Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions needed please >

Opinions needed please

Opinions needed please

Old 07-28-2019, 06:47 PM

If you hate binding, ai would think doing scallops would be even worse. This patten is modern and looks great with straight edges. And I agree that folding it would be a lot easier with straight edges.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:48 PM

I kinda like it the way it is.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:55 PM

I like the look of the lines, and the bold fabric. It's great as is. I always think of scallops as softening a quilt, which this does not need!
Old 07-28-2019, 06:58 PM

I like it the way it is too. If u hate to do binding probably shouldn’t do scallops
Old 07-29-2019, 04:05 AM

Does it help to say another vote for no scallops on the quilt? It looks great with the straight border so just follow that for binding.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:11 AM

I like without scallops too.But if you want a fancy border how about the triangles made from folded squares? Sorry I cannot remember what they are called but someone here would know.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:12 AM

I agree with Iceblossom. Not sure scalloped edge would look good on this quilt with this particular pattern.
BTW, binding is my favorite part. That means its finished.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

You have the ruler which is the only way I can do a scalloped border. What a good ruler to have! I didn't have any problems at all putting the bias binding on.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have done a scalloped border with bias binding. The hardest part for me was marking the scallops without the ruler. If you have the ruler, that’s half the battle. With that being said, some people advise sewing the bias binding on before cutting the edge. Since I figured my own scallops I wanted to make sure that my scallops matched when the quilt was folded so I cut the bottom and one side and used that for the template for the other side and the top. There are several good tutorials on YouTube to watch before you do your scallops.
I have watched many video tutorials on YouTube and it was actually because of the Gourmet Quilter that I originally wanted to make this pattern. She sews the entire thing on by machine. I never even thought about how it would be folded? Thanks for your response Tartan.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:38 AM

Iceblossom thank you I never thought about just rounding the corners. I guess I shouldn’t have said I hate bindings because like everyone else I know that means it’s finished, it just takes so long to do it especially in the heat! But since it’s just a baby quilt I thought I would try something new. For all of you who don’t think that a scalloped edge would become this quilt, I just want to say that this is a pattern that was made by both Eleanor Burns and the Gourmet Quilter. Gourmet Quilter used the 4 1/2” on point template to make the kite block as Eleanor calls hers. Mine obviously is not in the same fabric but the design. I too think it looks modern so very happy to hear some of you think the same. I also just saw a video where they glued the scalloped binding until it was sewn which might help, I do have another baby quilt made for a girl since we don’t know what the gender is perhaps I will do the scallops on that one? It is a tumbler design?