Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Out of... WHAT?

If you make nice flat folded pieces, there is a lot of space between the mattress and box springs. Keeps it well pressed too lol. You can put it in the back of the linen closet behind the towels.

My DH does not mind how much fabric I get, but I still can't seem to find satisfactory places to store it. I have large, clear tubs and I color sort everything...obviously too much stash. I'll never live long enough to make all these quilts.
    Virginia

I have been accused of being a hoarder, but my daughter meant it in fun. (I hope) But I live way out of town and don't want to drive 7 1/2 miles (one way) just to buy a piece of fabric. Plus, you can never have too much fabric!

I realized I have too much and will probably never use it all so I started digging out older items and gifting them. Gone are boxes to my 2 dds out of state and 3 boxes to QB friends in need.

Thought I was doing well- didn't buy anymore than blenders for a project, wee bit for SQA and swaps. Truly watching not to regain what I cleaned out. And then I went to the basement to dd's room that we turned into storage. Organizing created 2 more empty tubs. I thought that was great, I'm getting somewhere, until I counted the tubs. I thought I should have 12- I swear those tubs were not using birth control- there are 18! I could have sworn I had 14.

Bottom line, I started making piles of fabric. I have to get some boxes, last week I flattened and recycled a bunch of boxes so I don't have any right now. I really need to get rid of 2 more boxes. I know I will not use this all. I just pick random people here on the board and email them and off goes a box. I honestly don't have the time to take pics, post them and follow up to sell. So I just hope I send the right stuff to someone who is in need.

so we are thinking about moving to another state and we only have one child still at home so in reality we should be able to downsize to a 2 bedroom right? WRONG!!! i have been looking at rental listings and we have a better chance of finding a 3bedroom house than a 2 bedroom (rather NOT live in an apartment)and as far as price the 3 is about the same or just a bit more in price. so i tell the hubby def getting a 3 got to have someplace for craft room which is fine with him because hopefully in the near future this is going to start making us some money or course if i get off here and get busy! it will be so nice to not have to put everything away when it is time for bed which in turn will make it much easier to pick up the next day so i might actually get something done.

well I can't complain about a big stash because I can't afford it. BUT if the prices do go up on fabric, I will have too give up my idea of quilting and I will be wishing I had a big stash stored back like yall! Not being able too have a big stash financially won't make me have too leave my new circle of friends here that are teaching me things does it.

After 20 years I finally found out who had my foster mother's quilt frames and they gave them too me. Small ones for baby quilts I suppose and big ones for big folks like me. I have them hanging on my wall in the living room so as not too ever lose them.

Quote Originally Posted by krabadan
    Does anyone else hope they get to use it before they move on to another dimension?
    I'm not going if I can't take it with me!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    We were driving along today and DH saw this small house and long storage shed. He says that is what we need! A small house and a long long storage building! LOL He is my enabler when it comes to collecting!! Whether it is stash or collectibles!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    The other day, my grown DD was staring in amazement at my spare bedroom....the boxes of fabric, etc. have grown to overwhelm the room (well, there is still walking room around the bed). And I'm trying to reorganize my sewing room so the spare bed was piled with various boxes of "essential" stuff. I told her that this was the stuff that I used on a regular basis and asked her if she had any ideas about storing it. Her comment? "Mom, you got way too much stuff!" :lol:
    Can there ever be a time when we have to much 'stuff'???

I think not!!!!!!
    When I read this sentence it reminded me of what my 21 yr. old g-dtr said last wk. when she spent 2 nights with me. We were in my sewing rm. doing some mending for her when she said "G-ma, I wish I had a lot of "stuff" at my place. It makes it so homey". She'll eat her words someday. LOL

The other day, my grown DD was staring in amazement at my spare bedroom....the boxes of fabric, etc. have grown to overwhelm the room (well, there is still walking room around the bed). And I'm trying to reorganize my sewing room so the spare bed was piled with various boxes of "essential" stuff. I told her that this was the stuff that I used on a regular basis and asked her if she had any ideas about storing it. Her comment? "Mom, you got way too much stuff!" :lol:
    One of my DDs also thinks I have "way too much stuff"! No way am I letting her 'help' me sort through it...she'd toss most of it! (I'm glad I'm in good company, sewjoyce!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo47
    No way am I letting her 'help' me sort through it...she'd toss most of it! (I'm glad I'm in good company, sewjoyce!)
    Hm... Let her go shopping with you one time, looking at prices, and I be she rethinks that whole throwing away thing.
    Ours is not a particularly cheap hobby, for the most part.

I know for sure that I have enough stash for 3 lifetimes. I only hope that if I go before my two children and DH, they find good homes for my beautiful fabric (and quilting books - have I mentioned my books?), not the nearest dumpster!
    I have had my son,s that is what they would do! I nearly fainted and then proceeded to tell them that this was there inheritance and would have no problem selling any of it.

