Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Overheard at Joanne's

awe poor guy !! at least he is trying to make things right !!!

When I finally got my quilting room it was next to his VERY messy workshop, one rule I had was if he left his stuff in my quilt room I could toss it and he could toss mine if I left it in his workshop. He's been missing some screw drivers for some time now........
    Last edited by Cagey; 01-17-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
    That is a funny story! I have had my hubby and kids trained for a longggggggggg time not to touch my sewing scissors. They were threatened enough not to otuch them. Most men feel whats the difference. But quilters and sewers alike all know the difference! Luann
    I have always threatened my family about using my sewing scissors! My attention to my sewing scissors was brought home to me many years ago. My older daughter and one of her friends (both were five or six years old at the time) were cutting some paper items in her room. I overheard her tell the little friend, "We can use these scissors to cut paper, but if we use Mommy's scissors, that will get us killed"! That daughter is now 40 years old and I don't belive she has EVER used my sewing scissors for anything but fabric! (Evidently, I made a huge impression on her! LOL!

I used to carry my good ones in my purse to ensure this didn't happen. No longer a problem.

I have about 7-8 old pairs of Fiskars spread throughout the house. DH knows if it doesn't have a colored handle, don't use it. My Ginger scissors are all in the sewing room where they'll be safe from someone looking to grab the first sharp thing he can find. He thinks sharp points are made to poke holes in cans and knives can fill in for screwdrivers. If I left a good pair of scissors around they'd get the same treatment if they were the first thing he spotted. There's only two of us in the house but you'd be amazed at how many "I don't know what happened, I never touched them" answers I get. It must be that blasted ghost we don't have.

Yes I have threatened to kill my husband when I see him going outside with my good scissors! He's like it's just a pair of scissors - No its not! How about I go out back with your golf clubs and just start whacking around at the ground they are just clubs! Took him to Fabricland (discount store similar to JoAnn) and bought a whole package of cheap scissors and stuck them in his tool box. I've hidden my 3 good pairs of scissors so they're not at eye sight view of him. Guy at the store is a very smart man hope he found a replacement pair or at least she gives him some relief for at least attempting to replace them lol

Blog Entries
    in my house they would lose their fingers, i have two sets of kai scissors, both of which my hubs bought, so he knows not to use, because they can't be replaced, i have had these sets for over twenty years, and they still cut like the day i got them and these sets are no longer made.
    Mary

There's a rule in my house too....but my kitchen shears always seem to get gone and they're my Cutco ones. I always ask him "What are you going to be cutting?" He hates it.
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Blog Entries

Overheard at Joanne's

Quote Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
    We have a rule at my house - you touch my scissors and I go buy a new pair. DH didn't think that was a big deal until I told him how much a new pair would cost. I bought him a whole bunch of cheap scissors and put them all over the house in various drawers, so now he uses them.

On a side note - a friend of mine got tired of her husband using her good scissors so she bought a bunch of suitcase padlocks. She puts the padlock on the handles so he can't open them to cut anything and the key is on a chain around her neck. Pretty clever idea.
    Love the lock idea. Got to get me some small locks.

Blog Entries
    That is too funny. I got so mad at my kids borrowing my shears to cut paper that one Christmas I gifted them each with their own pair of shears exactly like mine with their own name written in Sharpie Ink on them. Thirty years later I found my DDs in her drawer in the kitchen and she says she still uses them all the time.

Blog Entries
    Very funny scissors stories. I love the JoAnn's story. I imagine anyone within earshot chuckled about that all day. Hope he found the exact scissors or he may have found his clothes on the front porch. I love the idea of the padlock. My husband and I have been married so long and had so many discussions about my sewing scissors I don't think I need the padlock now, but could have used it years ago when my children were still home.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rayjanetwashburn View Post
    HA--I get it. The good sewing scissors are the first ones that came into view. I know my husband would not take the time to look any further.
    LOL If I don't want my husband to get into something all I have to do is make it a little inconvenient to get to. He likes things handy and if they are not, he calls me to get it for him. lol

Husbands have no idea until you use one of THEIR tools. My guy never touches my scissors except fot the designated kitchen drawer scissors. Do you know how long that took to train????

