Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Panicked, but lucky! >

Panicked, but lucky!

Panicked, but lucky!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:22 PM

Whew!! You really dodged a bullet! I'm always so afraid I'll do something like that. I've left the stove or oven on, but not when I left the house. We all need to be REALLY careful. Glad you're feeling better and that nothing bad happened. Thanks for sharing this with us and reminding us that we can't take our ordinary household appliances for granted.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:15 AM

I bought a little stretchy bracelet that I hang on the handle of the iron. When I turn the iron on, I put the bracelet on my right arm. When I turn it off, I put the bracelet back on the handle. Should I be downstairs and find the bracelet still on my arm, I immediately know that the iron is still on and run up and turn it off and return the bracelet to the iron!
Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 AM

My biggest fear is an iron left on. It's happened to us all. What a scare you must of had! So glad all is well.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:56 AM

Glad you a feeling bettter,you need one that shuts off by its self I too have left mine on thankfully it shuts off Buy a shark
Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 AM

I'm very fortunate that the wall circuit my iron is plugged into is the same as the wall switch. When I leave and turn out the light the iron turns off. But I try my hardest to remeber to turn it off.
MaryKatherine
Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 AM

I used to do this frequently also.Then I read (either here or on another site) about plugging inthe iron to an extention cord along with a small desk lamp;then plugging in the extention cord instead of the iron.When the iron is on so is the lamp.Whenever I was in a rush to leave the sewing room or got distracted and left; I would see the light on and go back in and unplug the extention cord.Works like a dream for me! Hope this can help all who do this as well.
Originally Posted by zkosh View Post
I have been sick for the last two weeks, no voice, bronchitis, cough, etc. Last weekend I sewed for a little while on a lap quilt that I am making for my daughter, hoping to have at least the top together for Christmas. Well, that was a week ago and tonight I came into my sewing room to use the computer and heard a little noise, the kind that the iron makes when you are using it! Yes, you got it, the iron has been on all that time. I am shocked and grateful that nothing happened during this week. It could have been a terrible disaster! I still can't believe that it has been on all this time.

Sooooooooooooooooo, be especially careful when you don't feel well or if you are in a rush. I needed to share this with all you who I know understand. I'm pretty sure I must have a quilting angel watching over me!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by PattyH View Post
I bought a little stretchy bracelet that I hang on the handle of the iron. When I turn the iron on, I put the bracelet on my right arm. When I turn it off, I put the bracelet back on the handle. Should I be downstairs and find the bracelet still on my arm, I immediately know that the iron is still on and run up and turn it off and return the bracelet to the iron!
This is my system also my grandson made me the wood bead bracelet when he was very young and it really helps, there are two actually the macroni one is with my heated hair rollers (after ruining a set by leaving it on)
Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 AM

I think there is a Quilting and Sewing Angel that is always on guard. I volunteer at a historical site in the costume shop and unplugging the iron is of the utmost importance. A fire in the shop would be disastrous. I am sure those angels have had to protect many since the invention of the iron.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:30 AM

The bracelet idea is great. I am going to use that from now on.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:40 AM

Throw that iron out and buy yourself one with an auto shut off...it will be money well spent and give you peace of mind.
I have my auto shut off iron plugged into an outlet that operates the light switch in the room. Its a double safety as I am super observant of lights off all the time.