Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not sure about this quilt >

Not sure about this quilt

Not sure about this quilt

Old 05-04-2014, 08:57 AM

I would love to have it and I'm over 60. I think the brighter something is the more interesting it is to look at. I'd say go for it with the stipulation that if she doesn't love it you'll make her something else and she can help you pick the fabrics.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 AM

I am 66 and I love your quilt. If those are the colors she likes, I would just finish it up and give it to her. You said you wanted something more sophisticated, but there are a lot of us "sixties" folks who don't think of ourselves as sophisticated. I wouldn't know what to do with a sophisticated quilt, but I sure would use yours.

Your quilt is not childish, it is cheerful.

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 05-04-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:30 AM

It is a great quilt but I think I see your problem with it.......it's very busy and yes it has a Juvenal feel to it. If your aunt is younger at heart and likes brighter more colorful things then it will be fine. Maybe your hesitant because it's not color choices you usually make and it's out of your comfort zone. I am in the process of choosing fabrics to make a quilt for my MIL (over 70) and wold not feel comfortable giving this quilt to her. But nothing about this looks or feels like her.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Fun and funky quilt top! It will depend on your aunt, if she is like Aunty Mame, she'll love it.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Could you send her a photo and ask her? Maybe provide an alternative set of fabrics? Would eliminate some guessing! Or, make another quilt top and then let her choose which one she wants (and donate the other).
Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 AM

I agree. It totally depends on her. If she is open about her love of those colors, then it is very, very possible that she will love this quilt. Why not ask her?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:43 AM

same here I'm over 60 and love the colors.... pretty quilt
Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 AM

I can't ask her as it's a surprise, but I did ask my sister what she thought earlier today and she thinks it might be a bit too busy as well. I do like the idea of making another one and seeing which one she likes though...that might be the plan for me!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:59 AM

I am in the 60's group and personally I would love it if any of the multitiude of my nieces, nieces in law, nephews, great- nieces etc made me a quilt. Or even my daughter or son! (They all love the quilts I make them!) I would use any quilt proudly.

My point is you should do what your heart says. It is a lovely quilt. She will love it if she loves you! If you feel better doing another one, that's great too. I never though try to make a quilt for someones's bedroom decor. People change too much!

Oh and for your border question: every time someone adds a border to "make the quilt bigger" the end result looks like the border was an afterthought and was added to make the quilt bigger. My opinion. This quilt does not need a border. It looks complete without one.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:06 AM

I did not think 'juvenile' when I saw the quilt. I thought, "cute". Like many of you, I love bright colors too!

Does your aunt like bright colors? If it matches your aunt's personality it's perfect. Don't worry if it doesn't match her bedroom. Someone once said, "true art doesn't have to match your couch ". Especially if she's going through a hard time or something, pretty colors are up-lifting.

As an auntie, I will say receiving a quilt from you will be joyous, no matter what it looks like....

Last edited by TeresaA; 05-04-2014 at 10:11 AM.