Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not sure about this quilt >

Not sure about this quilt

Not sure about this quilt

Old 05-04-2014, 10:09 AM

I love the bright colors.

If you are just wanting to "tone it down"... you could possibly take the "big" blocks apart and add white sashing to each color block to put a little space in between them.

I think it would really look super and also it would increase your size without looking like you just slapped a border around it.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:16 AM

My aunt was 75, she has always loved pink. I made the rail fence with 4 pinks - rather bright for my taste, but my mother told me my aunt loved pink and the more the pink the better she liked it. But if you looked at her homes you never would have known pink was her favorite color. She loved the quilt so much she actually travels with it. She splits her time between Los Angeles and Kansas - and this quilt goes with her.

Something in those fabrics made you think of your aunt, so more than likely she is going to love it. And I agree, with sewmary, you don't need to add a border - it is a good size just the way it it.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:45 AM

Oh gosh, you guys! I'd pretty much come to terms with making another one, but you've all been so lovely, I'm back to wondering if it might be right after all!
My original plan was to have sashing, although the big blocks actually had one of each colour in them, so the sashing would have been in between all the ones of the same colour, then I laid it out with them all together (was having trouble choosing the right sashing fabric) and it looked better than with any of the potential sashing fabrics so went with it and decided to do a border instead. I even made a thin pieced border to try and make it look like I hadn't just plonked a border on it...so it would be plain border, pieced border, plain border.
I might just put the border on and see if I like it more then...if not, I can always take it back off!
Thank you all so much for your advice...I think I always get nervous with quilts for other people as to whether they will like them or not. I made a tardis quilt for a Dr who nut and got nervous that he wouldn't like it! He's a Dr who nut, how could he not like it! I haven't given it to him yet but I am now sure he will like it!
Old 05-04-2014, 12:42 PM

Trust your gut, you know your Aunt. Most aunts would love anything made with love by a niece in colors they liked. I know I would.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:47 PM

I think it has a very modern esthetic. And I love it, too and am over 60.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:25 PM

I agree its a playful, cheerful quilt and has her favorite colors in it. Trust me, she will love it!
Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 PM

I am over 60 and I love it also. I could have used it a few hours ago, while I took a nap.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Well, I'm over 60 and I LOVE it! Are you intending it for a bed quilt that would match her decor or just a wonderful cuddly quilt for her to enjoy while watching TV etc?
Same here! I'm just a little over 60 (haha-- almost 74) and I love it too. I don't worry about matchy-matchy if it's intended for cuddling. Worrying about the colors for something that is meant to be used as part of her decor is something else. I'd bet she'll love it, too.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:21 PM

I love the quilt, looks great,

I agree with someone above who said it doesnt need a border, just quilt it and slap a binding on piece the binding from strips in the quilt

Now if you want a border, here is what I would do,
1. I would put a 1.5in border (cut at 2ins) of snow white (it is softer color than stark white)
2. then I would make piano key border out of the fabrics from the interior, so do the 3 pink fabrics, 3 blue fabrics, 3 green fabrics, 3 pink fabrics..etc. Cut them 2.5in x 4.5 ins, that will make a 4in border and match the "rectangle" look of the interior.
3. Bind with the snow white from the inner border, this will frame out the whole quilt.

Hugs!
Old 05-04-2014, 03:30 PM

I think this quilt will make your Aunt feel young and happy.