Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinion on quilt back color and value >

Opinion on quilt back color and value

Opinion on quilt back color and value

Old 09-07-2013, 07:19 PM

Welcome from Texas. I use a lot of white in my quilt tops, and I use white Warm and Natural batting. I have never had a problem with the backing showing through. An orange should work really well for the back, a lighter orange if you are really concerned about it. I also use white backings often, and that has never been a problem either. I don't drag my quilts around on the floor like a kid would, so they don't get dirty or anything.

Your quilt top is beautiful, by the way. You have to be proud of it!!!

Dina
Old 09-07-2013, 07:59 PM

Your quilt is awesome. I would use a medium color backing rather than a dark one.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. You are so generous!

Sounds like warm and white is the way to go with the bat. I'll have to ensure I get that. I will be sending out for quilting and binding. I've done it myself before, but with an oversized king, it's just too much for me to handle with my 'ol singer. And just not my favorite part of the process.

After a day of driving to quilt shops, and bringing home a few fat quarter samples for DH, we settled on a Bella solid aqua for the back and an orange w teeny floral motif for binding (right side of photo). (Rejected happily went to my stash: soft orange floral for back, an orange gingham for binding, and a green polka dot for binding.)

I'll be joining the backing w a vertical strip of my scraps. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 08:16 PM

I cannot answer your question, but I wanted to say how beautiful your quilt top is.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:23 PM

My last finish has a dark purple mottled back and a lot of cream blocks on the front. No show through with Hobbs 80/20. I never worry about show through even with a poly batt as long as the white is a decent weave. I used a purple varigated thread on the back and cream and tan on the front on the last one.

Marshall's Dry Goods has some wide backings in mottled colors. Orange?? I don't remember.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:45 PM

Hi Erika,
WOW. What a lovely quilt. The colours are great. From experience if i have white in the top i usually go with a light backing. There are some realy ncie tone on tone creams you could have a look at. It not always that the colour comes through the batting but it takes the whiteness away from the white. If you get what i mean. Try some samples and see. Cheers. Quilter.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:33 PM

Your quilt is beautiful, and I love your final choice of backing and binding are a lovely contrast, I hope your DH appreciates all your hard work.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:18 AM

I like the idea of the orange backing, perhaps mottled or faint pattern to it If you quilted with white the stitches would show up on the back. I like the look of the back of the quilts too! Warm and natural usually blocks the colors from showing through.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

That is a really pretty top! So much COLOR. Love it. Your backing won't show through the batting. Most of my quilts have a lot of white on the top, and I use darker colors or all prints on the backing, with Warm and Natural cotton batting. The batting prevents any colors showing through the whites on my tops.

Once I worried that the natural batting (versus bleached white cotton batting) would dull my whites on the tops, but it doesn't. They look white as ever.

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 09-08-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ErikaMarie View Post
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. You are so generous!

I'll be joining the backing w a vertical strip of my scraps. What do you think?
I do this all the time! It's like a little "surprise" on the back of the quilt...