Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing "Need Help" >

Paper Piecing "Need Help"

Paper Piecing "Need Help"

Old 02-13-2013, 01:00 PM

Default Paper Piecing "Need Help"

How do you turn the fabric when creating inside and outside curves? Inside curves aren't too hard to figure but the outside ones have me stumped. Maybe someone can direct me to a tutorial that would be helpful.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I've never done curves PP. I always cut my two pieces with a template, notch or mark my center point and 1/2 points lay my concave piece ontop of my convex piece, right sides together, pin on my marks and ease the convex piece in with more pins.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...*-t132011.html

Here is a tute on the quilting board but she does it convex on top.

I think it is a preference thing. I don't understand how it can be done via PP.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-13-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 PM

I did a New York Beauty that was paper pieced. If I remember right you had to make little tears in the piece that still has the paper and then the piece you add doesn't have any paper at all.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

If you are trying to do curved piecing by doing paper piecing, I don't know if it can be done. Can you post some pics so we can see what you are trying to do.

Basic curved piecing is easy to do and doesn't really need any stabilizing paper.

If you are sewing a PP curved part of a block and adding the outside and inside background, you would remove the paper before adding the finishing pieces. Here is an example of what I am working on now. Is it similar to what you are trying? The ring of scraps is PP. Then I remove the paper and sew the outside and inside curves to it. Hope this helps.
peace

[ATTACH=CONFIG]394984[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails new-years-hearts-work-2013-003.jpg  
Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

are you trying to do a new york beauty blocks? if so, do a search for new york beauty tutorials- you should be able to find some good tutorials/videos- here & on u-tube. i've always done them with foundations-not papers (i use lightweight muslin) it does seem as if the paper would make curved piecing a little more difficult since paper doesn't stretch-move as easily...but i'm sure it's (do-able) basically- stitch on the stitching lines- then clip along the curve to within a couple threads of the stitching- then press toward the outside.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
..............but i'm sure it's (do-able) basically- stitch on the stitching lines- then clip along the curve to within a couple threads of the stitching- then press toward the outside.
I have done curves PPd.
As CKCowl suggests, I do it the same way as I would without paper, with the lines and pin a gazillion times.

It helps prevents the fabric from stretching. At times I have put the odd nick in the fabric for a little give.
Here's one I did ... the whole block was PPd, then the centre circle appliqued in place .......

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...e-t179420.html