Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh please give me suggestions... >

Oh please give me suggestions...

Oh please give me suggestions...

Old 06-11-2011, 09:54 AM

This is beautiful! I agree that I don't think the fabric has changed color. It looks so good in these colors that I think they were selected in muted colors. I am too new to quilting to offer suggestions, but this is certainly the right place to find ideas.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

Wow, great start. I guess I'm odd man out. I think I would go with navy. I think that a dark color would make everything pop.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

If the fabric smells "okay" - not musty or moldy - I would leave well enough alone as far as the colors are concerned.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

I doubt that I could piece in the fabric and get it to lay flat. I think that I would buy background fabric as large as the star. Then I would lay the star on the full piece of fabric and gently press outward from the center and pin down the star. Then I would top stitch out from the center in all eight direction up to the inside diamond shapes. I would then see if the diamond points were still laying flat, if they were I would applique bias tape in blue or white over the raw star diamond point edges. If it still looked good, I would make my quilt sandwich and quilt the heck out of it. Good Luck!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:02 PM

Although you're going to have to deal with pesky Y-seams to set in the setting triangles, it's going to be beautiful. Please be sure to share a picture when you finish!

What a great gift this will be.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:30 PM

Great looking star.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
I doubt that I could piece in the fabric and get it to lay flat. I think that I would buy background fabric as large as the star. Then I would lay the star on the full piece of fabric and gently press outward from the center and pin down the star. Then I would top stitch out from the center in all eight direction up to the inside diamond shapes. I would then see if the diamond points were still laying flat, if they were I would applique bias tape in blue or white over the raw star diamond point edges. If it still looked good, I would make my quilt sandwich and quilt the heck out of it. Good Luck!
I was thinking along this same line.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:14 PM

I would possible applique or piece some designs in the corner sections for added interest. The colors of the Lone Star itself is not anything to worry about (IMHO).
Old 06-12-2011, 07:00 AM

Since the fabrics are mostly solids,except for the stripe & checks, maybe you could find a blender, or tone on tone, like some of the freckled fabrics out now? That might help bridge the colors from then & the ones available now. I do agree you should stick to the polyester cotton blends of about the same weight if you can find the right ones. Good luck & best wishes.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:08 AM

Be careful with the pressing. It may stretch. I would also just get a large piece of fabric and lay the star on it.
Good luck and please post a pic when you are done.