Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Panicked, but lucky! >

Panicked, but lucky!

Panicked, but lucky!

Old 12-11-2011, 06:46 AM

when my auto shut off iron died, I bought a new one I thought. Turns out I bought one that turns off "after 30 minutes" not like my old one, after "30 minutes not being moved". AND the way you reset it is to unplug it and plug it back in, which I don't think is super safe, but this post reminds me of the pani when I found my old old iron on overnight!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:10 AM

I am so thankful that all came out well!!! You are very blessed!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 AM

My iron is plugged into the outlet controlled by the light switch that way when I leave the room I turn off the switch -no more iron left on. Now if I could only remember to turn off the sewing machine it would be nice! My machine is in front of the window and the sun makes it impossible to tell machine is on when I take a break!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:29 AM

You're really lucky. I am so afraid that the cats will knock over the iron, I bought one with auto shutoff when I recently replaced my iron.

There are a lot of really good ideas here because I'm pretty lazy about bending down and getting under the ironing board to unplug the iron. Think I'll head down to the basement and get one of those power strips with the off button.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:32 AM
elm

Because I know I can be forgetfull, I always buy an iron that has auto shutoff if the iron isn't used for a while. Wish it would unplug itself also, but at least it's not hot.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:33 AM

I too, have the light on in the room as long as the iron is on. That way everyone in the house knows to check the iron before turning off that light. LOL
It has auto shutoff, but I don't want to leave it plugged in either. I just don't trust electricity!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:37 AM

So glad nothing bad happened. Most new irons shut off automatically. Perhaps it's time for a new one. I leave mine plugged in all the time as it shuts itself off after 20 min. of non-use. I have to practically stand on my head to unplug it so I leave it plugged in all the time. so far, so good.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I have my iron plugged into a power strip with a floor light. I have to pass the ironing board and floor light on my way out of the room. I use the switch on the power strip so I know that my iron is turned off when the light is off.
This is my setup also and it works great. Before these strips I used to leave mine on also and it was scary when I realized what I'd done. I was very fortunate that nothing happened.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:36 AM

I have been purchasing autoshut off irons for that reason...I forget. I buy hair curling irons that shut off automatically, too.l
Old 12-11-2011, 10:50 AM

I got careless about remembering to turn my iron off. My DH bought me one that automatically shuts off. I hate the thing because it turns itself off after about 5 minues. But I don't have to worry about whether I turned it off or not. Love my DH for his protection tho.