Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not to keep stirring the pot, but.... >

Not to keep stirring the pot, but....

Not to keep stirring the pot, but....

Old 09-03-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I never got a response from a lawyer, but I did Google it and basically I'd say we've covered the issue every way there is to cover it. Use common sense and if you are not sure, find out. If there are copyrights to something, just don't use it if you are afraid you are infringing, or get permission. Basically, I'd say that's it. If you are planning on selling a quilt, copying a pattern or showing it in a fair or show, contact the owner/publisher/designer/creator and get permission. Basically that's it in a nutshell.
that should end the subject nicely :thumbup:
Old 09-03-2010, 05:22 AM

This was a very good discution that we had and it did clear up a lot things when it comes to using patterns and the copy right. I am sure that it helped a lot of the board members and other people who come on the board.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:56 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
This was a very good discution that we had and it did clear up a lot things when it comes to using patterns and the copy right. I am sure that it helped a lot of the board members and other people who come on the board.
Amen to all of that!!
Now on to pleasanter things. :lol:
Old 09-03-2010, 07:23 AM

I am so sick of reading about copy right infringement. I have read the whole US Copy Right law in the last few days. It seems since the beginning of the world there have been copy right infringement. God gave us the ability to use whatever talents he gave to us. That was from the beginning of time and even when Noah built the Arc. We use circles, squares, triangles, flower cut outs, plaids, solid colors, fabric of flowers, etc. You name it, it is our God given talent and the talent of those who designed these elements. If I could design a car, I had the talent, I don't but somebody did. Just think about that and don't worry about what we do for quilting and giving and using designs. If we were major manufacturers, we probably would need to worry. Think about that also. We are just a bunch of ladies enjoying ourselves and many are using it to supplement their income.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

I just read that McCalls is doing another followup article in the October issue. Oh Boy!
Old 09-04-2010, 05:16 AM
JJs
Banned

where they will say something to the effect: "we didn't mean public domain blocks, just the designs made using them" ...

It all makes no sense, and the sooner everybody figures out that it makes no sense the better off they will be.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I think they have had so many people contact them that they are doing another article.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I think they have had so many people contact them that they are doing another article.
Of course they have. But that doesn't mean that they'll say anything that will satisfy every person on this board. My feeling is that we've heard (read) all of the different arguments, reasons, and possible solutions that exist! Now we should just make up our own, independent minds, about what we'll do. Not all of us are out there selling our wares and trying to avoid being caught by the copyright police. Most of us don't even need to waste time thinking about copyright since we won't be doing anything illegal anyhow. Just my opinion and I'm sticking with it. 8-) :mrgreen:
Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 AM

I also subscribe to a few magazines, and have made quilts from the patterns that they showcase (with exact instructions, I might add). I understand if I buy a pattern at a shop or show that I should not make copies to give to anyone. But, what would happen if someone else bought the pattern and fabric, gave both to me, and paid me to make the quilt? Is that copyright infringement because I "sold" the quilt I made from the pattern he/she bought?

Does anyone have experience being paid to make a quilt from a purchased or magazine pattern?

I'm confused as to the message the magazines are sending to us.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bev
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Of course they have. But that doesn't mean that they'll say anything that will satisfy every person on this board. My feeling is that we've heard (read) all of the different arguments, reasons, and possible solutions that exist! Now we should just make up our own, independent minds, about what we'll do. Not all of us are out there selling our wares and trying to avoid being caught by the copyright police. Most of us don't even need to waste time thinking about copyright since we won't be doing anything illegal anyhow. Just my opinion and I'm sticking with it. 8-) :mrgreen:
I know they won't say anythig different, I just thought it was interesting that they want to keep stirring the pot, so to speak.