Novice Quilter >

Novice Quilter

Novice Quilter

Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 AM

Hi Penni,

Where in Texas are you?
Maureen
Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 AM

I want to thank everyone for replying and all of the encouragement I have received. I made one queen size pieced quilt top many years ago after taking a class but I gave it away after finishing as my color scheme in my bedroom changed when we moved to Texas. Right now, I will be focusing on baby quilts for two reasons. 1. Three of my 6 children are now married and I know at least two of my children are hoping to start a family in the near future. 2. The size of the quilt will allow me to build my skills and allow me to see progress on my days off from work. I will be returning to work on Monday morning : ( returning after 6 weeks off after an injury and surgery ). Although I enjoy my job it was being off all these weeks that allowed me to plan, learn and get back to sewing and pick up quilting again. I really don't want to share my time with work.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 PM

I am a real newbie. I made my first quilt last fall, it was for a new grand baby. I swore I would never do another. Took a class and they all knew it was my one and only. However, took another beginning class, completed another quilt on my own just a couple of weeks ago and helped my 14 year old granddaughter make her first this week while she was staying with me. It was a real case of the blind leading the blind but I am now having a blast and think I'm hooked! I look for help everywhere and actually got on this site through a post on a knitting forum! Granddaughter had a wonderful time, too. Oh, and I can't believe how many members of my family have chimed in that they want a quilt, too!

Last edited by Limeygal; 04-11-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Additional sentence
Old 04-12-2014, 03:41 AM

I'm a beginner !!!

I made my first quilt 8 years ago, made it up as i went along. 2 years ago i made my first couple of rag quilts. And then about 2 months ago i made my first "real" quilt. I managed to crank a few lap/throw sized quilts out pretty quick and now i'm slowing down because i am attempting bigger and more involved patterns.

I have been sewing forever but never really progressed beyond beginner Never really had a need to. I have a feeling that i'm going to be at the beginner level of quilting for some time too lol
Old 04-12-2014, 03:46 AM

I have been sewing, mostly garments, since I was a young girl and along the way made a baby quilt which I hand quilted but didn't really get into quilting until about 10 years ago when I took a class. I sew nearly every day now that I'm retired but am always learning something new. For me the enjoyment comes in always challenging myself to try a new technique or become better at something rather than to see how many quilts I can get done. While I enjoy the finished product it's getting there that's the real prize for me. I have learned so much from this site. I start my morning every day by reading the daily digest. What wonderful people are on here!
Old 04-12-2014, 04:08 AM

I've been quilting for over 30 years and I have learned so much from the members of this board. Welcome to the best community of quilters on the 'net. You can ask questions when you're stuck, ask for opinions and ask for just about anything and the members of this board will be right there for you. I've never experienced the generosity of a group like that of the members of this board.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:51 AM

You're in good company. I don't do a lot of quilting, but the info here often applies to other sewing techniques and projects or the equipment and notions we use. Lots here whatever your experience.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:25 AM

Hello fellow Texan. I'm also a beginning quilter, am working on my first machine quilted one now.
I like to stand back and watch how it's done before jumping in, so I've been reading this board and looking at pictures for several months now. I can't believe how helpful people are on this board, it's amazing how much effort some of them will go through to answer questions!
Old 04-12-2014, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I'm a beginning again. Hadn't done any quilting for quite a while and so many new techniques blending with old one. There are no dumb questions. Dumb questions are usually never asked.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:39 AM

I started quilting three years ago when I joined this board. I took lessons at the local quilt shop and learned a lot. But I have to say, I learned more from all the wonderful quilters on this board, than I ever did in the classroom. I learn something every day from from these wonderful people and I love them!!!