Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ott lights.

Blog Entries
    Yes, well worth it.

Blog Entries
    I've never used them but I need more lighting. I think I'll get me some. Thanks for the info.

Blog Entries
    Yes they are. I have two of them, one floor model and the other sits on top of my sewing table for times when I am sewing on black or very dark material. Easy on the eyes.
    I bought mine when they were 50% off.

I've had some experience with Ott lights - bought a big one half price at Joanne's years ago. (Still spent almost $90!!) It worked for just over a year - then one day, it just quit! I tried replacing the bulb, tried replacing the electrical part on the cord - nothing. I wouldn't buy another one.
    There are lights that do the exact same thing MUCH cheaper elsewhere. I got one at Big Lots for $19.99 or $29.99 a few months ago, and it's great for sewing on black fabric with black thread!! JMHO, but find a cheaper one than OTT.

They are excellent and show true colour when late night sewing.

I love my Ott light floorlamp. And at 14 watts, I don't worry too much it I accidentally leave it on. I think it helps you see the true colors.

I also have Ott lights at all my working stations (machines).

I love 'em. My eyes are very good tho I do wear glasses for mild correction. Even so, I have trouble sewing dark colors.

I bought a floor lamp years ago with the bendable arm, circle bulb and a magnifying glass. I paid 1/4th what they cost today. I use it along side my recliner where I do cross stitch while watching TV.

Blog Entries
    I have three Ott lights for two sewing areas and I can't imagine sewing without them. They are definitely worth the money--if you can find them on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC
    Quote Originally Posted by My time
    I've notice that Joann's sell ott light bulbs. My question is this. Can you use an Ott bulb in place of a regular light bulb? Has anyone every tried this? Are Ott lights worth the price?
    No - they can only be used in ott lights

Yes, they will fit in other lamps that use the same plug end. Check out lamps at your local office supply store. I have purchased an Ott light bulb and used it in a regular desk lamp, not their lamp.

Just a word to note, if you begin to have trouble sleeping at night after sewing with an Ott light. You may be light sensitive and will need to watch how much and how late at nite you sew using the light. Ask me how I know this. lol

Pam M

I pick mine up at a huge discount at Big Lots.

They are worth every penny. Have four!

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    I've notice that Joann's sell ott light bulbs. My question is this. Can you use an Ott bulb in place of a regular light bulb? Has anyone every tried this? Are Ott lights worth the price?
    Love my Ott lights! I believe other companies are making the same kind, not sure. It is amazing when I pick out a thread or floss of a certain color and put it under the ott light (especially at night) and find out the color is not what I thought it was.
    I have one Ott light next to my sewing machine and one portable one for hand embroidery, etc. in the living room. Got both on sale at Joann's.

Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC
    No - they can only be used in ott lights
    Sorry June C. I beg to differ. I have one that screws into my old lamp, it is made by Ott lite.

Yes, as long as they have a regular bulb adapter. We bought ours from JOAnns it screws in like a regular bulb it was about $11. I am using it as I am writing this in is in our regular lamp we have had for over 10 years. It all depends on how it plugs into the your lamp. They now make bulbs to use in regular lamps.

My mom is 88 and still loves to quilt but her eyes are failing badly. I bought her an Ott floor lamp and she couldn't do without it. I've not actually used one but I have sat down in her chair and read with hers and she's right, it's wonderful.

I love my Ott light.

As others have said, the lightbulbs only fit OTT fixtures.

The OTT Lights themselves are worth 10 times what I pay for them in terms of SAVING MY EYES from strain and premature aging, matching colors, etc. I can do 8+ hours per day hand sewing or embroidery with an OTT light and never feel it. Also, they're terrific for reading (studying) and an absolute godsend for small-scale intricate work like beading or petit point embroidery.

I bought a flip-up Task light for my Mom for her 75th birthday a decade ago and she is STILL raving about how huge a difference it makes in her hand-sewing and crafts work. By her recommendation alone, over 20 of her friends in her various craft and social groups have bought OTT lights. (No, I don't work for them!!!)

Actually, the last time I went to JoAnns, they had a new OttLite bulb. It is an actual lightbulb that replaces a 100 watt bulb. It looks like the CFLs that are already on the market, but have a more true light (less yellow cast). I bought one and it's great. They are not as cheap as the regular CFLs, but for sewing or craft room where you want true color, it's so much better. I will probably be buying a few more next time the OttLites are on sale there or I will look elsewhere like eBay.

I just looked on the JoAnn's website and they have different wattages for these CFL style bulbs (http://www.joann.com/joann/search/se...questid=392615).

However, as other people stated, all the tube like OttLite bulbs will only fit OttLite type lamps.

I have an Regular lamp that uses an Ott Lite bulb that screws in like a regular bulb, I use it for reading. I also have a Ott Floor lamp that will only use a plug in type bulb the bulb for it is $30, the ott lite bulb for a regular lamp is about $11.

I bought my ott lite light bulb for my regular lamp at JoAnns. They are sometimes hard to find but you can get them online.

This is a web site, that might help.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...7XT5g&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tljp130132599345306&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14661128631370072352&sa=X&ei=r6iQTcivHYq-sAOWmOieAg&sqi=2&ved=0CF8Q8gIwBA#

Quote Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
    As others have said, the lightbulbs only fit OTT fixtures.

The OTT Lights themselves are worth 10 times what I pay for them in terms of SAVING MY EYES from strain and premature aging, matching colors, etc. I can do 8+ hours per day hand sewing or embroidery with an OTT light and never feel it. Also, they're terrific for reading (studying) and an absolute godsend for small-scale intricate work like beading or petit point embroidery.

I bought a flip-up Task light for my Mom for her 75th birthday a decade ago and she is STILL raving about how huge a difference it makes in her hand-sewing and crafts work. By her recommendation alone, over 20 of her friends in her various craft and social groups have bought OTT lights. (No, I don't work for them!!!)

I bought the spiral light bulb one and use it in a clamp on desk lamp. Works just fine. $14.00 was a lot better than even the $35.00 one on sale.

Thanks you for the info I will most definitely check it out. I have a great lamp by my machine I just need the bulb. Didn't want to by another lamp.

Blog Entries
    Out west, we have what is called Fred Meyers-a one stop shopping store. I bought a floor lamp and a desk lamp that look like Otto lights. They were at least half the price. And I buy their brand of light bulbs for them at a fraction of the cost. Sorry, it has been a while since I bought one so I don't remember the brand. But, the bulb looks just the same and costs about $8-12. I use mine every night and it has been quite a while since I have replaced it. :-D

check for sales.......they are always going on sale! For my money-(own 3) they are WORTH THE PRICE!

check for sales.......they are always going on sale! For my money-(own 3) they are WORTH THE PRICE!

well worth it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    Just a word to note, if you begin to have trouble sleeping at night after sewing with an Ott light. You may be light sensitive and will need to watch how much and how late at nite you sew using the light. Pam M
    Tell me more about the light sensitivity? I have heard that exposure to bright light in the morning will help regulate your body clock in a good way, & too much bright light late @ night will cause problems with sleep cycles. Is this what you mean? Thanks, CT

I have 2 Ott's for myself, & just bought 2 for my sons in college for Xmas...desk style were on sale for only $15 each @ Michael's on Black Friday Nov 2010. I am a happy user.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast