Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Overheard at Joanne's

Quote Originally Posted by littlesurfer View Post
    Reminds me of the time I found my good fiskars scissors in my husband's tools in the garage...he didn't know how they got there...lol!
    That is exactly what my husband would say! Our printer is in my sewing room and I found a pair os regular scissors in my sewing room. That made me nervous so I wrote in black marker on my sewing scissors "sewing only." Hubby asked me why and I explained about not using my sewing scissors.

boy! how familiar is this? however, the other day i found a small hex screwdriver of his in my sewing things. (of course, not knowing how it got there.) anyway, i hurried up and put it in his tools in the shed just now after reading this post.

My husband knows if it is in the sewing room it is off limits........for fear of his life.

Well atleast he didn't hide them and make her feel like she lost them. What a guy for going to replace them. But what was he thinking to pick them up and think cutting tin was a good idea. hahaha. I caught my husbands kids with one of my favorite scissors once. That was all it took. They never touched my scissors again. Infact they stayed out of my sewing room. hehe.
    Kim

That used to happen years ago when my children were still at home, but that was before I bought expensive scissors. Husband doesn't use mine!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    My rule is never let anyone use my scissors for other than fabric.
    We have a draw in the kitchen with other type of scissiors, as well as some in the office. No one uses my sisters in my sewing room.
    Nancy. . . Alameda, Ca.

This has been a fun and interesting post to read. When I bought my Ginghers, I announced to my DH and kids that particular pair of scissors was MINE and for use on fabric only! I'm still using that same pair...had no problems with anyone using for anything but fabric. Like the rest of you, I do keep extra scissors around for miscellaneous use.
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
    We have a rule at my house - you touch my scissors and I go buy a new pair. DH didn't think that was a big deal until I told him how much a new pair would cost. I bought him a whole bunch of cheap scissors and put them all over the house in various drawers, so now he uses them.

On a side note - a friend of mine got tired of her husband using her good scissors so she bought a bunch of suitcase padlocks. She puts the padlock on the handles so he can't open them to cut anything and the key is on a chain around her neck. Pretty clever idea.
    I tried that trick at my house....putting cheap scissors EVERYWHERE and hiding my good ones away in drawers under things and I STILL come home to find my good shears in various places in the house and not a soul seems to know how they got there....my scissor poltergists are 32 and 54 - funnny how I know that
    Lynne

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by lynnegreen View Post
    I tried that trick at my house....putting cheap scissors EVERYWHERE and hiding my good ones away in drawers under things and I STILL come home to find my good shears in various places in the house and not a soul seems to know how they got there....my scissor poltergists are 32 and 54 - funnny how I know that
    I think after I found my scissors the poltergists would find the seat cut out of all their underwear. Maybe the constant draft would be a reminder. I'm old and I can get mean if I have to.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I would not be happy if he was my hubby.

I raised 2 sons. My boys knew better than to touch anything near my sewing machine. My husband continued to use my scissors even after I re-bought a couple of pair. So, I got a little metal tackle box and a little lock and put my set of good fiskars and my embroidery snips in it and my key was on my key ring. In my purse. In my bedroom. God herself would NOT go into my purse without permission!
    It took months of him being frustrated (and cussing) before he finally figured out how to get a pair of his own scissors to use.
    Did I say "ex"? I meant to say "Ex"! lol
    There are men out there who are trainable. MY new husband's mother was a fashion desinger so he grew up in a house filled with models trying on clothes and patterns,scissors adn pins scattered everywhere, and bolts of fabric piled to the rafters in the dining room, so my little piddly sewing spot is sacred.
    Lottie
    Be Yourself. Everyone else is taken.

Don't have trouble with the scissors, but he won't leave my knives alone! Several have the end off where he decided he was the knife-throwing champion! I find my steak knives in his pickups...uses them to cut baling twine. Once he "borrowed" one to do castration on the calves...He had to buy a new one that time!

Too funny. Like his wife will not know that he replaced her scissors, really? Sounds like a man. I keep my fabric scissors hidden from my family so things like that don't happen!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by waquilter View Post
    I used to carry my good ones in my purse to ensure this didn't happen. No longer a problem.
    This cracked me up. I can imagine you digging in your purse at the checkout stand and pulling out your scissors and having the store employee later telling everyone about the lady who had a pair of scissors in her purse. Ha ha ha...
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Even if he did find a same brand name pair, she might know. They all have a different feel to them when one cuts with them. When I used to get together with girlfriends for a sewing day, we all had the same type of scissors but I could tell by feel which one was mine.

Does anyone else feel the same way or am I strange?

Woe to anyone in this house who touches my fabric scissors!!! A lesson that has been well learned by all who enter here....

My husband used to work installing the insides of caskets. Got the best scissors from them. He knows the worth of a good pair of scissors so he never touches mine. We can always spot a replacement pair. Poor guy!

Very funny! Poor guy but gave me a good laugh for today.
    I have a piece of ribbon tied to the handle of all my sewing scissors.
    All family members know you don't touch them if they have ribbon on them.
    I also have many other scissors throughout the house.
    Including a large coffee can of scrapbooking and craft scissors for my 5 year old to do his"art" with.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6