Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ott lights.

I've notice that Joann's sell ott light bulbs. My question is this. Can you use an Ott bulb in place of a regular light bulb? Has anyone every tried this? Are Ott lights worth the price?

Quote Originally Posted by My time
    I've notice that Joann's sell ott light bulbs. My question is this. Can you use an Ott bulb in place of a regular light bulb? Has anyone every tried this? Are Ott lights worth the price?
    No - they can only be used in ott lights

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    They don't FIT in other lights.

Jan in VA

Check out www.ottlite.com. Big sale, prices very good and right now it is buy 1 get 1 free.

Yes, Otto light are worth the price. I have two of them and I love them.

I have 6 Ott lights at various work stations in my room. They are fabulous. Frankly I just don't see well enough without them....that said I bought mine many years ago at I believe at office supply store and they were suprisingly a lot less money there than at a sewing/quilting store.

I bought the Ott light bulbs and have in my light next to my chair when I'm working on my quilting. I did buy the highest wattage I could though. Has worked well for me.

They are worth the money, most definitely! Watch for them on sale, that's how I got my two, & love them both!

I just got my first one. It makes such nice bright light. I got it at lowes at a considerable savings from buying at regular sewing stores.

I "loan" my Ott light to my birds (two cockatiels) in the winter when they can't get outside sunshine - it's full spectrum lighting, and the bulbs are much cheaper in Joann's than they are in a pet store.

Less expensive alternative: daylight flourescent bulbs. I use them everywhere.

I have 2 ott lights and yes they are worth the money. Lowes is cheaper That is where I got the table one I have.

Recently one of my 10 year old Ott lights bit the dust. I found several at Office Depot and they we much cheaper than JoAnns on sale. I travel full time in a 42 foot motorhome and have three of them! The one I just bought is AC/DC which is really nice.

They don't fit anything else, but you can buy bulbs that give you natural light that will fit a regular light. Look around at Lowes or Home Depot.

Yes, they are worth every penny spent on them. I have them all over my sewing room. I "had" two of the Ott floorlamps. My daughter called me when we were in Az and said "Mom I borrowed one of your nice lamps in the sewing room, I will bring it back when you guys get home".. Guess what? that was 2 years ago. Oh well, we do things like that for our children. I sure wouldn't want her to go blind because I took my lamp back..LOL

I bought an Ott lightbulb at Joanns that fits in a regular socket It was on sale for something like $4.00 gives a totally different light They have them on their website

I purchased a regular ott light to use next to my sewing machine when necessary on sale at Joanns several years ago. I use it sparingly since I have an autoimmune disease that can flare if I am exposed to sunlight or the ott light unprotected. I recently purchased a small handheld OTT light at Joanns with a coupon. I use it to tell what color my clothing is when I am getting dressed in the morning. Between getting older and beginning cataracts I have the worst time tellig black from blue in particular. I can't remember how many times I have ended up with blue pants and black socks or the opposite. One time I actually did a public presentation with the wrong color blouse.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I would say that they have been well worth my investment. I purchased two years ago and have not had to replace the bulbs. They allow me to sew at night, whereas other lights do not. The OP's are right, though. More recently the full-spectrum lights have come out and they work well, too.

Another less expensive alternative is:
    Full Spectrum lamps at Big Lots. The last time I was in one of their stores, they still carried these.

I have 3 floor models for which I paid $29.99 (each one came with an extra bulb that sold for $9.99
    if ordered from the company!) Table models are about $5. less, no extra bulb. I have had mine for several years and have not yet had to replace a bulb. The bulb is a florescent (4 tube) and gives clear white light. I use one by my sewing area and leave it on all day!

I bought 2 Ott lights and could not get the bulbs out to replace them. Finally broke the darn thing and tossed it. One is left and used very little. No more Ott lights for me. Just my preference.

June in Cincinnati

Blog Entries
    I have OTT light bulbs in most of my lights at home. I buy the OTT bulbs that fit anyplace a regular bulb will. They are in most of the table lamps in my house and in several overhead fixtures. They are great for over the mirror light.
    The Ott bulbs are:
    15 Watt Compact Fluorescent Bulb - Replaces 60 watt incandescent bulbs
    25 Watt Compact Fluorescent Bulb - Replaces 100 watt incandescent bulbs
    I got the whole set for $80 at http://www.ottlite.com/p-193-starter-kit.aspx

Blog Entries
    I have two Ott light bulbs in two different cheap standard light stands. Got the bulbs at a local "everything" store for $10.00 each.

Maybe mine are different? They are OTT-Lite 15W. Love them!

We have three, no four Ott lights in teh house. DH just bought one on sale from JA's with free shipping for his desk when doing his homework. Loves it and I have my floor one back for sewing.
    I have never used the Ott bulbs in other lights in the house. Too expensive. HOwever, I have had my floor light for over 15 years and have only replaced teh bulb once which was last summer. I don't like the Daylight or other lights that imitate Ott's. I don't believe they are anywhere near the same.
    Pay the price and you will not be sorry.

I have an "Ott Light". Love it, want to get another one, I'll have to check the other stores before I go to Joann's

Blog Entries
    Yes, Ott lights are worth the price I have two of them.
    Watch Joann's add they have great sales.

Blog Entries
    i use daylight fluorescent bulbs from home depot in all the rooms of my house . Made a big difference this winter for lighting. See much better. Bought 100 ones for sewing room didn't have any problems . Could actually see good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast