Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ordering a bolt of Hobbs 80/20,... need to know >

Ordering a bolt of Hobbs 80/20,... need to know

Ordering a bolt of Hobbs 80/20,... need to know

Old 11-02-2014, 07:03 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

[QUOTE=LyndaOH;6954027]....Hancock's Fabric has the niftiest batting holder. It's a piece of flat wood, about 16" square, with wheels mounted on the bottom. It has a dowel mounted in the middle, ......kind of like a vertical paper towel holder, except on wheels.... QUOTE]

What a fabulous idea!! I really like this and now plan to make one -- when I'm mobile again -- for a roll of batting left over from the Military Barracks Quilt Project, which I don't use very often. It's currently stored on end in a little cubby behind the front door at the bottom of the steps to the attic....a pain to lug to the cutting table each time.

Jan in VA
Old 11-02-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I don't know if every Hancock's Fabric has this, but the one near me has the niftiest batting holder. It's a piece of flat wood, I would say about 16" square, with wheels mounted on the bottom. It has a dowel mounted in the middle, which is where the batting goes. It moves around really easily and you can also tuck it away in a corner or closet. It's kind of like a vertical paper towel holder, except on wheels. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? I think it may work well for you.
Harbor Freight has some dollies that would be great to make on of these. I will have to check them out next time I am in town.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:38 PM

I wrap my Hobb's 80/20 in a twin size sheet and put it under one side of my quilting frame. When I need it I get hold of one end of the sheet and pull it out and the keeping hold of the sheet roll the batting back under the frame until I have the length I need. cut it off, the roll it back up and under the frame it goes

About the dolly, you can get one a Wal-mart they sell the to go under their metal file cabinets. You can cut a piece of plywood to put on the dolly and maybe screw it to the frame and attach a length of closet dowel the set the roll of batting on.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I don't know if every Hancock's Fabric has this, but the one near me has the niftiest batting holder

DH made big thread stands for the batting rolls for my guild with luggage wheels that turn in every direction. They are so nice.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:12 AM

I don't know if every Hancock's Fabric has this, but the one near me has the niftiest batting holder. It's a piece of flat wood, I would say about 16" square, with wheels mounted on the bottom. It has a dowel mounted in the middle, which is where the batting goes. It moves around really easily and you can also tuck it away in a corner or closet. It's kind of like a vertical paper towel holder, except on wheels. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? I think it may work well for you.
I've seen these online. I also saw where someone added a T Square to it for perfectly straight cuts. I would do this but for one problem I didn't mention in my original post. I have cats. I suspect that having it like this would encourage them to use it as a scratching post, since their favorite post looks the same. I try to keep them out of the room, but periodically one sneaks in, and I thought that hanging the batting might minimize carnage.

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I just stand my roll in a corner. I hoist it up un the cutting table and chop off what i need. Not really that heavy but certainly can be a bit unwieldy, especially when new and full. Have a different brand so can't offer any info on size or weight.
This is what I was thinking - it's the unwieldy part that I'm trying to manage. 25lbs (what momto5 said) spread over 5ft would probably cause my back to go on strike. The other option I suppose is to roll it out onto 2 rolls and then it's lighter. I have a spare, and a client who empties those cardboard rolls like crazy who would love for me to take them off his hands.

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
I just bought a roll of 80/20, 120": it's about 18 inches in diameter and weighs about 25 lbs. or so. I had to call my grandson to take it in the house as it was too heavy for me to lift. If your ceilings are 8 ft., and the batting is 18 inches, it will leave you with "head room " of 6 1/2 feet if you hang it from the ceiling. Weight wise, I'm not sure whether a pulley system would work or not...Hope this helps a bit!
Thanks momto5! This is exactly what I was looking for. The 18" is before or after coming out of the wrap, or does it not expand? I would probably put the dowel height at 11" then so that it's not rubbing against the ceiling tiles. I will measure my ceiling for sure, I don't want to find out it's 7.5'! We used a pulley system for our Kayaks, and I can manage those by myself, so I think the batting should be OK, and at 25lbs, I think it might be an idea, depending on where it ends up.

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
I wrap my Hobb's 80/20 in a twin size sheet and put it under one side of my quilting frame. When I need it I get hold of one end of the sheet and pull it out and the keeping hold of the sheet roll the batting back under the frame until I have the length I need. cut it off, the roll it back up and under the frame it goes
It lays on the floor, wrapped? I hadn't even considered that. With my girls, I don't think I could do that, but what a simple solution!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:34 AM

That sounds TERRIFIC! It also sounds makeable if the price is prohibitive or nonsensical.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:12 PM

I fixed up a place on the wall, for my roll of W&W batting. DH brought me home a large dowel and three supports, from the hardware store.The dowel is long enough to also hold a roll of paper towels, at the other end. It's high/low enough that I can just roll my cutting table up to it.

Attached Thumbnails battingholder1.jpg   battingholder2.jpg   battingholder3.jpg  

Last edited by Neesie; 11-03-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:35 PM

Wow, Neesie, I envy your set up! I just keep mine in the closet. I have to shove my clothes all to one side, but which is more important....clothes or quilting??

Dina
Old 11-03-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Wow, Neesie, I envy your set up! I just keep mine in the closet. I have to shove my clothes all to one side, but which is more important....clothes or quilting??

Dina
Dina, my quilting stuff is in a re-purposed shed. Even though it's insulated, it still gets hot during summer and cold in winter . . . so I dragged my machine into the house. Most of my 'stuff' is in the shed, so I have to run back and forth, when I sew. Good exercise, at least!
Old 11-03-2014, 04:16 PM

I recently purchased a 96" wide roll. It did not have a cardboard tube. Shipping weight should be very close to the actual weight, so use that as your guide.

I thought I wouldn't be able to pick the batting roll up, but I could. My guess is that it was around 20 pounds, but I might be guessing low, and yours will no doubt be heavier. The batting is folded in half before it is rolled, so that means my roll stands about 48" high.

I measured the diameter of the batting roll and went to Lowe's and bought a circular aluminum tray - that is usually used under water heaters - to stand it in. It cost about $ 15, and is only about 3" high; I bought it so that it wouldn't sit directly on the garage floor. Plunked the batting in the aluminum tray, right next to a ceiling support in our garage, leaned the batting on the support. Then I took two long, narrow scraps, tied them together, wrapped it around the post and the batting and tied it snugly. It is right next to the table where I cut fabric, so it's easy to unroll, measure and cut, then secure next to the ceiling support.

I was going to put it in a shower that we don't use. It would have been out of sight, but a bit of a hassle when i needed to measure and cut. I also thought about buying a large plastic trash can, cutting a 2" wide slit down one side and using that as a way to store it. That might work for you, and you could cover it when you're not getting batting off of it. You could secure the cover in place with a large bungee cord, which would also make it easy to remove the cover.

What I did was much easier, though, and the space the batting is in wasn't in use, so it works for both me and my DH.

Last edited by cathyvv; 11-03-2014 at 04:22 PM.