Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Overcoming Fear >

Overcoming Fear

Overcoming Fear

Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 PM

I so feel what you're saying. That describes me to a "T". I wanna master everything in one day. Talk about the impossible.

So, I'm still not totally comfortable or confident, but after a handful of different classes, tons of books and magazines, printed stuff off the Internet, and on and on, I just decided to experiment with different pieces, shapes, colors to build my confidence. My little "samples" are all jacked up but the experience was invaluable and sparked excitement into wanting to try/do more.

Try to sit and not think deeply about what you're doing, just sew and get lost in the sound of the machine. I promise it won't be long before you are whipping up some amazing project to share with us here. :thumbup:
Old 06-02-2010, 04:49 AM

I will tell you from my own experience. I am NOT "Artsy" always been envious (sp) of anyone who could draw a colorful stick person. Then I made my first quilt, then my second and so on. Look at the Crysanthimum I made. This was my creation, Every time I sew another block together I get this Overwhelming Feeling that "I did This!" and Its Beautiful. Even if it's only in my eyes. I can be creative "FINALLY" after 53 years. So go to your sewing room, relax and if have to ask questions or rip out what you've sewn the end result will give you SO much statisfaction you'll wonder why it took you so Long. Enjoy and Give Yourself a Pat On the Back.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:12 AM

I can understand how you feel. I think if you take one step at a time, you will do great! I myself find that I see all those beautiful quilts online or at a show and think "I wish I could do that." I think it is all practice and more practice. I am hand quilting Grandmother's flower garden and it will go on forever, but so far it is very pretty (am told by my family and friends).
Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 AM

My DH and I watch George Lopez's sit coms on tv, in the kitchen they have a blackboard on the refrigerator and they have inspirational sayings on it most of the time, but you have to pay attention to catch them. anyway, my favorite so far is "focus on the task, not the fear of the task". It's appropriate for so many things in life, and quilting is one of those. I get that same anxiety everytime I sit down to FMQ.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 AM

I just want to show you what you can do if you just get in there and make that first cut. The 2 quilts are going out to be quilted, but I just started quilting in Oct of 2009. I am soooo hooked that it consumes me. I was scared to death on the Tennessee Waltz but Eleanor Burns makes it as simple as possible. :lol:

Tennessee Waltz Moda Fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77465[/ATTACH]

Paradise All Batik's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77466[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77460.jpe   attachment-77461.jpe  
Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 AM

I just wrote this comment on another message and then read your comment.....

What I've learned and why I love quilting.....There are no mistakes. There are errors but there is nothing that can't be fixed. The result....might not be what we planned or expected....but NO ONE knows that but us, the maker.

And, the love that goes into a quilt is worth all the frustration or excitement we feel.

Just think "How far that love travels"? One of my quilts is now in Germany. My niece and her husband are stationed there.

Ain't Love Grand!!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 AM

I feel like I am the same way, so, I take a block pattern I like and make one block. After that I am on a roll. It's the first step that is the hardest to do. Keep saying to yourself "I can do it".
Old 06-02-2010, 08:27 AM

I have only been quilting since Jan. I dedcided my first project would be a table topper. The LQS helped my pick out charm squares and fat quarters needed for the project. Boy, did I learn a lot doing this. I also learned how to hide my mistakes. It was fun and my personal treasure. Jump in and go for it.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 AM

We all had fears when we first started to quilt. I learned to measure twice then cut. Also my seam ripper is the best tool I own. You have the equipment and materials to start with just sy a little prayer and go to it.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:53 AM

I think we all were afraid when we started, he.. I still have some fear when I start a new project and if all is going well, I tense up expecting something bad to happen. When things do go wrong, I take a deep breath, walk away and come back when I can concentrate. I have also been know to render a few expletives #@#$%