Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OK walk away moment

Blog Entries

OK walk away moment

Everytime you think something is sooooo easy it should go well, well it doesn't.... This quilt i am making for my dd is rated beginner, English tiles, 6.5 blocks set on point with a 4 inch border down either side....sounds easy.......NOT!!!

I have cut the sashings that go around the tile, 1/2 inch too short, but only did it on half of them....ok, this I can recut, had enough material,no problem. It all sews together the next evening, ready to start putting the setting triangles in and well, my brain does not compute like it used to. But, again, I will continue. Had to pin each in their proper placement so it made it easier. Ready to move on.....joining the sections together...well my seam ripper and I are oh sew close today.....

Top thread broke twice, rethreaded and found the hangup, fixed check and move on.....didn't check bobbin, ran out after a precarious stitch through several intersections making sure all lined up nicely....

It is a walk away moment......time to sit in the sun on the deck, smoke one and have a diet dr pepper. Maybe this evening, I hope....

Thanks for letting me rant................
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Diet Dr. Pepper in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

Blog Entries
    so sorry that the project turned out to be frustrating. walking away is usually the best answer best wishes for a smoother finish
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Feel similarly about trimming the 300+ 2.5 in. HST's that I'm working on. Only a little over 200 to go! But I DO absolutely love my rotating cutting mat!

Blog Entries
    Know how you feel. Sometimes it takes me a few days to even think about getting back to a project that has given me trouble. I'll look at it and shake my head and know I'm not ready. Give yourself a break.

I am SO with you on the Diet Dr. Pepper, my only addiction. (Although I have switched to Diet Dr. Thunder at Walmart - same thing and so much cheaper!)

Power Poster
    Some days are like that.
    Hope it goes better on your next attempt.

Seems like we all run into one of those projects from time to time. It'll be worth it when you're done though!

Quote Originally Posted by pacquilter View Post
    Seems like we all run into one of those projects from time to time. It'll be worth it when you're done though!
    Oh I so agree!!!!!

Darn, I thought that was the way all projects should go I do feel your frustration, but you handled it like a true quilter.

You handled it the same way I would...and did! Did you roll your own?....just wondering....

Blog Entries
    I appreciate your words of encouragement, will try after supper.....maybe food and some Sieger on the MP3 will do it!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Diet Dr. Pepper in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

Blog Entries
    Okay the secret is chocolate! We have all had the same kind of day. Lol. Try to do something fun, then eat healthy get some good sleep. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by missgigglewings View Post
    you handled it the same way i would...and did! Did you roll your own?....just wondering....
    hilarious!
    Life has given me so much more than scraps, but I make quilts anyway!
    http://www.wickedcool.etsy.com

I use the errors and flubs as my "sign" that I need to stop for a while, have a diet soda, take a nap, or something like that so I can come back to it later. Usually works then. We just get too tired and don't realize it!

Blog Entries
    I bet you learned something from your so easy project and it will help you in the future with projects .

Yep...I had that kind of a day too. Yesterday I finished all of the piecing, sandwiched everything and started marking my quilt design...doing a grid pattern. I got half of it finished and started the other half when I got home from the lab...had to have bloodwork done before my doctor appointment on Monday. Started marking my lines and things were going smoothly. When I got too my last few lines...all of a sudden they were too close together. So...I got out my fabric eraser and started erasing those lines. That's as bad as ripping out seams. Finally I finished it but I had to walk away from it a few times. Yesterday it took me less than hour to mark the first half. Today I spent most of the afternoon marking and erasing. And this is a large wallhanging. I can't imagine doing a grid pattern on a bed size quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janceejan View Post
    It is a walk away moment......time to sit in the sun on the deck, smoke one and have a diet dr pepper. Maybe this evening, I hope....

Thanks for letting me rant................
    Sometimes that is exactly what it takes! And a cold diet Dr. Pepper can fix anything!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    That was me last night. Made a very nice (I thought) Virginia star block, had to add borders to get it to size at 12 1/2", cut the borders a little wide and long "just to be sure", shaved off the same 1/4" I added, then look at it admiringly--and noticed that four pieces of the star were the wrong fabric. Tried for about an hour to take out just those four pieces with little success, threw it out and decided it would be an Ohio star instead. So that's what it is.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Put that project in Time Out and walk away! THat's what I do and it works wonderfully. Amazingly, most of the time when I take them out of Time Out they're just not as much trouble as they were the first time. Wish it worked as well for kids.
    So many quilts, so little time.

Blog Entries
    Hugs and a smile to you! Don't forget deep relaxing breaths!!

Blog Entries
    I agree with you, there are very few things that can't be helped with a dose of diet Dr. Pepper! ( I have also been using the diet Dr. Thunder due to budget constraints)
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

I do the same thing. LOL Sometimes I figure out problems in my sleep and it wakes me up.

Walking away helps clear the mind. And you may come up with a way to use those pieces your cut too short. Sometimes sleeping on a problem is the best way to solve it. I also think that's how we end up with so many UFOs, but that's another topic!

Blog Entries
    That's great! Can't wait.
    SHIRLEY

I would do the same thing except I would have a glass of wine (or 2)
    Patricia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast