Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not happy with quilting class >

Not happy with quilting class

Not happy with quilting class

Old 02-28-2016, 05:30 AM

Another self-taught quilter here who came to the quilting world from a garment/home dec sewing background. The only class I have taken is for paper piecing because I just couldn't grasp the concept from reading/trying. That said, my LQS hosts a 'Saturday Sampler' program each year. You buy the first month's fabrics for the blocks, then each subsequent month that you return with the previous month's completed block, you get your next month's fabrics for free. I like it from a 'skill building' perspective. It keeps your fingers in the process when life gets in the way. Also teaches you different techniques for different blocks, etc. I usually end up doing things the way they 'teach' you for any given month's block but not always.

I would continue with the class unless there is a straight up personality clash with the instructor or some other personal issue. If it's the techniques you are being taught that are stressing you, just take what you want from the class and leave the rest behind.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

If you want to quilt your way then don't sign up for classes. Every instructor has their way of doing things and it is what they teach.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:55 AM

As a long term educator I want to say if the problem is the manner in which you are being taught (criticism, autocratic attitude of the teacher, repeatedly be used as an example in a negative way) ask for a prorated refund and drop the class. Just because a person can "do something" doesn't mean they can teach how to do it. Teaching and coaching are skills separate from the subject matter. Unfortunately many have the attitude " teach it, sure, how hard can it be?"
Old 02-28-2016, 06:03 AM

Sorry for the negative experience. I just don't enjoy sewing anywhere but my own sewing space where everything is the right height and familiar. Certainly depends on your ultimate goal--but if you quilt just for fun, I'd say drop the class.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I went to a class and was so bored I nearly fell asleep. I stuck it out for about an hour. Yes, not a long time. Then water hit the hot oil in the skillet so to speak. The instructor began to single me out knowing I was a beginner quilter and using the words, ignorant, stupid, yankee redneck. I got up started packing my things and she has the gall to call me a quitter. I told her I was past putting up with her mean tactics and there are just too many better quilters out there who probably never took her class and got awards. Told the quilt shop who held the class I wanted my money back or I was going to let everyone know through the quilting world the type person she was and her tactics for teaching. I turned around and was followed by more than half the class. She had no choice but to return our money. I saw this woman again at that last quilt show and she was the same woman who criticized machine quilting. If you don't like the class tell them why and ask for your money back. There are too many others on YouTube and the different sites to learn different methods. They don't single you out and make you feel bad. I can not learn from someone who is a boring, egotistical teacher. Their way or the highway. I'm taking my own path and know I'll get help some where along the way and enjoy the process.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

How many classes are there? Have you paid in advance? Will they refund what you have not used yet? Aside from it not being what you had expected, you may want to consider it monetarily.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

WOW, I had the same problem too of being picked on by someone I admired locally. When I found out she had entered a quilt in the same class one year in the big show out here in So CA, I was surprised when a 2nd place ribbon hung on my quilt. I did feel that the first place quilt deserved the award and it was one of the quilts that was on the intro of Simple Quilts. But it never hurts to be open to new techniques. That is a challenge for me personally. I myself who was very close to the quilt shop I use to get reference for my quilting services, I would speak privately with the owner.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:08 AM

I've taken some classes where I didn't particularly care for the teacher's technique, but I continued because I always seem to learn something from classes. That being said, quilting should be fun so I'm afraid you are the only one that can answer your question. If you really dread it, then maybe it would be best to move on to something else.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:08 AM

I frequently find classes boring.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:24 AM

Reading some of these comments and it isn't enticing to me to go to a quilt class. Critical, belittling, rude. Whoo! Sounds like a disaster. I'm sure there are good instructors out there, but it's a shame that some of you have had such bad experiences.