Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ordering a bolt of Hobbs 80/20,... need to know >

Ordering a bolt of Hobbs 80/20,... need to know

Ordering a bolt of Hobbs 80/20,... need to know

Old 11-03-2014, 06:13 PM

Great ideas here. I really like the trash can idea...an easy fix.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I fixed up a place on the wall, for my roll of W&W batting. DH brought me home a large dowel and three supports, from the hardware store.The dowel is long enough to also hold a roll of paper towels, at the other end. It's high/low enough that I can just roll my cutting table up to it.
Neesie, what you have there is exactly what I'd do if I still had wall space. It's a nice clean setup and easy to put up. I've got so much stuff crammed in my studio that the ceiling is all that's left. I've got a "full" kitchen in there, a quilting machine and other quilting stuff and all of the stuff I use to service machines and the room does quarduple duty displaying some vintage machines too.

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I recently purchased a 96" wide roll. It did not have a cardboard tube. Shipping weight should be very close to the actual weight, so use that as your guide. <snip>

I also thought about buying a large plastic trash can, cutting a 2" wide slit down one side and using that as a way to store it. That might work for you, and you could cover it when you're not getting batting off of it. You could secure the cover in place with a large bungee cord, which would also make it easy to remove the cover.
Thanks cathyvv! I guess I always assume that the shipping weight is way off for something that big because DH used to tell me stories about "cubing" things that were big to calculate how much of the "truck" it costs to ship. The "cubing" in the roll of batting is 169lbs based on one Canadian shipper, which is why it costs so much to ship from most carriers.

Thanks for the idea of the trash can! If I can find a spot to hide it, I just may do that!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:56 AM

At a recent meeting, our speaker said she takes the bottom of a old office chair with rollers on it, takes the seat off and places pvc or a pipe into the base of the chair rollers and then places her rolls of batting on it then she can roll it around to where she needs it.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:53 AM

My husband built a similar set up in the guest room closet (where I store more fabric). After all who wants company to stay THAT long?! (I have a hanging hook on the outside of the closet and a fold up suitcase stand for company.) He used a closet rod and brackets and hung it horizontal so I can just roll off a piece and cut.

Sorry, the last photo is sideways, but you get the gist.
Attached Thumbnails dscf4292.jpg   dscf4293.jpg  
Old 11-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
Why not contact the Hobbs people and ask them?
I agree. I have done business with them directly for a few decades and they are always very helpful. I hung my 30 yard bolt with a thick dowel with eye holds on the end with light chain to the ceiling. You need a close pin so that the roll won't unroll.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:20 AM

I have a guest room that is not used often so I use the QS bed for my design wall. I store my roll of batting on the pillows & simply move it to the foot of the bed, unroll what I need, cut & return the roll to the pillows. It keeps the batting flat & since the bed is on risers, it is not too hard on my back. Hope this info is helpful.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:46 AM

As a take-off on Lynda's idea above, get a plant caddy from Lowe's or Home Depot with 4 wheels (rollers) designed to transport heavy planters. Mound a dowel in the center and stand up your roll of batting on it so you can roll it around. That might work very well for you. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:34 AM

I think my batting is Hobbs 80/20 or its Quilter's Dream 80/20, similar to W&N batting if that helps. Its 43" in diameter at this writing and I don't think I've cut any if much off it yet. I have mine suspended on the ceiling over my cutting table so I can just roll it out over the table and cut it from there. As my sewing room is in the basement my ceilings are not tall, only 7'4" to the top. I bought some long hooks with an eye installing it into a 2 x 4 and then into the ceiling as I didn't want the long screw to go up thru my floor joists. I purchased a 1.5" thick dowel 64" long, added eye hooks to each end with a removeable clip gadget so I can release it when I needed to remove it. Even with 1.5" dowel the weigh still bowed the dowel a bit.

Here are some photos to show you what I did................
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0001.jpg   dsc_0002.jpg  
Old 11-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I don't know if every Hancock's Fabric has this, but the one near me has the niftiest batting holder. It's a piece of flat wood, I would say about 16" square, with wheels mounted on the bottom. It has a dowel mounted in the middle, which is where the batting goes. It moves around really easily and you can also tuck it away in a corner or closet. It's kind of like a vertical paper towel holder, except on wheels. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? I think it may work well for you.
Good idea....this seems like something a diyourselfer could make pretty easily...
Old 11-04-2014, 11:47 AM

Snooze2978...your set up looks great! You are so organized!