Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Opinion on quilt back color and value

So long as your using a batting it should be fine. I'd wash the orange backing fabric as well, your quilt looks great!!

You have a lot of white in your quilt so remember you HAVE to use a WHITE batting. I made a quilt once used a variety of white on white's and the cream colored warm and natural shadowed through. Be safe with your baking and do not use an intense color because it too may shadow through. I love your quilt and look forward to seeing how you choose to finish it.

What a great looking top! Love the colors and the fabric you selected!
    Sylvia
    Central Maryland

I think I'd go with a light mottled or swirled orange/white. That way you can adjust the intensity of the orange to suit your preference and get one light enough that you won't have to be concerned about it showing thru.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Definitely use a white (Warm n'White or similar white batting). I agree with using an orange, like a moda marble or this example (http://thousandsofbolts.com/index.cf...17&ParentCat=7) from thousands of bolts.

Blog Entries
    your quilt is so much prettier than the pattern. beautiful colors

I sure don't have the answer to your question but I do LOVE the quilt top! So pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    A lot depends on the batting you choose. Some battings will allow backing color to shade through; other battings are totally opaque.

Warm and Natural will probably not allow an orange backing to influence the top at all; however, compared to other battings it is somewhat heavy and stiff in drape (the stiffness does soften with each washing since this batting is primarily cotton).

Hobbs PolyDown would be a good batting for this quilt because it is light in weight and offers a lot of softness and loft. However, it would probably allow a bright orange backing to shadow through to the top.
    I agree. I only used Warm 'n Natural for years, but got tired of how heavy the finished quilt is. But I do sometimes 'see' color thru the batt.

Blog Entries
    Applique for the Terrified Quilter highly recommends using a Universal Needle so you do not have holes. I think this would apply to quilting as well. A universal needle does not puncture threads but goes to one side of them. However this might make a straight line not absolutely straight but then will one thread matter? Just a thought.

I just finished a quilt with all the colors yours has and I chose a print with mostly white and a light spray of all the colors

that way as the quilt ages the orange will not show through.I was told that the back on a quilt to be used should never be darker than the back ground and all my quilts are for use.
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

Blog Entries
    A solid cotton, or 80/20 , batting shouldn't be too translucent. I like to hide my back quilting so i use bobbin thread that matches the pre-washed backing color. If your tension is correct the orange thread will not pull thru to the top and the white will not pull through to the back. It is a scrumptious quilt!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

I think the aqua backing will be beautiful. It looks perfect!

Dina

Love your quilt!!! I too am a novice and can not help with back!

Blog Entries
    That is one Pretty Quilt.

Orange should work, but wash it first for bleeding.

Pin holes will not show.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Your quilt top is beautiful.

Wow, it is a beautiful quilt.

Nice to meet another AZ quilter! I live on the west side (glendale, by the football stadium), but travel to 40th Street and Thunderbird to Quiltz once a month for a quilt group. We would love to have you join us! Very welcoming, non guild. We eat/shop/sew. Some do all three..some just eat and visit! We meet the 1st Friday of the month. PM if you would like more info.

I love your top and the orange backing idea. I just did a new owners class for my Innova and tried Glide thread. This quilt would be SMASHING with an orange back and orange Glide thread. Its thin (so it does not over power) and has some shine to it. I happen to be on a lime green kick...and I got a cone of Glide in lime green and one is a nice orange!
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Love your final choice. Beautiful finish for a special quilt!
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikaMarie View Post
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. You are so generous!

Sounds like warm and white is the way to go with the bat. I'll have to ensure I get that. I will be sending out for quilting and binding. I've done it myself before, but with an oversized king, it's just too much for me to handle with my 'ol singer. And just not my favorite part of the process.

After a day of driving to quilt shops, and bringing home a few fat quarter samples for DH, we settled on a Bella solid aqua for the back and an orange w teeny floral motif for binding (right side of photo). (Rejected happily went to my stash: soft orange floral for back, an orange gingham for binding, and a green polka dot for binding.)

I'll be joining the backing w a vertical strip of my scraps. What do you think?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3