Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paris Texas 1931 Friendship Quilt Top >

Paris Texas 1931 Friendship Quilt Top

Paris Texas 1931 Friendship Quilt Top

Old 01-08-2012, 05:12 AM

What a wonderful thread! achancy......you are such a blessing It's really great to see the history of a quilt and the people that made it.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 AM

my family is from the paris tx area but i dont recognize any of them although if my mom were here or either of my aunts i bet they would. my mom grew up in paris in the 30s.
carla
Old 01-08-2012, 04:38 PM

This is Sandra Upshaw again. (See post #120) I spoke with my mother about your 12 unidentified quilt squares. She told me that Gaine Lou West did indeed homestead on the St. Augustine Plains in New Mexico at the same time my mother's family was living there. Her daughter, Joyce, was my mother's age, and they were friends. The Wests lived about 1.25 mi. east of my grandparent's homestead. The other children were Drew and Wanda Lou. Mr. West was named "Pleas" (pronounced "Plez" and the spelling is unsure). The Wests left the Plains before the other families did, and these quilt pieces were given to them as a remembrance. When the Wests left, they moved to Odessa, TX. Myrtle McNeal was an old maid school teacher who taught my mother for 7 years. I can check on the spelling later, but my mother said that Anna Belle's last name was Rowdon. (I have to contact my uncle for the spelling because Paul Rowdon was his good friend. Paul died within the last two years.) Mother believes that Mrs. J. C. Key's husband's name was John. It's just like the pieces of a puzzle finally coming together with this information.

Originally Posted by walkerjoanne44 View Post
Okay so this is Korrine again, I have some more information but it came to a bit of a dead end. Apparently the squares I have are from my great grandmothers friends. She is not listed on the squares. Here is some information on my grandmother, you might be able to find names by using her as a location reference.

My Grandmas maiden name is Betty Gale Williams born 1946 and she was born in Mena AR. Her mothers maiden name is Gainie Lou West and Gainie's mothers maiden name is Durden. They are going to send me more information but I have no idea where she lived most of her life, it could very well have been in texas. Infact I have an inkling that she did indeed grow up there but I need to find out for sure.

Im not sure how much this will help but I'm interested in finding out more about Anna Belle Rawston (rawthon) and perhaps these are friends from the people who made your quilt or even kin. Still it is all very interesting.

Here are some links to some of the photos of the album squares in my possession I was able to upload from my temper mental phone last night.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...0710203053.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...0710203047.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...7102029521.jpg
Old 01-08-2012, 05:30 PM

What a great story and beautiful quilt.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM

My fathers family was from Paris, Texas in the early 1900's - I was so hoping to see one of their names - but no - I have never been there but would love to visit. Good luck on the search.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:41 PM

This is Sandra Upshaw again. Anna Belle Rawston is "Annabel Rawdon." Her daughter is the Voncielle (now Voncielle Frazier of Scottsdale, AZ) on the list of names on the quilt squares. The difference in the spelling of Anna Belle comes from the obituary of Paul Rawdon. Tom and Annabel Rawdon were living in Stroud, OK. They lived in Arizona, Texas, and New Mexico. They eventually settled east of Datil, NM, on the Rawdon Ranch. The children attended school on the St. Augustine Plains and in Magdalena. In addition to Paul and Voncielle, there were two other sons named Pete and Don.

Originally Posted by SandraJane View Post
This is Sandra Upshaw again. (See post #120) I spoke with my mother about your 12 unidentified quilt squares. She told me that Gaine Lou West did indeed homestead on the St. Augustine Plains in New Mexico at the same time my mother's family was living there. Her daughter, Joyce, was my mother's age, and they were friends. The Wests lived about 1.25 mi. east of my grandparent's homestead. The other children were Drew and Wanda Lou. Mr. West was named "Pleas" (pronounced "Plez" and the spelling is unsure). The Wests left the Plains before the other families did, and these quilt pieces were given to them as a remembrance. When the Wests left, they moved to Odessa, TX. Myrtle McNeal was an old maid school teacher who taught my mother for 7 years. I can check on the spelling later, but my mother said that Anna Belle's last name was Rowdon. (I have to contact my uncle for the spelling because Paul Rowdon was his good friend. Paul died within the last two years.) Mother believes that Mrs. J. C. Key's husband's name was John. It's just like the pieces of a puzzle finally coming together with this information.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:00 PM

I have just read this thread from beginning to end, without stopping. How intriguing! And all the work everyone is putting in to solve this mystery from the past. Honestly, it reads like a novel! Surely, someone will have to turn it into a novel when the mystery is finally solved! This is the most unusual, most riveting thread I've read on this forum, bar none. Don't stop now! I have​ to know how it turns out!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 PM

This is Sandra Upshaw once again. I need to change "St. Augustine Plains" to "the Plains of San Agustin" or "the Plains of San Augustin" of New Mexico.

Originally Posted by SandraJane View Post
This is Sandra Upshaw again. Anna Belle Rawston is "Annabel Rawdon." Her daughter is the Voncielle (now Voncielle Frazier of Scottsdale, AZ) on the list of names on the quilt squares. The difference in the spelling of Anna Belle comes from the obituary of Paul Rawdon. Tom and Annabel Rawdon were living in Stroud, OK. They lived in Arizona, Texas, and New Mexico. They eventually settled east of Datil, NM, on the Rawdon Ranch. The children attended school on the St. Augustine Plains and in Magdalena. In addition to Paul and Voncielle, there were two other sons named Pete and Don.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 PM

very nice!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:25 AM

Hi, I believe her name is Gainie Lou West.