Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Not sure what to do >
  • Not sure what to do

• Not sure what to do

Old 05-30-2012, 05:31 AM

Could be one of two problems.
    Not 1/4 inch seams
    Poor quality fabric that frayed when washed.

Potential answer
    Make bias tape strips and sew over all seams to encase the troubled seams. Though you do not have to use bias strips, it can be cut on the straight-of-grain.
    SandyQulter
    Old 05-30-2012, 06:36 AM

If it were me, I'd get some of the scraps, cut and fuse a circle ( or a layered circle) overtop the area that frayed, and then appliqué it down. I'd machine appliqué, but you could do it by hand if you like. I think the colors and quilt would look fine with a few playful circles! Call it a "design decision"!
    Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 AM

Bot seeing a picture, could you use wide rick-rack and sew down both sides of the seam?
    Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 AM

Glad you were able to repair it easily. I've had problems when I make hst by sewing and cutting apart. I usually catch the ones that don't have enough seem before I put then into a project.

In the beginning of my quilting career, I had that happen alot because I wasn't very good with my 1/4" seem. Fortunately all my quilts went to family members who had no problems bringing it back to me for repairs. I'm much better now.
    Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 AM

Is it already quilted? Washing just the top can cause this to happen, no matter how careful with seam allowances you are.

Not seeing the quilt...my first thought is 1/4" or 1/2" ribbon...Use Steam a seam (it's got a slight sticky on it, so sticks to the ribbon and quilt before you press it with the iron. ...once you have all the seams covered (I would use long strips of ribbon, and just crosshatch them following the seams) and ironed down.. stitch down both edges of the ribbon to secure it. You could also use flat lace, and even just the decorative stitches on your machine...honeycomb stitch, etc.
    Originally Posted by hsweany
    I just took my crib size quilt from the washer and everywhere I had joined triangles is ripped open. I made the triangles by sewing two seams close to the diagonal center and then cutting. I guess I must have cut too close to the seam???? What can I do to fix this? Thanks for your help.
    Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 AM

Also, next time try using a shorter stitch length. Maybe a 1.5 or 2, if your machine uses that kind of measurement.
    Old 05-30-2012, 10:59 AM

I am so sorry that this happened, I would zigzag over the seams where there was an issue, or applique something. I think it may have been caused by many issues, loosely woven fabric (may have been already starting to shred while you sewed), small seam allowances, or a large length sewing stitch. It is still a beautiful quilt. It hurts to see this happen!!
    Old 05-31-2012, 06:01 AM

Since it is a baby quilt, could you get some rick rack, ribbon,etc. and stitch it over (on top of ) the seams? You could call it a texture quilt as babits love to feel different textures.
    Old 05-31-2012, 06:05 AM

I would try to do a blind whip stitch to close the gaps if there are not to many and are not very long. Each thing we do is a learning experience. Don't feel bad, I do stuff like this all the time! Good luck.