Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh Crap! I'm an idiot - I hope I didn't just kill my machine >

Oh Crap! I'm an idiot - I hope I didn't just kill my machine

Oh Crap! I'm an idiot - I hope I didn't just kill my machine

Old 01-22-2012, 07:50 AM

I like the idea of all machines having a pop out plate. I have one machine that does and one that doesn't. The machine that doesn't have it is the one I use most and I can't understand why with all the bells and whistles it has, I still have to unscrew the plate.

So glad you got that screw out of your machine. Things like that can be so troubling. Have a great stitching day!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:38 AM

I am super careful when I work on my Bernina...I would suggest using a white cloth for visibily of the small screws & a magnet on it..........if I have to let it set before finishing I know everthing will be there to finish the job.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:31 AM

Very carefully flip it upside down and try to get it out. DO NOT let it roll into the major part where all the computer stuff is. Had to do that at a retreat once. We got it out. With lots of luck and patience.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:51 AM

I bought a new Brother for quilting last August and I did the very same thing about 4 weeks ago. I search around inside with an unused makeup brush but could not see or hear it so I have been sewing away and so far nothing bad has happened. Good luck!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 AM

your not an idiot, it is just an unfortunate accident and the outcome turned out wellll....just go back to sewing and enjoy!!!
Originally Posted by anne0866 View Post
Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions!!! I went to bed last night and actually dreamt about it all night. I was going to use a magnet but hubby insisted that would be a bad idea because of the electronics.
also he figured it would be cheaper to have the repair man get the screw out then to replace electronics. I got brave and we took the bottom off and got the screw out. Thankfully it had just dropped all the way down and hadn't gotten hung up on anything.

Needless to say I have learned a valuable lesson. When removing the stitch plate don't put the loose screws on the bed of te machine! I guess I really do gave a screw loose! lol!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 AM

I am happy that you were able to get it out. I think the two most valuable pieces of advise were:
1) put a sheet in the middle of the bed, while carefully turning it upside down so the screw doesn't go farther into the machine. As mentioned the sheet will show the tiny screw.
2) DO NOT USE A MAGNET. Anything that you even think could be computerized could be messed up with a magnet.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 AM

Red face Don't worry.

Don't worry about it! I've had one in my Janome 6500 for several years. Only problem, a new one cost me $4!! I could probably hold the machine upside down and shake it, but that is too much trouble.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:23 AM

Can you buy a long handled magnetic screw driver and poke around with that. I have seen my DH do this many times when he has lost a screw.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 AM

I've done the same thing months and months ago. I carefully turned it onto it's side , unscrewed all the screws and the bottom plate came off. There it was!! No issues with the machine at all since then. I believe I found loose instructions over on the Janome site on your forum board. It really was simple--but I freaked out as well.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn View Post

The paint chipping unfortunately is one of the downsides of Janomes. My 6500 has them and on other boards it has been commented on. So I would not put all the blame on your acrylic table.
i never heard that. mine is over 20 years old and never chipped.