Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A note that every quilter wants to read, at least once >

A note that every quilter wants to read, at least once

A note that every quilter wants to read, at least once

Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 PM

My sister-in-law died before her time. One of her goals was to make a quilt for each of her 4 children.
She collected the fabrics and pattern for each. Unfortunately, she died at 51 years old from lung cancer.
Our small group of quilters took on the project and completed the four quilts and presented them to her
children from Christmas one year later. They were thrilled. It was our way of remembering a special lady.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Jim

What a great gesture from you and your sil...it was great blessing for you to take on the task and it was a blessing from your sil to realize it with such a thoughtful gesture of sending you the note....

My MIL has told everyone I am to get her stash and ufo's. I dread that day...I love my MIL so much and would despise and love at the same time having her stash..knowing she would be gone but loved me enough to leave me with something she cherished so much
Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 AM

Such a wonderful thing to do!!! I am sure she is resting more peacfullly now knowing her wishes are still coming true. My mother did the same thing when her mom passed away back in 2001, and the first one she completed was a wedding quilt for my cousin she had started and was unable to finish. My grandmother who loved to quilt and was very active suffered from Parkinson's the last ten years of her life.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful story Every quilter's dream.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by debbiecharlie View Post
Love it!!! and your sister in law realizes that every stitch you made was in love also...that is the most important thing!!! The quilts will hold your story for many years!!!! Hugs to you!!!
I totally agree!!! I am very proud of you for finishing the quilts - such a tribute to your mil and the rest of the family - I am so glad that your SIL took the time to acknowledge your labor of love - she too is special - It sounds like you belong to a very loving family - Thats what life is all about.

You have given me inspiration to make quilts for my daughters from blocks their grandma (my mom) made years back before she pasted. i have been afraid to do them - just wanted to do them justice-now I realize no matter how I do them it will be with love and thats all that matters - thanks for that!!!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:27 AM

we should all be so blessed to be appreciated that much...you are a treasure to your family, glad they know that.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by bcap911 View Post
My sister-in-law died before her time. One of her goals was to make a quilt for each of her 4 children.
She collected the fabrics and pattern for each. Unfortunately, she died at 51 years old from lung cancer.
Our small group of quilters took on the project and completed the four quilts and presented them to her
children from Christmas one year later. They were thrilled. It was our way of remembering a special lady.
. Bcap, I'm so sorry to hear of your SIL passing so young. Your quilting group sure worked hard to get 4 quilts done in a year for her children.
Hugs,
Jennie
Old 12-03-2011, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
This is what quilting and family should be all about. Very touching and what a positive affirmation; caring so much for your MIL, continuing and finishing her legacy, and kudos to your extended family for them to reciprocate with the note. Would your family be interested in adopting a slightly worn 58 year old? I've had my shots, am housebroken and can quilt, quilt and bake.
Hi Southp: we'd love another sister. You're definitely qualified. We can swap cookies and fabric!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:20 AM

You have a very loving heart and it's great to see you acts of kindness are also received with love. Your DMIL must be smiling down on you.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by jenniepenny View Post
some of you know that my mother in law was the person who started me on my quilting journey. She is no longer with me, but i have made it a mission to finish up her many wip's. I finished up something recently that she wanted to give to her oldest grandson (he is in college). I saw him and his mother at thanksgiving, and gave a quilt to him, from his grand-ma. She passed 3 years ago. Two of his younger cousins have also gotten quilts from their grandmother since then.

Here is the nice note i just got from my sister in law:

"jennie,
your gesture of the quilts are the most loving and thoughtful thing, so thank you for that jenn. Mom would be thrilled. Every time i think about you doing it, it brings tears to my eyes. The latest is absolutely gorgeous. Ross loves it, i love it! You are a kind woman, i am lucky to have you for a sister-in-law.

Sandra"

note, i don't have a picture of the quilt. It was simple, yet masculine, done in tan, burgundy, and hunter green. It wouldn't win any beauty contests, so the love is what matters here.

But i hope that at some point, you all feel this sense of appreciation from a non quilter.
love comes in all ways to good people like you,you are truely one of a kind may god bless you richly with his mercy and love