Blog Entries
    THIS IS NOT A QUICK REPLY! My DH and I live in an old business bldg with an upstairs appt. we own 2 bldg on one side of 2 story and 1 bldg on other side. Also a RV garage out back. For many years I have complained that DH had 90% of the space. In one of the other bldgs we made an appt for my parents and then later my sis moved into it. My sis passed away last Sept. Just recently I started moving out her things and making myself a room for my 18" long arm and another room for my sewing machines and table. Wel-l-l sis had a stash of her own (couldn't really compair with mine tho) and I had to find a place for her stuff and mine that was crammed into the upstairs appt. The stuff out of the upstairs appt filled one of her bedrooms. Her stash was in plastic tubs in her LR. This doesn't even compair to what I have stashed in tubs in the loft and one wall of shelves, that was my alloted space out of 3 downstairs bldgs, and the garage.Last nite I started moving the tubs out of her bedroom and into her LR along with her tubs of stash. I don't have it all moved yet and there isn't room for any more. I also have my DH's grandma's stash in 4 chest of drawers in another room. His mothers silk stash that is in plastic blanket bags, is on a couch in another storeage room. If I never bought another scrap I have enough fabric for my daughter and her daughter to use from and probably still have some left over. I can't help it! I am a fabricaholic and I have told my kids that I am keeping it till I die! The only way I can keep from buying more is to stay out of the stores. That only drives me to online shopping. I just have to stop looking!Are all of you all that bad? Once you have this big of a stash tho, you don't have to worry about hiding stuff. You can hide it in plane sight and no one will ever notice it! linda

I am glad to see some one else uses their spare room to put their precious fabric in while you are sorting out the sewing room. I have only a week to get it back out of the spare room--school holidays are here and some one wants to visit me for a week. don't know who yet. I need HELP fast.

I too, have tubs full of stash..I purchased the movers dollys which are about 30"x 24" carpeted and on rollers. Now have
    those tubs on rollers, easy to move around...and can get to the
    shelves behind without picking them all up. You can stack
    several tubs on each one. Harbor Freight has the dollys for
    under $12. Put them on your Xmas list....

Blog Entries
    Sounds just like something my DD would say, needless to say mine doesn't sew, but she is an avid reader and has boo quos of books. So I gues we are in the same boat, way too much stuff. lol

Blog Entries
    I store things in my guest bathroom. I even have a plastic chest of drawers in it to hold extra guest towels, toilet paper, and a couple of other misc things. Close the shower curtain and know one is the wiser.

its amazing reading about all of your fabrics, i get a big laugh i can just see your rooms full of fabric, I got very very little but i can imageine haveing more lol
    HUGS yall make my day
    Dora

Have not read all posts but the best one I heard of was on another site. A lady bought a sample casket and removed all of the insides. She very carefully folded and stored "some" of her stash in the coffin. Her husband was curious so one night he opened it. Inside, on top of the stash, was a note that said..."Who says I can't take it with me" That response won the prize for the best entry. I always say that if I die before my DH, I will be embarrased in Heaven if he finds out all the places I have it in. He has told me not to worry because he already knows where I have it stashed...

Hi,
    You might search out tutorials and look at the pictures that I believe Anya did with bookcases, I followed her directions and boy does it make a difference in a room you still have all of the fabric but you can also see it all and get to it when you need it. I had to buy the bookcases because my husband is ill and can no longer build for me. My room is so pretty now. Also if I didn't do something you would soon see me on the Hoarders T.V. program but then again I am not a Hoarder but a collector.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Marion

Quote Originally Posted by fmd36
    Have not read all posts but the best one I heard of was on another site. A lady bought a sample casket and removed all of the insides. She very carefully folded and stored "some" of her stash in the coffin. Her husband was curious so one night he opened it. Inside, on top of the stash, was a note that said..."Who says I can't take it with me" That response won the prize for the best entry. I always say that if I die before my DH, I will be embarrased in Heaven if he finds out all the places I have it in. He has told me not to worry because he already knows where I have it stashed...
    :lol: :lol:

I wonder if it's an obsession :)

GOT MILK???
    Name:  Attachment-114861.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  49.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by auntmag
    How about putting it "under" if you are out of "up".
    Yes!!! I store some of mine under the bed in boxes that can be seen thru. If you need to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond and buy the bed lifters that you put under the legs of the bed. This gives you another 6 inches of space. Color code then on the outside. Some boxes even have wheels!! HaHa!!! If you use both sides of the bed, you can get a lot under there.

a magnificent one. At least we are not in the bars unless somone opened a shop in one. Hmmmmm what an idea, can you just see all of us on stools with the bartender bring us the fabric, boy would he/she be worn out. Say cat lady what kind of cat is that? My husband has always said that he doesn'r like cats but last night we were watching cats 1010 and he said that if he had a cat he wants a large tom.
    Marion

Dee
    Never enough stash.

I have a coffee cup that holds my cone thread before it goes through the machine, and it says She who dies with the most fabric, wins.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast