Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not happy with quilting class >

Not happy with quilting class

Not happy with quilting class

Old 02-28-2016, 07:28 AM

I am also a self taught quilter, a graduate from sewing clothing. I take classes to meet other quilters. Sometimes I learn something, but I love talking to the others in the class. Sometimes there is something that I don't like, but that is OK I just keep my mouth shut and keep on with the project. I can't believe there are teachers out there who are critical and sarcastic but still get hired to teach classes. Try to identify why you took that particular class and try to enjoy the time spent with other quilters. If it is not meeting your needs then drop it. It seems like something is missing with your story. If the instructor is making you feel inferior, you should drop the class. Remember, there are always several ways to do something. Good luck with your decision.
Sue
Old 02-28-2016, 07:35 AM

I agree with other posters regarding analyzing what is making you unhappy. I attended a one day class with a national teacher last fall and she made a point of saying that we had paid her, now please try her way of doing it. After the class you are free to ignore or meld techniques.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:37 AM

I am self-taught and only took one class back in the early 1990s as a college extension fun night class. That was back before rotary cutters etc. The teacher was great. But I have never taken another class because I tend to be a personality that likes to self-learn just about anything. I didn't take the study classes for a work certification but passed them all, etc.

So I say if you aren't enjoying it, you stop attending. It's up to you if you think you have a case to get your money back. If your techniques work for you, then they do! There is no "right" or "only" way to do just about anything in the quilting world.....
Old 02-28-2016, 07:37 AM

I, too, am self taught and been quilting for 2 years. I do simple quilts ... usually strip quilts, but have made a few block quilts ... and don't use a real pattern - just make up my on design...except for a Bargello I'm working on. That is probably why I've never taken a class ... guess I'm a little free spirited. The Bargello (by Eileen Wright) is the only pattern (so far) that spoke to me enough that I wanted to make it. I love seeing all the intricate quilts and appliqued quilts and think how beautiful they are and appreciate all the work that went into them ... I just prefer to do simple piecing and work to improve my quilting since I like that part more.

If you are being used as a poor example in class, simply tell your instructor you are there to learn and not be made an example of. That should get his/her attention. If it's the project itself ... meaning, it isn't the "style" of quilt you enjoy making...you have to decide if you want to learn that pattern or not.

Most importantly, as others have stated, don't let anyone (not even a world class, awarding winning instructor) take away your fun/joy/pleasure of quilting. Remember, they were a "beginner" at one point. Some of us quilters aspire to make "simple" quilts and others "show" quilts but it should not mean we can't enjoy each others work and be respectful of where each of us are on our quilting journey. I believe this Board gets that and find the members very encouraging.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:49 AM

How many classes are you signed up for and how much did you invest in it? I am self taught and follow my rules. I enjoy classes simply for the company. I do get myself in trouble because I can read a pattern and directions and move on with the project. The teacher has her way and tips for us that may not be my way. I still do my thing but listen for tips to make the process easier. If you are vested too much $ and are not enjoying any part just give it up. Otherwise just go and enjoy the company and don't worry about the teacher. Consider it a sit and sew
Old 02-28-2016, 08:10 AM

*** Finish the class if it is already paid for
*** then go home and do it your way.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:21 AM

Very sorry you are unhappy with the quilting class. Quilting is supposed to be a very relaxing hobby. For me it relieves alot of stress of my every day life. Even if I sew or quilt for an hour day it always makes the day look brighter. I hope this class does not discourage you from continuing on your quilting journey. If the class makes you so unhappy, I think maybe you should consider not attending any longer. I have taken a few classes and really do not enjoy them-I find I do better just teaching myself by trial and error. Good luck in your decision and please don't give up this wonderful hobby.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

The instructor began to single me out knowing I was a beginner quilter and using the words, ignorant, stupid, yankee redneck. I got up started packing my things and she has the gall to call me a quitter.
Simply Awful! I doubt I would have handled that as gracefully as you did. I have been to some boring classes but never where the teacher was so rude and ignorant.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:39 AM

Drop the class! Why would you stick it out just because you paid for it?!!

You pay a lot for a really posh dinner, too and what do you get from that? If you hated it it, would you go back for another?

Have you ever bought a piece of non-returnable clothing, then never ended up wearing it? ('course you could make a quilt).
If you feel you are wasting your time and are frustrated then its not worth $10,000!
Old 02-28-2016, 11:01 AM

If the classes are less than half done, I would ask for a refund in part and explain why.
They may not agree with you and you may not get any money back, but you will have given them a heads up about how their instructor is treating students.
OTOH, if it is just a difference of opinion in techniques, I would stick it out and you can always learn something, even if it's how NOT to do it.
I've taken many riding clinics with my horse...some with Olympic level riders....and some can teach and some cannot. However, I will go along with what they are teaching me for the hour even if I don't think I'll ever use it again because somewhere down the road, that technique might be exactly what I need.
If an instructor was belittling me, I'd stand up and make sure they thought twice before they ever did it again to anyone else.
Watson