Quote Originally Posted by deedum View Post
    My dh asked me if I have whatever he needs in my sewing room, he will even call me at work to make sure he can use it before he does. Also, we have a rule, he doesn't go into my sewing room and I stay out of his garage. His rule works for me.

That's our rule too. I have 3 pairs of fabric ONLY scissors, and I keep them tucked inside my sewing cabinet. As a rule the "out of sight - out of mind" thing works well. I keep one pair of "abuse me' scissors ON the front of the fridge door in a little pot holder sleeve and he always goes for those. I have a tiny pair of German made suture removal scissors that were a gift from one of the Dr's I worked for. They are wicked sharp with a miniscule hook on the tip for picking out ONE stitch. I would indeed be FUZZED UP if someone used them for anything else.

One day my hub asked (as if it were nothing) IF he could use my Bernina 440 to sew something onto his tool belt. I felt my jaw go SLACK!! I waited many many YEARS to buy a nice machine and I felt a bit guilty how fast I barked out "NO WAY!". He looked hurt...LOL I did offer him the use of my 35 yr old Kenmore that runs like a dream, sounds like a hay baler and can sew through tin cans...lol

This is ONE FUNNY THREAD. My hub happened to be walking by just now and I read it to him...as a REMINDER...LOLOL He made a couple funny wise-guy cracks and scampered off laughing to safety...*giggling*

Last edited by Highmtn; 01-18-2012 at 06:07 AM.
    "It's a *fine line* between HOBBY and MENTAL ILLNESS"~ Dave Barry

Blog Entries
    I have a coffee cup that has tire looking thing on bottom half. It says "GOT TOOLS....They better not be MINE!"
    What was the brand of scissors????

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    YIKES!! I guess I have been fortunate - Hubby uses those cheapies in the garage and for paper cutting-we have several all over the house. He bought me my first pair of Gingher's so he knows the price of scissors! LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Interesting post, I sure understand the scissor thing. I was just wondering if any of you have taken your good scissor's and had them sharpend, instead of replacing them? Sure saves a lot of money.

I have several pair of the inexspensive type around the house for general use.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    To all of you thanks for sharing. This has been too funny. We have sissors all over the place. My good ones are where, ( well I am not going to tell). What are Batting sissors? How are they different from regular sissors? Where can you get them? Please PM me. Again thanks for sharing. BrendaK
    Last edited by BrendaK; 01-18-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

We have "THE" scissor rule in our house too with one difference. I have my sewing scissors but I also have my hair cutting scissors that are off limits for everything but hair. Since I cut my DH's hair, he doesn't even LOOK at those scissors but I did catch himm using my sewing scissors ONCE about 30 years ago! He's been a good boy since that one and only faux paux!!!!!!!
    Be responsible, spay/neuter your pets and encourage friends/relatives to do the same. All babies are cute but if they don't have a home they live a life of torture, starvation, fear, and pain. YOU can make a difference!

Awww! Poor guy. He's smart to try to replace them and I hope he doesn't get in big trouble.

That being said, this is a very funny thread. I admit that I would be upset if MY scissors were used without my permission. I'm very possessive of the tools I use for my work. But I know my husband and my children (grown) would make good on their mistake. While I have some Ginghers, I like to use Fiskars with the spring action in them. They're cheap enough and I can get them at WallyMart.

Still laughing!

Have a great day.

Blog Entries
    I made a strict rule in my house that no one, no one uses my scissors for anything other than cutting cotton cloth!!! This was a good rule but no one remembered it if they needed some. So I went out and purchased several scissors that were cheaper. They did not look like the sewing ones, so they couldn't say I thought they were the ones you said I could use. I put one in the kitchen, one in my husband's desk, one on my desk, one in the living room next to the phone where I keep pens and such, one in the bathroom. It has solved the problem doing that. My scissors are safe now.
    Peggy
    Keep on Quilting!
    http://www.beehivequilts.com
    http://www.beehivequilt.blogspot.com/

Too funny. I can hear my daughter saying the same thing about being killed. This has helped me feel better. Love the stories because we have all heard them.

Grounds for divorce...or use rotary cutter and "off with his head" lol.
    Margie....wannaBsewer
    favorite poem..Outwitted by Edwin Markham...He drew a circle that shut us out..heretic, rebel a thing to flout.
    But Love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in!

Oh boy is he in trouble!!!
    Remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

but by the moments that take our breath away.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast