Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh please give me suggestions... >

Oh please give me suggestions...

Oh please give me suggestions...

Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Bagwell
I have one of those that was passed on to me , from my mother, I was told by a quilter to measure and sew the triangles in between the star poings. I have not done it yet. If you get it done, let me know how you did it.
I also have one, pieced by my grandmother, but don't know how to sew the "in betweens" !
Old 06-12-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Bagwell
I have one of those that was passed on to me , from my mother, I was told by a quilter to measure and sew the triangles in between the star poings. I have not done it yet. If you get it done, let me know how you did it.
I think it would be a lot easier to applique' the whole star
unto fabric. and I would not use poly/cotton, even if the star
is pieced with it. good 100% cotton will be easier to work with.
you could sew some disolvable product on the right side edges,turn in 1/4 -1/2 ", and applique.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:33 PM

please finish it first then gently soak in oxiclean - keep us posted!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:47 PM

I agree with the folks who would applique the star to a background fabric. I would also sew the interior of the star to the background fabric. I don't think it matters what the fiber content is as long as it is good quality. If you get cotton, I would prewash it.

Not seeing the star up closes, I would go for something like a moda marbles -- something with a variation of color.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:54 PM

I would almost bet that the beige is an unbleached muslin. I agree with using an off-white or cream muslin for the background, and lots of luck with it. You might try Oxyclean to soak it to brighten the colors
Old 06-12-2011, 05:07 PM

WhenI completed the turquoise, green and pink lonestar, I attached the corners, and triangles. Laid down the wrong side of my top, then with masking tape 1" wide laid down a stip to follow the outline of the lone star triangles points, corners, but before I did that I pressed the lonestar wrong side up and on top of the fabric which I was going to add as part of the top also wrong side up, and the iron left a noticeable indent mark I could see with the naked eye, then placed on the painters tape. I then removed the lone star, cut out the pieces I needed and patched it all together pinning and basting until I got it lay nicely. I added the bat underneath the star, but ontop of the flannel backing just to get it straight. Measured from side to side of the star and top to bottom, to be certain it was centered on the flannel backing. It was a challenge, and wasn't difficult.

It definitely would be easier to lay it on a full piece of fabric then baste it down or applique it down.
Best of Luck with your beautiful lonestar quilt project. Please post when you are finished.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 PM

I would try and spray starch it to avoid any stretching before stitching in the setting triangles. That would also flatten it.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 PM

Well, I am out here in left field all alone, LOL, but I would use a floral print for the setting fabric. I think a dark navy with small light blue flowers or a darkish brown with blue flowers.. a calico look to it.. so that the flowers are small and have a fairly overall print.. I do think I would prefer the brown with blue flowers myself. That lovely but rather plain Lone Star just told me that it wanted some action and life around it. LOL That is just MHO.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:01 PM

Good luck in your endeavor
Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 AM

This is so loveingly put together that I am so glad you will make her drream come true. I think the blended shades really works for this. I think in answer to your question I would add (you can measure and cut these. $ huge squares for the corners, then make 2 squares and cut them on a diagonly to form 4 diagonal haves. These are for the sides. To get the measurement of these blocks carefully measure from the tip on one side towards the cent to where the next point is joined. The materials will stretch easy. This will be like about 24 inches on my Star. This is the size for the 4 corners Ex; 26 inches= cut thes 26 1/2. Then for the other pieces add about an inch extra ,make the 2 sqs and cut these for the side pieces. I like to pin mine before sewing and ease if you have too. Best of luck to you.