Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh please give me suggestions... >

Oh please give me suggestions...

Oh please give me suggestions...

Old 06-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Wow, great start. I guess I'm odd man out. I think I would go with navy. I think that a dark color would make everything pop.
NOPE...I was going to suggest a nice navy or royal blue background!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I'm thinking the colors were intentionally chosen as muted rather than crisp white.
I think I would try to find a light beige/tan/cream tonal or blender fabric for the background in keeping with the character of the original fabrics.

I think mom of 6 has a great idea!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:24 AM

I had an old pieced top that my mil had in the attic that had dried blood on it as well as significant yellowing. The person I had do the quilting soaked the whole thing in BIZ in the bath tub for several days and it came out looking brand spanking new. She warned me before she soaked it that if anything was going to happen to the integrity of the piece she would rather have it happen before it was quilted rather than after. I agreed and it turned out beautifully. I will say that the tops had been finished prior to soaking which is not the case with your piece. I think that I would finish it enough to square it out and then soak and sash it out and quilt after. That should keep it from stretching any on those bias edges when wet. Ann in TN
Old 06-12-2011, 07:41 AM

The fabric reminds me of "broadcloth" that was popular many years ago. It should hold up well. It was usually cotton/poly blend and didn't shrink too much. The idea of the picture is wonderful. Maybe they can find pictures to put in each square. Then bind with dark blue. That will make it really pop. Show us when you get it done!!!
Sue
Old 06-12-2011, 07:51 AM
elm

I'm so new at quilting that I don't know if this is workable. A dark blue thin border around the star would make the light colors appear lighter. Notice the darker blue already in the star and what it does to the off white next to it.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:34 AM

Good Morning,

I took the liberty of taking a pic of your quilt pic, and layed it upon three colors chocolate with black splotches, plain beige and blue with black splotches -in my opinion the chocolate brown really does show it off the best, and you aren't forcused on the beige color - lets see what you think.

Good Luck with your task at hand. See my turquoise, green and pink Lone star on this board, - I set in/pieced the corners and triangles - worked out for me. The pink qult was made by the Amish folks, which my Aunt purchased, and then I copied to make the turquiose and green quilt just using this picture - no pattern.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210376[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-210370.jpe  
Old 06-12-2011, 09:18 AM

my first thought was to back it with a deep chocolate brown. then a thin off=white border finished with a blue wide border. looks like d.rickman and i are on the same page!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:33 AM

Not sure what to do but we can sure all appreciate this lovely hand pieced quilt. I do like the idea of sticking to the integrity of the quilt.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Wow, great start. I guess I'm odd man out. I think I would go with navy. I think that a dark color would make everything pop.
NOPE...I was going to suggest a nice navy or royal blue background!
Me too! The darker backround will show off the light colors in the star.....
Old 06-12-2011, 11:34 AM

I have one of those that was passed on to me , from my mother, I was told by a quilter to measure and sew the triangles in between the star poings. I have not done it yet. If you get it done, let me know how you did it.