Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A note that every quilter wants to read, at least once

A note that every quilter wants to read, at least once

Some of you know that my mother in law was the person who started me on my quilting journey. She is no longer with me, but I have made it a mission to finish up her many WIP's. I finished up something recently that she wanted to give to her oldest grandson (he is in college). I saw him and his mother at Thanksgiving, and gave a quilt to him, from his grand-ma. She passed 3 years ago. Two of his younger cousins have also gotten quilts from their grandmother since then.

Here is the nice note I just got from my sister in law:

"Jennie,
    Your gesture of the quilts are the most loving and thoughtful thing, so thank you for that Jenn. Mom would be thrilled. Every time I think about you doing it, it brings tears to my eyes. The latest is absolutely gorgeous. Ross loves it, I love it! You are a kind woman, I am lucky to have you for a sister-in-law.

Sandra"

Note, I don't have a picture of the quilt. It was simple, yet masculine, done in tan, burgundy, and hunter green. It wouldn't win any beauty contests, so the love is what matters here.

But I hope that at some point, you all feel this sense of appreciation from a non quilter.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

That is so nice!! Way to go for finishing her works of art for those she loved.
    Kathy

Your sister-in-law is right Jennie! What you are doing is so loving and thoughtful and it brings tears to my eyes too!
    Someday when we are gone, may we all have a dear one who cares as much as you do and who continues to remind those we loved of how much we cherished them!

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing the heartwarming story
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Jennie your so lucky to have gotten such a heart felt statement of love from your sister-in-law.
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

What a nice story! Brought tears to my eyes too.
    Fat Quarters have fewer calories than a Hot Fudge Sundae!
    http://debsquiltsandthings.blogspot.com/

Bless you Jennie for doing this; what a wonderful and thoughtful gesture on your part!
    Kathleen
    Retired, and love quilting!

Banned
    Brought a smile to my face.

Stories like yours make it all worthwhile, thank you so much for sharing!

Love it!!! and your sister in law realizes that every stitch you made was in love also...that is the most important thing!!! The quilts will hold your story for many years!!!! Hugs to you!!!

Aw, that's lovely! What a kind thing you are doing - how wonderful that it's appreciated!

And your SIL is a keeper, too - people don't express appreciation very often any more - someone who knows how to say "thank you" - they're real gifts to us, aren't they?

Blog Entries
    We quilters have been given the gift to create memories for our loved ones. What a wonderful gift you have give, and it is heart warming to hear how it was received.

Blog Entries
    how sweet! thank you for sharing
    I quilt for my sanity!

Blog Entries
    Awwww. So sweet.

Blog Entries
    It is so touching that you are getting this well deserved recognition and that these quilts are being appreciated and loved
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

I love your story. Bless you for giving those quilts from their Grandma. A gift like that is priceless!

Wonderful story!!Good to know that there are such caring people in this world.

Blog Entries
    So glad you were recognized for your thoughtfulness!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

This is what quilting and family should be all about. Very touching and what a positive affirmation; caring so much for your MIL, continuing and finishing her legacy, and kudos to your extended family for them to reciprocate with the note. Would your family be interested in adopting a slightly worn 58 year old? I've had my shots, am housebroken and can quilt, quilt and bake.

Bless you for doing these quilts! What a fabulous and special gift each quilt is~~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    My sister-in-law died before her time. One of her goals was to make a quilt for each of her 4 children.
    She collected the fabrics and pattern for each. Unfortunately, she died at 51 years old from lung cancer.
    Our small group of quilters took on the project and completed the four quilts and presented them to her
    children from Christmas one year later. They were thrilled. It was our way of remembering a special lady.

Jim
    What a great gesture from you and your sil...it was great blessing for you to take on the task and it was a blessing from your sil to realize it with such a thoughtful gesture of sending you the note....

My MIL has told everyone I am to get her stash and ufo's. I dread that day...I love my MIL so much and would despise and love at the same time having her stash..knowing she would be gone but loved me enough to leave me with something she cherished so much
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Senior Member Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations's Avatar
    Such a wonderful thing to do!!! I am sure she is resting more peacfullly now knowing her wishes are still coming true. My mother did the same thing when her mom passed away back in 2001, and the first one she completed was a wedding quilt for my cousin she had started and was unable to finish. My grandmother who loved to quilt and was very active suffered from Parkinson's the last ten years of her life.

Beautiful story Every quilter's dream.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbiecharlie View Post
    Love it!!! and your sister in law realizes that every stitch you made was in love also...that is the most important thing!!! The quilts will hold your story for many years!!!! Hugs to you!!!
    I totally agree!!! I am very proud of you for finishing the quilts - such a tribute to your mil and the rest of the family - I am so glad that your SIL took the time to acknowledge your labor of love - she too is special - It sounds like you belong to a very loving family - Thats what life is all about.

You have given me inspiration to make quilts for my daughters from blocks their grandma (my mom) made years back before she pasted. i have been afraid to do them - just wanted to do them justice-now I realize no matter how I do them it will be with love and thats all that matters - thanks for that!!!
    Grandmas are just antique little girls!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast