Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh!  My machine does this! >

Oh! My machine does this!

Oh! My machine does this!

Old 11-19-2013, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by tapper View Post
Yeah, I'm another one working on FMQ...or rather PLANNING to work on FMQ!!
I have sandwiches made....20 (7 or 8") squares, sitting on my little table....fabric/batting/backing, with a few pins to keep the layers stable. They have been siitting there for over a week and I still haven't gotten up enough nerve to start.
Isn't that crazy!!
HAHAHAHA only a week? I had to put my pile of 14" muslin sandwiches out in the hall because ran out of room in the quilting lab. Forgot all about 'em! Monthls later, finished another quilt, now having to dread FMQ again. What is it about PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE I don't understand???

Meanwhile took up hand embroidery and am practicing quilt labels with it, and did my first machine raw-edge applique.

Something about FMQ...too many variables in the materials and equipment? Too hard to correct mistakes with seam ripper? Too hard to live with mistakes I can't rip out? I can't relax enough, maybe? The machine, finally set up, is going smoothly and suddenly... what is that mysterious little tug? Oops my curve is now flat. Did I twitch? BAH!!! I even hate practicing it.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:02 AM

Oops sorry didn't mean to turn this into a diatribe on FMQ. Boy I must have been brooding about it in the back of my mind ...
Old 11-19-2013, 05:09 AM

Love your machine...and you are doing great with the FMQing! Just keep it up and soon you'll be an expert.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:42 AM

Wow! I haven't tried FMQ, one of these days. I'm still trying to do SID. LOL
Old 11-19-2013, 06:15 AM

I have a Janome MC9700 and have FMQ'd 2 wall hangings and 2 lap quilts. I don't lower the feed dogs because I can't seem to move the quilt sandwich as much as I want. It seems to do great (for what I know about FMQ). I am going to post my pictures in the picture section hopefully today. I have never FMQ before. Mind you it is not a great job and I mostly meander or just use a vine, etc. But that is ok since I am just getting started!! Hope to do other patterns as I learn!! As my sweet 95 year old neighbor says, "You will never notice it on a galloping horse"! The one suggestion I have, as a beginner, is to be sure your have basted your quilt good and work from the middle out....I do have a few boo-boos but then I think about my saying!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:07 AM

[QUOTE=katesnanna;6412880]For the ladies who are having trouble with binding. This has very helpful photos.

wendysknitch.wordpress.com/.../tutorial-quilt-binding-with-mitered-corners

I hope this will help you. Happy binding.

I know how to do it; my fingers just don't cooperate. I've started glue basting the binding and it is easier for me.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I've actually traded down during this weekend. I decided that my old Husqvarna Automatic (which has been passed down from my mother) from 1961 is perfect for FMQ. I'm doing most of the Leah Day tutorials on youtube and it quickly improves my skill.
Your "practice" is beautiful. If I could do that, I would be so happy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447544[/ATTACH]
Old 11-19-2013, 07:43 PM

I have tried free motion quilting. It will take more practice, or playing with it to get good at it. I have out lined a quilted place mat of a deer. Have not tried anything else, yet. Got a book on it though. Maybe just draw lines and follow them for practice, make it fun. Maybe change the color of thread and make a picture?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:51 AM

I am about to freemotion my third quilt I have ever made, and it's a really ambitious project. I have the plan all sketched...including feathers on the border, and 4 other designs within the quilt. I am so excited to do it!! I have Craftsy classes to thank for the motvation-they have the best classes! I did my last quilt with bubbles and another design on the border and was happy(for a first timer). Since I am new at quilting, I have found that the quilting is much more creative than the piecing. I get bored with the repetitiveness. I encourage you all to try it!!! Drawing on practice paper is definitely the key!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:00 AM

Another FMQ here. I used the Golden Threads tissue paper, traced my pumpkin design - over and over and over! - Then taped it onto my border & quilted it. I was pleased with how it turned out. Need to keep practicing!

When I took a class from Sue Nickels, I learned to sloooow down. Hands & machine need to be at the same speed. It is okay to go slow!