Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions Wanted-swap gifts >

Opinions Wanted-swap gifts

Opinions Wanted-swap gifts

Old 06-20-2012, 06:41 PM

Well.. I like fingernail trimmers.. I used to be a nail biter and the only way I keep from doing it now is to ALWAYS have a fingernail trimmer within reach at all times. And a file. I freaking love journals or cute notepads but I never use them. I just like looking at them and having them. they're kinda a thing I hoard. haha. I think I would like homemade bags of pretty much any type. Your idea the other day (and an idea I had too) with bookmarks I would like cause we read a LOT of books around here. Since I have a kindle and my mom has a kindle, I've been wanting to make a kindle case for someone and I have a few patterns for those. hmm.. Potholders or oven mitts because they seem to disappear in the kitchen when you desperately need them. We love crossword puzzles or other types of puzzles around here. So books of those are fun. I like lotions and candles and things that smell pretty but I know people are sensitive to scents or allergies so I'm always hesitant to buy those for others. I think I'm totally going to start collecting handmade pin-cushions I'm also a pen addict. I love a nice smooth writing pen, like gel or whatever. If it writes beautiful, I want it!

I think the point (and the reason for the under $10) is to keep it fun. So I don't worry too much about if they like it or not. If they don't, they can re-gift it. However, it's against my nature to NOT worry so I of course still worry. I just have to tell myself to get over it hehe. I just like to get stuff
Old 06-20-2012, 07:06 PM

I love the swaps on this board, especially the Secret Pal swap. I am making aprons for swap gifts. No need for a pattern, just gather some fabric. add a waistband with ties and hem. Teacup pin cushions are adorable. Buy teacup and saucer at thrift store. Hot glue cup to saucer. cut a 5-6" circle with a basting stitch around the edge. Pull the threads for loosly form a ball and stuff with fiber fill. Tighten threads and tie off. hot glue ball into the cup. So cute. Here is something I made for a swap gift with scraps of fabric and batting. No need for a pattern. Just make it up as you go. Hand made gifts are so special to me.[ATTACH=CONFIG]343543[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0794.jpg  
Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
I love the swaps on this board, especially the Secret Pal swap. I am making aprons for swap gifts. No need for a pattern, just gather some fabric. add a waistband with ties and hem. Teacup pin cushions are adorable. Buy teacup and saucer at thrift store. Hot glue cup to saucer. cut a 5-6" circle with a basting stitch around the edge. Pull the threads for loosly form a ball and stuff with fiber fill. Tighten threads and tie off. hot glue ball into the cup. So cute. Here is something I made for a swap gift with scraps of fabric and batting. No need for a pattern. Just make it up as you go. Hand made gifts are so special to me.[ATTACH=CONFIG]343543[/ATTACH]

love the cozy you made and that machine what a beauty. thanks for the idea, will put it on my list also.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:24 PM

Ana, thanks hun for the suggestions, i know if i get you for the swap then i dont have to worry because you list is made. LOL it takes one to know one.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:27 PM

Havplenty, thanks for all of the suggestions. Most of yours have made the list and now to get shopping and start sewing. oh and btw next time i see your name in the same swap as me im putting in a request for you name. Trust me youll get a stiletto whether or not you wnat one.LOL everyone does.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 PM

yes fayzer i forgot about the machine organizers. i need one for my old lady jo-jo. i have her sitting on some shelf liner right now. i love your little old lady. one like yours is the last one i want to add to my collection of vintage machines.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 AM

I received pin cushion i love! Also lil holder for all those cards you get from stores, punch cards for milk,fabric, restaurants ect! Note pads, small measuring tape. I just got a little case with post it notes and the lil post it strips in it! Love it!!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:45 AM

I would love to know how you make or decorate your stilettos...... Thanks
Old 06-21-2012, 04:51 AM

Wow Mdall, what a great question you posed here. So many terrific ideas.

Just wanted to add a few more. Once I received a little fabric bowl in a swap as an extra. Would just cost pennies if you had the supplies and quick to make also. It would hold about a half cup of something if you were to fill it. The person sent individual teas to put in the bowl.

I have also given and received individual foil cover teas or those single coffee things from Starbucks.

I also bought a $1 package of two collapseable flower vases. Yeah! Crazy huh? But, you get two to a package and you add warm water to them until they fill out, then replace with cold water and add flowers. When you are done with them you empty, let dry and it collapses until your next bouquet of flowers arrive
Old 06-21-2012, 06:53 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I'm a swap hostess and I have to say Haveplenty hit the nail in the head for me... BUT in all actuality I love everything so for me you can never go wrong no matter what is sent to me... I do make quilts for charity so currently charm packs are my favorite...

A few things off the top of my head that I always need or use is:

Needles
Thread
Seam ripper
Tiny scissors
Nippers
Post it notes
Fine sharpies
ANYTHING handmade
Charm packs/ fqs / yards of my favorite fabs (1930/CW/Batiks)
Postage stamps

I don't expect anything from my swappers but it's a nice surprise when rec'd ...