Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Ott lights.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilticing
    Less expensive alternative: daylight flourescent bulbs. I use them everywhere.
    I have also used these in my ott light.

What ever came of those tall "halogen" lamps? Probably can't buy bulbs for them now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caliquocat
    What ever came of those tall "halogen" lamps? Probably can't buy bulbs for them now.
    They are much to hot anyway

i have a ott light and i think they are well worth the price, love mine santa gave it to me for Christmas along with the magnifying glass attached to the pole

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Yes, they are worth every penny spent on them. I have them all over my sewing room. I "had" two of the Ott floorlamps. My daughter called me when we were in Az and said "Mom I borrowed one of your nice lamps in the sewing room, I will bring it back when you guys get home".. Guess what? that was 2 years ago. Oh well, we do things like that for our children. I sure wouldn't want her to go blind because I took my lamp back..LOL
    Time to buy her one for her birthday. Maybe she would get the hint that you would like yours back. Or better yet suggest that as a gift you would like. K

check out Michaels also - when they have their coupons you can get a pretty good sale - can't live without mine - love it!

Blog Entries
    I have an Ott-lite floor lamp that I just love. Haven't had to change the bulb yet.

I buy the ott light bulbs with a regular bulb base and they work great in my floor light that I picked up that some one set out by our dumpster. Nothing wrong with the lamp just needed a new bulb so I decided to try the ott light bulb. IT IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh my, I sure do need one of these. Do the Ott Lights give off heat like a regular incandescent bulb?

Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC
    Quote Originally Posted by My time
    I've notice that Joann's sell ott light bulbs. My question is this. Can you use an Ott bulb in place of a regular light bulb? Has anyone every tried this? Are Ott lights worth the price?
    No - they can only be used in ott lights
    Not necessarly, I bought a swing arm lamp for my sewing room. I went to Lowe's and bought an ott bulb and put it in my swing arm and it fit.

I have a floor model that I use to read by in my favorite chair
    and my sister gave me a table top that I use with my sewing machines & serger. I like them because it provides bright light that doesn't blind you in you look directly into it. They are very expensive but I got mine 60% off and my sister got the desk model 50% off...still pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    Between getting older and beginning cataracts I have the worst time tellig black from blue in particular. I can't remember how many times I have ended up with blue pants and black socks or the opposite. One time I actually did a public presentation with the wrong color blouse.
    I found a solution to the confusion over blue/black socks. I store the blue socks in the drawer with my white socks. The black socks are in the drawer with my underwear. You might want to try the same thing with blue/black pants - always hang the blue ones to the right side of the closet and the black ones to the left side of the closet (or vice-versa).

I bought OTT lighbulbs at Lowe's and just put the bulb in an old floor lamp I had. Works fine. Less than $10

Banned
    Blog Entries
    OTT lite is in the process of changing their light fixtures and bulbs...if you have an older model, you might want to stock up soon...

also you can find "daylight/full spectrum" bulbs in office stores as well..

Senior Member The Quiet Quilter's Avatar
    Love mine so far. I bought it from Joann's a few months ago.
    Since I've been unable to sew due to two knee replacements in
    the last year and a half with complications. So I've been using
    it as a reading light. Might have to get another one when I get back to sewing which will be real soon hopefully. Hugs, Sharon

Blog Entries
    My children bought me the floor Ott light as a birthday present and I use it constantly when sewing. Love it!!!!

Blog Entries
    I have two, One I love the other I don't care for. I got it at Joann's, the first I got in Canada. The problem with the one from Joann's: it is topheavy and the base is not heavy, or large enough to keep it upright when sitting in my easy chair, which is where I like to do my hand sewing. I have to keep a magazine basket on it to help keep its head up. It does have the advantage of clamping onto a table tho. These are both floor models.

I have 4 ott lights. Two downstairs for hand-sewing reading,etc. and two upstairs in my quilting room. These eyes couldn't survive without them!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    I have 6 Ott lights at various work stations in my room. They are fabulous. Frankly I just don't see well enough without them....that said I bought mine many years ago at I believe at office supply store and they were suprisingly a lot less money there than at a sewing/quilting store.
    Yes, just add "Quilting" to any item and you can almost expect 2X the price.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    I have 6 Ott lights at various work stations in my room. They are fabulous. Frankly I just don't see well enough without them....that said I bought mine many years ago at I believe at office supply store and they were suprisingly a lot less money there than at a sewing/quilting store.
    I also bought my first one at an Office supply store, years ago. I just love it and can't work without it.

I am told that the ones from quilt stores are brighter but I don't see much difference between my two lights.

Yes, they are worth the money, but you can always use your coupons at Joann's. I did......and saved !!!!

Blog Entries
    I just bought one at Big Lots ($29.99)and I love it!! My eyesight is so bad even with progressive lens in my glasses that around dusk my vision starts to dim. The light is wonderful. I can't use the flourescent bulbs...they put out a flickering that gives me migraines. Next time I'm in Big Lots, I'm going to pick up another one. I got the last one on my last visit!

Love my Ott! I think they now make bulbs that are retrofitted for other lamps. I also like the pale blue colored bulbs they sell everywhere - -Walmart, Lowe's, etc. They mimic sunlight.

Thanks for the info about this light. I will get me and my hubby one. it will help him with his fly tying.

Quote Originally Posted by quilticing
    Less expensive alternative: daylight flourescent bulbs. I use them everywhere.
    My husband wired up several long tube fluorescsent lights over all my cutting counters. I have a medium-size basement window on one wall, and I use goose neck lamps on the ends. I could still use more light.
    Have never investigated the Ott lights, as they look really expensive. Sounds like they may be worth it, though.

The Ott floorlamps are well worth the money and so are the natural light bulbs, they have helped get us through this long winter with a lot of quilting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3