Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Overheard at Joanne's

Happy New Year and yes, I've been away. Lots of family stuff to deal with as well as the holidays but things seem to be calming down.
    Scissors! I have many pair of scissors for many different uses. When I made wedding gowns I bought specific shears and labeled them. One for satins, taffetas, linings, and other delicates. One for velvets and furs and fleece. One for beaded fabrics. One for interfacings, buckram and other utility type fabrics. I have scissors that are specifically tagged for cottons, denims, duck and canvas, etc. I also have scissors in every spot in the house: each desk, the kitchen (poultry as well as utility scissors, laundryroom, bathrooms and gift wrapping center. There is absolutely no excuse to even walk into my sewingroom for a cutting tool. They quickly learned if they did I would not use that scissor for that purpose again (would you risk a cut of fabric costing many $$?). They had to go buy me another identical pair. My som once had to replace a pr costing over $70. Then there are the pinkers and scalloping ones...............if there's one thing my kids took to their own homes it was what to use for what purpose. Now the tape dispenser was a whole other story....hahaha.
    Chris
    Third star to the right and straight on til morning.....

When my kids were little I used to have that same problem, hpwever, now that they're all grown, I can tell them if they use them, those are Ginghers and they're VERY expensive and they will have to replace them as soon as they're done with them. Amazingly enough, I haven't had a problem in years!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Oh that is such a funny story yet very clever. I just keep my sewing room locked.

Quote Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
    We have a rule at my house - you touch my scissors and I go buy a new pair. DH didn't think that was a big deal until I told him how much a new pair would cost. I bought him a whole bunch of cheap scissors and put them all over the house in various drawers, so now he uses them.

On a side note - a friend of mine got tired of her husband using her good scissors so she bought a bunch of suitcase padlocks. She puts the padlock on the handles so he can't open them to cut anything and the key is on a chain around her neck. Pretty clever idea.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

I have a 'good' pair of scissors that I use for cutting jar tags (cardstock) at the candle shop. I marked them plainly PAPER ONLY. So where did I find them last week? You guessed it...someone had been using them to cut wick - which has a thin zinc wire in the middle of it. Hope I hid them better on my desk this time. LOL! At least they weren't my fabric scissors...those stay in my studio.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    DH used my rotary cutter to yhack off some leathery substrate. Let's just say we had words. He now no longer uses my tools without asking first.

Blog Entries
    Lol....how funny! Yes, and I read this out loud to my dh....just in case.lol
    Tammy
    Tammy
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tam73501?feature=mhee

Blog Entries
    Busted!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    The only scissors that I keep out of reach are my batting scissors. If you don't have these, get them! They are great. I don't have any scissors but good ones in my house. It doesn't matter if they are in the sewing room or kitchen drawer, they are all good. I have several scissors still in the box in case I need a new pair when I need one. Great scissors are not that expensive anymore. My Ginghers were on sale and cost lest then a pair of Clover scissors I bought. I have one pair of Dovo embrodiery scissors for my hand sewing and they will passed down to my DGD http://www.dovo.com/_english/scheren.html
    Got fabric?

Funny, funny, funny! My DH would have sworn that he never touched them even though it's only the two of us in the house.
    If you choose the behavior, you accept the consequences...Dr. Phil

I love my Fiskars and my Ginghers! Although I have 3 in college now, I always bought them each their own scissors which were kept in their rooms. Plus I always kept 3 to 4 pairs of "paper" scissors in the kitchen drawer! Mom's fabric scissors were always left alone!

That's hilarious! I can totally imagine the desperation as that guy searched for an exact replacement....I'm going to have to read this one to my husband (because it sounds like he has another twin out there ha ha!

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Just ask my husband about the time I used his chainsaw for grubbing out small stumps. Saw chain + dirt = new chain.

My husband has to ask me for a pair of scissors. He was cutting up some old clothes and he knew that I have sharp scissors that would work better than the ones he has.

Blog Entries
    A few years back my Gingher scissors were used to cut thin metal wire...neither my dh or our ds ever did 'fess up as to who the culprit was, they were both working on the same hobby...I just happened by and saw my Ginghers lying there next to a spool of thin wire..... I picked them up and saw a nick in the blade...needless to say I got a new pair of scissors asap, and now it is too funny how they will make sure and ask before borrowing any scissors!!... Now of course I am the perfect dw, and I have never borrowed any tools from my guys...riiight....lol...I know we all make goofs, just glad they haven't been too expensive of goofs, and we try and recall that our relationships are priceless!
    Take care all,
    Kif
    Last edited by kiffie2413; 01-16-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

This is so funny!!!! How clever. My good ones have long pieces of fabric tied to the handle. DH and DD know they are only for fabric! I do try to keep a good supply of cheapies around so they are not tempted!

In Illinois that's refered to as JUSTIFIABLE HOMICIDE!
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Over 35 years ago I bought a pair of embroidery scissors -- they cost $20 which was a weeks worth of groceries. They had a very sharp point and would make a good cut with the point. They were not ginghers, but I don't remember the brand. DH borrowed them and cut speaker wire -- because they were the only thing he tried that had a fine enough tip to cut the wire. He promised me new scissors, but by the time we had saved to buy them the shop no longer carried the brand (too expensive). We are still married -- but I do remind him about the scissors when I find him rumaging in my sewing room.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like my late DH --- my 4" Ginghers were just the right thing to cut his wirre with ---- I got the nick worked out of the blade, but they are not "true" so keep them in my remember box. I still look for a pair to replace them. Of course he couode always point out the telescoping magnet I was always borrowing from his toolbox. Finally one Christmas he gave jme a set of two ---one a bit larger than the other and I now have my own toolbox. LOL

I went to a local hardware store which also had fabric, she carefully looked into her special place for her fiskers and someone found out where she hid them, and took them. Someone was very naughty.
    Jo

Blog Entries
    I make sure there are several non-sewing scissors strategically placed around the house so the men in my house keep their mits off mine! Now, if I could only get them to leave my baster alone!!

This has been such an interesting thread. I've truly enjoyed it.

He knew he was in for it unless he came up with the same thing that he ruined. lol.
    katigirl

30 yrs later, i still remember my mom blowing her top when we took her sewing scissors. There were 10 of us rug rats, so she never really knew which one of us took em. She was a lefty, so she usually went to the lefty sibs for them. To this day, the grandkids love to hear stories about Mimi and her scissors.

All my grown children say they remember me screaming a lot. I only remember screaming "Where are my scissors?".
    Vic Tori Ann Work Shop

My late husband once used my gingher scissors to cut carpeting. They got totally out of alignment and dull. He did buy me a new pair and never did anything like that again. After that I kept lots of scissors handy that were ok for him to use, and kept my ginghers in a drawer when not in use.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast