Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oops, some of my batting is showing... >

Oops, some of my batting is showing...

Oops, some of my batting is showing...

Old 12-10-2019, 08:01 AM

Default Oops, some of my batting is showing...

Hi folks,

I posted here a while ago for some advice on making my first ever quilt. I am happy to say I am almost done, thanks in part to some of the tips I got on this forum! I've just started putting on my binding, and I noticed I've made a (hopefully??) small error. It looks like I pinned one side of the quilt/binding incorrectly in one spot, so when I flip it to start sewing it to the back of the quilt I can actually see a small section of the batting! Not sure how I managed this because I thought I was being meticulous, but I'll take it as a lesson learned and be even more precise on a future quilt.

That being said, I'm wondering if I should rip out the stitches on that side specifically and reposition the entire strip of binding, or just rip the stitches in that very small section and kind of pull the binding further down? I think the latter will make the binding a little uneven looking, but it seems least labour intensive.

So once again, thank you in advance for any advice given to this new and seemingly mistake-prone quilter!
Old 12-10-2019, 08:24 AM

First quilts alway have opps! This one sounds fixable. It just depends on how perfect you are trying to be. I personally would take the side of the binding off to a point well above the problem area where I know I am attached correctly and place the binding back in its proper place. No need to take it all off to correct a small area.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:25 AM

I would do the latter. You are just starting on a journey of learning and it will never end. No one will notice it. We are our own worst critics. I know because I am a perfectionist. But when your quilt is in use no one will ever notice it.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

If there is a spot where you can see the batting on the top, chances are that the seam allowance under that side is too narrow. I would expect that the edge of the quilt is going to fray out along that side after washing. I would remove the binding on the side, trim the quilt edge if necesassary to get the 1/4 seam allowance under the binding when you re-sew it on.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Depends on how "good" you want it to be.

There is "half fast" - and then there is "done correctly" - even if it takes a bit more doing to get there.

I have started to baste the three layers of my quilts together before I put the binding on - so then I only need to worry about keeping the binding and quilt sandwich lined up. I also had that "folded under" - "missed" situation - and even though it does take me a loooong time to finish a quilt - I have yet to redo one that I did finish!

Not everyone is as persnickety as I am - you know your "tolerance" of when something is needs correcting or it is "good enough
Old 12-10-2019, 09:27 AM

You can just take out the stitches on that section of binding. I would go past each section by a couple of inches. Reposition and stitch back down.

Is the edge of the quilt trimmed?

Does the backing cover this edge? You can trim down that side if needed. Sometimes a careful trim of 1/8 or 1/4 inch will get you out of a "situation".
Old 12-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

yes, rip some and reposition the best you can. then later go around the whole quilt with a couple of rows of stitching next to the binding. that should stabilize the fabric enough to be sure it will stay put in washings.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:19 PM

Thank you for the input, everyone! I'll attempt to fix it tonight, so fingers crossed I can follow all of your tips and make it look okay still.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

All the above that saying it needs to be fixed. I would think if left as is you will end up very unhappy with your quilt. I always trim my quilts and check both sides to make sure I have a 1/4" or sometimes a 3/8" seam all around.

Fixing errors like that is worth all the time it takes to fix.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:23 PM

if it looks a little wonky after you fix it, can you strategically place your quilt label over that spot to hide the error?