Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Now it has  happened  and I don't want it! >

Now it has happened and I don't want it!

Now it has happened and I don't want it!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by watson's mom
I have startd saying 'No' also, people take advantage of you if you don't. I don't tell anyone to learn to quilt for themselves, they might ask me to teach them and if I don't have time to quilt for them, I sure don't have time to teach them either. This might sound mean or selfish but I worked for 33 years in a car plant and now I just want to do what I want to do.
I fully understand your last statement. It is exactly how I feel now that I'm retired. The problem is that I could easily become a hermit. I hate making commitments, even for lunch or dinner. After 2 years of retirement, I still feel that way, so am going to force myself back into the world...someday!
Old 09-19-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
I always say, "I'd love to, my starting price is $450.00". That generally makes them change the conversation to something else. Works for me.
Don't forget --starting price before the fabrics and threads and batting, etc. ROFL Also, Cash in advance. Amazing how it just disappears as a topic of conversation.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by MonkeeGirl
Sounds like some folks I know!

Just go on and tell them you will be glad to do their quilts WHEN you have the time. Also, tell them that THEY have to go with you to purchase the material, the thread, and that there is no way you could possibly do the quilting yourself. Find 3 quotes for long-armers. Go with the highest as she/he will be the best. Don't forget to add the $15 per hour of your time and that your machine will need to be serviced and cleaned before and after doing their quilt. By now you will be into the many hundreds of dollars. Chances are, you won't be forced to do the quilt! This has actually worked for me...I only do quilts I want to do, when I want to do them.
I can see that you have done this before...
;)
Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 PM

Thats great. Chances are when they see just the cost of the material they don't want it done that bad. I've started doing that too. Either "no" or we'll go shopping and you can buy all the stuff. You get out of alot of extra work that way. :thumbup:
Old 09-19-2010, 11:24 PM

I would just say no myself , as I like doing them as my Hobby
and I hate the ideal of being pressured to make Quilts, so I
only make them and give them as gifts when I want to, not because someone else wants me to. :D
Old 09-20-2010, 12:15 AM

Tell them NO! Or quite a price they would be out of their ever loving mind to pay. :D To me, & I do take on a few commissioned quilts per year, but it takes the fun out of it & it then becomes work. :D If I wanted to work I would find a job & get a regualr paycheck every month. But I am spoiled & want to have fun. :D
Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 AM

The comments of friends may just be meant as compliments to you; a way of saying, "Your work is so beautiful that I would love to have something exactly like that." Accept the comments as compliments, unless someone does keep reminding you that you're expected to do free work for them.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 AM

Watson's mom and cathyvv: I know EXACTLY what both of you mean about having worked for so many years and now being retired and happy. I retired a few years ago and still feel like my batteries have run down, and I don't want them changed. I'm content any day that I have no plans or commitments and can just sit on the couch, watch tv, read, sew, quilt, watch the birds feeding or bathing outside my sunroom windows, or fall asleep--anything--none of it required or scheduled. Some days I'm reluctant even to answer the phone because that often means I'll be listening to other people's problems. No, I'm not depressed, sick, or lazy; I'm just content and happy--at last.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp
I usually say something like "I'll let you know when I have time to do it, I'm pretty booked right now".

tell them your about 18 months to 2 years behind. My mother thinks my stuff is so pretty, that i should sell some things, to make money. she just doesn't understand, that this is for MY enjoyment..if i was paid to make one, i would be so stressed that it be perfect..i just could not do it.
i have made quilts to be raffled off for charities,given as gifts..this is what i get enjoyment out of.
one social friend asked me to help her make a baby quilt,for her new grandchild,..and i did, i did the cutting, and she sewed it..we both enjoyed it, so much fun,teaching someone to piece ...
Old 09-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Power Poster

Yes, happens to me frequently. I say, "sure, after the projects I have in line, could take a while" and no one has asked what their status is. I think they know it is a "no", and I would not hesitate to say "No" if they asked again. I am very good at taking care of myself that way.