Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Now it has happened and I don't want it!

how about you do a reverse on her pick up everything she would need to make your husband a quilt hand her thread and a needle and tell her have at it your husband would be so surprised when she is done making it for you bet that changes her mind

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    I always say, "I'd love to, my starting price is $450.00". That generally makes them change the conversation to something else. Works for me.
    I'm with you Toni Marie, but I say $600. Works everytime!

Diane

that is a good comment i will have to member that next time i finish a quilt and someone says oh can i have that one i dont have a quilt yet dont these people understand how much money and time and thought goes into a quilt

This happens to me also.When ever I show things that I've
    made they always what me to make something for them.I simply answer 2 ways 1) I already have a job or if that doesn't work 2)"no,is a complete sentance"

Power Poster
    I tell them that the quilt shop has classes - and they would appreciate a quilt ever so much more if they make it themselves!

If they don't back off then, I have a very good - and long- monolog about what is involved in making a quilt - and why it would cost "a bit more" than the ones advertised in the chain store ads.

I always tell them to get what they need and bring it over and we can have a sew day and I will help to show them what to do startig with the cutting. So far if they have to do it they arent that interested and never ask again. We are still friends she just doesn't bring it any more and I don't question her why she doesn't want to sew with me? Ravonda

Blog Entries
    I agree with KATHY N's remark: "I have 30,000 quilts in mind that I would love to do for myself!!!!"

I figure I only need to live about another 437 years, approximately, to get around to all the designs I've seen that I'd like to make, just on this website! tee hee
    Okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration...

The best way to put people off is to mention an amount of money...."I usually charge $500 to custom quilt a finished top, and $400 to make it, as it usually takes 3 weeks to make one.However, because you are such a good friend, I could do it for you for only $700...." (They usually drop - off at this point).

community benefactor granmanellie's Avatar
    When people want me to quilt, hem, or sew anything I tell them I will teach them, like Leota said. We have quilting group at church. I offer to teach anyone who wants to learn. It takes care of the problem.

Just simply tell them that you will put their project on your list of things to do. Then tell them that you might get to it around 2020 if all goes according to schedule. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeeGirl
    Sounds like some folks I know!

Just go on and tell them you will be glad to do their quilts WHEN you have the time. Also, tell them that THEY have to go with you to purchase the material, the thread, and that there is no way you could possibly do the quilting yourself. Find 3 quotes for long-armers. Go with the highest as she/he will be the best. Don't forget to add the $15 per hour of your time and that your machine will need to be serviced and cleaned before and after doing their quilt. By now you will be into the many hundreds of dollars. Chances are, you won't be forced to do the quilt! This has actually worked for me...I only do quilts I want to do, when I want to do them.
    LOL, BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P :P :lol: :lol:

I loved your answer to her problem! Absolutely correct. I, too, have had people want me to make them a quilt but don"t want to pay over $50. They simply do not understand the cost of everything involved.

Is this a common problem, does ever quilter have people asking or should I say expecting that we are going to stop everything we are doing or want to do to get theirs done? Money doesn't even factor into this for me, because I am not interested enough to even discuss doing this, let alone the money part of it.I guess I had better get good at saying "NO" Thank you! Gues I didnt expect this part of quilting! I would never have the nerve to ask.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My neaghbor wants me to make a quilt for her, I told her she would have to buy fabric,batting, thread, the book, and depending on what the quilt pattern was, that quilts cost a lot to make, and it hurts me to sew, so I would not do it for cheap, I told her I am teaching myself to quilt, so they are not perfect and I could not do it this year at all. I think I am going to have to make it, and then she turned right back around and asked me to sew her pot holders, she said she just burned hers up, and said you could make those for me now can't you. I just got my grandsons jean quilt done, and have one week to get my sons done. I told her I just don't have time. her replie was, that it would not take you long, I told her I have to get these quilts done. She just seams to not listen, and really thinks I am going to do these thins for her. thank you for letting me vent. God bless.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by penny doty
    My neaghbor wants me to make a quilt for her, I told her she would have to buy fabric,batting, thread, the book, and depending on what the quilt pattern was, that quilts cost a lot to make, and it hurts me to sew, so I would not do it for cheap, I told her I am teaching myself to quilt, so they are not perfect and I could not do it this year at all. I think I am going to have to make it, and then she turned right back around and asked me to sew her pot holders, she said she just burned hers up, and said you could make those for me now can't you. I just got my grandsons jean quilt done, and have one week to get my sons done. I told her I just don't have time. her replie was, that it would not take you long, I told her I have to get these quilts done. She just seams to not listen, and really thinks I am going to do these thins for her. thank you for letting me vent. God bless.

