Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: OK to use this fabric?

OK to use this fabric?

Hello all,
    (This is my first posting, but I've been reading for a long time.) I inherited a piece of off-white 100% cotton fabric. It is about 20 yards long and 54" wide. The selvage says Guaranteed ROC-LON Rain No Stain, and a label with the fabric says ROC-LON RNS 100% Cotton. I compared the weave to some Moda fabric and the number of threads per inch looks about the same. Would this be OK to use in quilt blocks and/or as backing? It seems to be very nice fabric.
    Thanks very much.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-10-2018 at 06:48 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

I've used that brand for drapery lining fabric but no experience in quilting.

http://www.roc-lon.com/products/uncoated_linings.html#

Sounds like a quality neutral to keep in inventory. Great for one-piece quilt backing oversized charity lap quilts and plenty for piecing when neutral is needed. I would definitely use it in charity quilts. Sometimes I make fabric bags to place complete quilts in them for storage or it makes a nice presentation when gifting a quilt. Lots of uses..

Welcome to the board, from S. California.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Welcome to the board! Absolutely, I think you can use it for a backing.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Odd cuts for labels.

I would wash a piece just to see how much it shrinks. If you like the feel then use it all you want.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Blog Entries
    I think Roc Lon made a lot of different quality muslins. I would cut off a square, measure it, then wash it and measure it again. Years ago I had some Roc Lon that wrinkled terribly when it was washed, but I know not all of it does.

Blog Entries
    inherited 20 yards? yipee! So do a test wash and iron.....like it? Use it everywhere!

Sounds like drapery lining. I say that because of the reference to 'rain no stain'. However, it was made in several weights or qualities. Roc-Lon is also the producer for premium quality muslin. I use it a lot for the backing or lining of all kinds of projects. But, as to the fabric you have, I would cut off a piece, maybe even a yard. Measure it very carefully and wash it, dry it, iron it and remeasure it. You can then act accordingly. If it shrinks a lot but the rest of the characteristics are OK, just wash it all-maybe cut in increments so it is easier to handle.

Sounds like a good quality muslin (cotton). I have used in piecing and also in backs. Lucky you!

I've used it for lining curtains but that's it. Not sure about quilting.

Also, after ironing, then needle it to see how easy.

This is drapery lining. I would try the things already suggested and see how it reacts. It may be the perfect backing for your next quilt.

it's drapery lining, Roc-Lon is usually quite good stuff but since quality everywhere seems to be dropping on everything I would still test it. My mother swears by one of their muslins for her backings, she prefers a plain white backing on her quilts.

Welcome to this board.

Ask a question and you will get many answers.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

The "Rain No Stain" part of the label sounds like it might have a Scotchguard-like coating on it. Maybe it was intended for drapery lining or under upholstery fabric to protect the cushions?
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Thank you everyone for the comments, suggestions, and also the kind welcome. As suggested, I washed and dried a 1-yard cut (hot water, hot dryer) to check shrinking and wrinkling. It shrunk about 1/2 inch over the 36", which I thought was OK, and the wrinkling was not bad at all. The only concern I have now is that the fabric, now that it has been washed, seems a bit lighter weight than my typical quilting fabrics. So, I think I won't use it for piecing, but for backing. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

I got some of the same fabric at an estate sale, although not as wide, it had the same "label" and I've used it for blocks and not had any problems.