Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok I need all of your organization ideas please. >

Ok I need all of your organization ideas please.

Ok I need all of your organization ideas please.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:29 PM

What a great question and I appreciate everyone's ideas.

I think someone mentioned it, but I use some scapbooking plastic boxes from Micheals to keep my current project in. As I finish each block it goes in the box with patterns, cut fabric etc.

I don't have a design wall yet, but a friend of mine has a big wall of shelves she keeps fabric and books in and then has a piece of flannel on a roll at the top that she unrolls when she uses it. An yes she does roll projects up in it too.

I think I will get my graph paper out and try to come up with a plan for my new room, if I could ever get the finished.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:34 AM

I bought a big, wooden shoe holder with 25 spaces for shoes.

It will hold a massive amount of folded material and supplies,
right where I can see it. Things don't get lost as easily now that they are in plain sight.

This is very heavy and sits on top of a book case right by
my sewing machine.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:48 AM

My hubby built me DIY floor to ceiling shelves on two sides of a small room and I use see through boxes..works great. Little bottles hold all the buttons, pins etc...that could very easily get lost. He also built a table 20"x42"...but with the two fold down sides, the table becomes 42"x72" when opened. Not much room left for moving around but it works for me when I need a large cutting area. I can also open only one side for a working area of 42"x46"
When not in use (which is not very often) my machine fits into one large open shelf along the wall of shelves.....everything is compact since as I mentioned, it is a small room....which also houses the computer desk and the TV. WORKS FOR ME......still waiting to figure out the picture process or I would send out a picture of the shelving.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:58 AM

Another idea for fabric storage is a 6 shelve sweater holder. They are usually canvas and hang in a closet on the pole. They take about a 1'x1' space and really hold quite a large amount of stash. You can also purchase drawers for them if you like.
I also bought a shoe storage bag similiar to the above and it is wonderful for fat 1/4's....takes up very little space....these all fit in a closet so they are out of view and are dust and sun free..........
Old 05-23-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
a professional quilter friend of mine suggests you keep your fabric covered so the light will not bleach out that exposed edge. Who, I asked her, keeps fabric THAT long? lol She did have a point tho... just another piece over the front of the cabinet will do the trick.
Does her advice cover fabrics that are not in direct sunlight? For example, mine are in a bookcase that is not facing my windows and that never gets any sunshine on them. Are they still at risk this way? Thanks.

Karla
Old 05-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Does her advice cover fabrics that are not in direct sunlight? For example, mine are in a bookcase that is not facing my windows and that never gets any sunshine on them. Are they still at risk this way? Thanks.
Karla
Any kind of light can have a fading effect on fabric, including indirect sunlight. Some dyes are more stable than others; I think some purples are among the least stable. Even flourescent lighting fades fabric. While your setup is better than direct exposure, if you really want to protect your fabrics from edge fading you need to cover the bookcase in some way.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:31 PM

Hi Prism99,

Thanks SO much your input. Since purple is my favorite color... This thread has really given me pause to think, as I also have a two door glass paned cupboard under my sewing table full of fabric that gets more sunlight than my bookcase. I will move them to another location and make a curtain or something for the bookcase. I'm guessing if I use fabric as a curtain, then it needs to be something that would not allow light to filter through it?

Karla