Walmart sells nice ones for not much money.

Tell her you want $15 each, because they are custom made and take x amount of time to make.

I agree with the just say no. I'm not the person to tell any one what to say and not say because I always seem to get myself into trouble not saying no .
    Like the dog ribbons when she said she thought she was just going to toss them I said you worked to hard for those ribbons let me see what I can do with them. So see I'm a good one to open mouth and insert foot.
    But I told her that I was very slow and I was way behind on other projects. But like I say do as I say not as I do.
    But to be truthful it does sound like a challange to do something with all the ribbons. and If it doesn't turn out that great at least I tried. kjym

Deedum repeat after me. NO

Blog Entries
    then she turned right back around and asked me to sew her pot holders, she said she just burned hers up, and said you could make those for me now can't you.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Tell her that you'll put her name down, and when you get to it you'll do it. Before that, write down a long...LOOOONG list of things you have to do, with prices highlighted of fabrics, threads, batting, etc. And the final total in LARGE letters highlighted in brilliant yellow.

Blog Entries
    I get so many people that just assume I want to do things for them..
    --------------------------------------
    I thought this was just my own take on some of the people i know. I have no idea where they get this strange and unwelcome idea..probably from their parents who gave them new cars just for breathing in and out, so naturally assume that everyone else would go for what THEY want/need/see/want.

Nope, not this old gal. I turn off my hearing aids and make them yell out what they want, and then I loudly tell them what it would cost them for it..offends the heck out of some, but who cares! Like others say here, it's a hobby that I love, and I do it when I want and for whom I want, and as for others who want something for nothing, well, I hope they get what they deserve.
    Perhaps quilts made in China with stitches that come apart when the dog vomits on it and it has to be washed?

Sorry if I sound bitter, but that happens so often that now I rarely show things I've made to others, only to guests I've invited to my house and family. I also make Victorian doll houses (Maybe one a year) and bird houses, the doll houses take many, months of work on them now and then, and someone thinks it would make a marvelous present for THEIR grandchild or neighbor's kid whose parents THEY owe a gift.

Dee
    I just say NO!

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom
    If you eventually want to work for others thats fine.
    I don't.
    My answer to requests is "Sorry. No. This is something I do for me. When I start doing this for others it becomes work and I no longer enjoy it"
    I really like your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeeGirl
    Sounds like some folks I know!

Just go on and tell them you will be glad to do their quilts WHEN you have the time. Also, tell them that THEY have to go with you to purchase the material, the thread, and that there is no way you could possibly do the quilting yourself. Find 3 quotes for long-armers. Go with the highest as she/he will be the best. Don't forget to add the $15 per hour of your time and that your machine will need to be serviced and cleaned before and after doing their quilt. By now you will be into the many hundreds of dollars. Chances are, you won't be forced to do the quilt! This has actually worked for me...I only do quilts I want to do, when I want to do them.
    I like this!
    Me, too! In fact, there HAD been a lady where I work who saw a quilt top I had made for myself and she wanted one like it, and said, "But I want to see it before I take it." I told her she should go and buy the fabric, etc., and then I would make it...You guessed it...I never heard about it again.

Right on, Bakermon....I like your response to someone that asks you to make a quilt for them...I would never try to do this. There are many others who do make quilts for customers, just refer your friend to them...Something like sewing for someone else could be the end of a nice friedship.

e4
    I keep coming back to the idea that someone has both paid you a complement and requested your services. Be gracious and say something like "I am really happy you liked what I made. I had such fun doing it. I am sorry about making one for you, but I don't make quilts for sale." That accepts the complement nicely and politely lets the person know that you consider her request a job or commission that you are not willing to accept. It also puts the person on notice that you don't make freebies for your friends either.

Monkeegirl has the best idea...folks who don't sew or quilt have NO idea how much work actually goes into it. I quilt for myself. I have done thing for a couple of friends (baby quilts) and of course gifts for family but those were fun and I wanted to do them.

If you don't want to do it then DON'T! Say no or tell her to pick out pattern, fabric, backing, thread, batting & a long arm quilter. Plus to be prepared to wait up to 18 months for the top and to pay you for your time. I'll bet you won't hear from her. ;)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast