Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok please post your opinions! Change in plans? >

Ok please post your opinions! Change in plans?

Ok please post your opinions! Change in plans?

Old 09-19-2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by rmb282 View Post
Hey Ladies (and Gents) in my previous post I was so excited that DH was taking me sewing machine shopping tonight. Well I called the dealer to make sure that they had the Janome 6600P and 7700 in stock. Of course they sold the last floor model yesterday but have a 6600P at their other location. They also sell Baby Lock. He explained on the phone that they sell 4X more Baby Lock Melodies to quilters than Janome. He told me all about some of the advantages but I'm sure that maybe there are some disadvantages. Either way I believe we will go test drive the baby lock, I'm just disappointed that I won't be able to test drive the Janome too. So I guess I'm just asking what all you quilters think between a Janome 6600P or Baby Lock Melody? Thanks for your opinions, I really value your help.
This dealer is giving you a sales pitch extrordinaire! Melody is not a machine an experienced quilter would buy and cant even be compared with each other. The Babylock machine the quilters love is the Crescendo. Melody does not have a large throat space. I love my BabyLock - they make excellent machines, but wouldnt even consider a Melody. I also love my 6600 for quilting. Has never given me a problem. I would love the Crescendo but cant justify it because my 6600 with the accufeed feet never betrays me. I also have a Babylock Ellageo. The store where I shop carries both brands. Dont let the dealer talk you into a Melody. He probably has excess inventiry.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

When salespeople start talking up one brand over another all I can think of is they want to get rid of a machine that might not be selling as well as they would like. They steer you where they want to go. Like sale coupons, they are used to move merchandise that isn't selling.
Stick to your plan and take some extra time and don't rush into a purchase. Let them get the other machine so you can try them both out and get the pros and cons for both.

Not all shops are manipulative this way but some are so do your research and have your ?s answered before you decide. Have a good time shopping.
peace
Old 09-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Reb

Some salesmen make more money on different brands so they push them. Not sure if that is true with sewing machines but I'd be leery. Buy from a good dealer you want to go back to. Sounds like they are going to take care of you for shopping. Try to find out if that service continues after the purchase.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:27 PM

All sewers like different machines, I grew up using, the New Home I understand that Janome is the same machine. I never had problems with the older machines and thought a few years back that I had to have the 6600.I was so proud of my new machine. The trouble I had,,,,,I sew fast. The thread kept flying off the take up lever. It was so frustrating, my dealer kept telling me to slow down.....but how do you menander os stipple or piece slowly .I only kept the machine about 6 months. I really like the newer babylock the throat space is larger.you can sew fast and I have never had the thread fly off the take up leaver. I also sew on a Juki 2000 a real work horse but straight stitch only. I also have a babylock Ellismo Gold great machine sews well but I use it for embroidery most of the time I like to have the second machine to sew on while embroidering. I suggest trying out several machines, see what feels right for you..Happy shopping
Old 09-19-2013, 05:38 PM

The thread flying off the take up lever is a known problem with a simple fix. Thread it the opposite direction! Took care of the irritating problem for me!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 PM

People say that all the time. What does thread it the other way mean.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome View Post
Instead of threading it through from right to left, thread it from left to right. It forms a loop. I read about this fix before I ever got my 6600 so I've always threaded it that way.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome View Post
At the take up lever, thread it the opposite direction than the arrow shows. Thread it left to right.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:55 AM

Check out Pfaff machines - the IDT is less cumbersome to use than the Janome Accufeed. I just sold my Janome 6600 and now have a Pfaff Performance 5.0. No screwdriver needed to use the IDT for even feeding of fabric. Just snap lever into whatever foot you are using. LOVE it!

AND the thread never comes out of the take up lever - there is a clip on the lever to hold it in place. It was an annoying feature of the 6600.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by sarge1 View Post
Sounds like he's trying to sell you what he has in stock. Maybe it IS the better machine of the 2, but you will only know for sure until you try both. And even if he does sell more of the Babylocks to quilters, that doesn't mean it's the right machine for YOU. Don't let someone talk you into anything. Just my 2 cents worth.
I agree with this. Good luck!