Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not sure of the color to use >

Not sure of the color to use

Not sure of the color to use

Old 11-21-2009, 01:13 PM

I vote the red tone or the blue tone (red being my first choice).. there is limited blue in the quilt.. it has a very cottage feel those colors and patterns so why not keep with that? I think the blue would give it a romantic cool feeling and a red would give it a sweetheart femine feel.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:01 PM

i would go with a white or soft pink because when i looki at it i see pastels
Old 11-21-2009, 06:26 PM

I vote a medium to dark green, but not TOO dark.

I would take the squares to a quilt shop and pick various shades of green and see what works best.

I personally like white, but I think in this case, white would wash them all out. That's just my opinion.

I guess, after thinking about white again, though, it would depend upon how WIDE you are going to make the sashing. If you made it very wide, I think white would wash the colors out.

If you made it a THIN sashing, then I think white would be excellent.

Just remember - there are NO quilt police. This is YOUR quilt, so you should pick what YOU like.

To be honest, when I first started quilting, some 30 years ago, I ended up buying fabric at my local fabric shops, because they were the choice of the fabric shop owner, not MY choice, and a lot of those fabrics are still in my sewing room... unused...

Brenda
Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 PM

As far as the real color to use, it does not much matter. Choose the color you like best in all the squares. Then, use a "dark" value of that color. If you like green, use a dark green. It does not have to be too dark, but it needs to be darker substantially than your darkest green in the blocks. If you like Red, use a dark red. The sashing in a dark value will make the blocks "pop out"...If the sashing is not dark, your blocks will merge with the sashing and you will not be able to see them. If you choose a white sashing, that will work, but any block that is almost white will get lost also. Keep the print tiny in the sashing since the prints are tiny in the blocks. This would look great with a different color squares at the intersections of the sashing. It would even be great with small star blocks in the sashing intersections...
It will be lovely in any colors you choose. Please post a new picture when done.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:15 AM

I'd go green for a more updated look. A darker beige tone on tone for an old fashioned look. I'm not real big on white unless it really enhances the fabric. A lot of color choice depends on what the quilt is for and where it will be used, not necessarily just the fabric colors. Try a bunch of different colors and tones against your squares until you find the one that just says "YES - I"M THE ONE!!!" Good luck! Picking fabrics is the best part of quilting!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:33 AM

Green
Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 PM

I like white for that, even though it's out of my color scheme
Old 11-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Go with green!
Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 11-22-2009, 11:00 PM

a darker olive green color would be my pick.. although I have some lovely dk green with cream uneven stripe that might be interesting.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM

I agree with the green! A darker version of what is on those 2 pieces in the picture.