Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paris Texas 1931 Friendship Quilt Top >

Paris Texas 1931 Friendship Quilt Top

Paris Texas 1931 Friendship Quilt Top

Old 07-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Okay so this is Korrine again, I have some more information but it came to a bit of a dead end. Apparently the squares I have are from my great grandmothers friends. She is not listed on the squares. Here is some information on my grandmother, you might be able to find names by using her as a location reference.

My Grandmas maiden name is Betty Gale Williams born 1946 and she was born in Mena AR. Her mothers maiden name is Gainie Lou West and Gainie's mothers maiden name is Durden. They are going to send me more information but I have no idea where she lived most of her life, it could very well have been in texas. Infact I have an inkling that she did indeed grow up there but I need to find out for sure.

Im not sure how much this will help but I'm interested in finding out more about Anna Belle Rawston (rawthon) and perhaps these are friends from the people who made your quilt or even kin. Still it is all very interesting.

Here are some links to some of the photos of the album squares in my possession I was able to upload from my temper mental phone last night.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...0710203053.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...0710203047.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...7102029521.jpg
Old 07-11-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by walkerjoanne44
Okay so this is Korrine again, I have some more information but it came to a bit of a dead end. Apparently the squares I have are from my great grandmothers friends. She is not listed on the squares. Here is some information on my grandmother, you might be able to find names by using her as a location reference.

My Grandmas maiden name is Betty Gale Williams born 1946 and she was born in Mena AR. Her mothers maiden name is Gainie Lou West and Gainie's mothers maiden name is Durden. They are going to send me more information but I have no idea where she lived most of her life, it could very well have been in texas. Infact I have an inkling that she did indeed grow up there but I need to find out for sure.

Im not sure how much this will help but I'm interested in finding out more about Anna Belle Rawston (rawthon) and perhaps these are friends from the people who made your quilt or even kin. Still it is all very interesting.

Here are some links to some of the photos of the album squares in my possession I was able to upload from my temper mental phone last night.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...0710203053.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...0710203047.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...7102029521.jpg
I'm not the one doing the research, and I'm really out of my area of expertise with this... I do hope more is learned about these folks and the connections to present day relatives/descendants,... it's a fascinating journey..
Old 07-11-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaY
Originally Posted by AZTeri
Originally Posted by Donna Hall
Being in Paris, TEXAS, I will print out the names and ask around. Hope you enjoyed your trip to Paris.
I always make a pilgrimage to Paris when I'm back there to visit relatives. The huge fountain in the city square is a favorite spot, too...
My mother was born and raised in Paris, and met my father there. If she were still alive (she died last May), I suspect she would recognize a lot of those names, or her sister might. I may run the list by my father, and see if he recognizes any of the names, but he only lived there for a few years. More likely, my aunt, who now lives in Sulfur Springs, might know some of the names. I can have my father ask her next time he talks to her.

As far as the fountain, one of my favorite pictures is one of my parents in front of the fountain in 1950, the year they got married. On their 50th anniversary, they took a picture at the same spot, in the same poses. I have them in a dual frame.
I would love it if you could post your parents pictures here.. As the big fountain is probably something most visitors to Paris do see. It's a wonderful fountain in the very heart of downtown Paris...
Blessings all........
Here you go. Took me a bit to find them on my computer but I succeeded :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-225054.bmp  
Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Donna Hall
Being in Paris, TEXAS, I will print out the names and ask around. Hope you enjoyed your trip to Paris.
I always make a pilgrimage to Paris when I'm back there to visit relatives. The huge fountain in the city square is a favorite spot, too...
My mother was born and raised in Paris, and met my father there. If she were still alive (she died last May), I suspect she would recognize a lot of those names, or her sister might. I may run the list by my father, and see if he recognizes any of the names, but he only lived there for a few years. More likely, my aunt, who now lives in Sulfur Springs, might know some of the names. I can have my father ask her next time he talks to her.

As far as the fountain, one of my favorite pictures is one of my parents in front of the fountain in 1950, the year they got married. On their 50th anniversary, they took a picture at the same spot, in the same poses. I have them in a dual frame.
I would love it if you could post your parents pictures here.. As the big fountain is probably something most visitors to Paris do see. It's a wonderful fountain in the very heart of downtown Paris...
Blessings all........
Here you go. Took me a bit to find them on my computer but I succeeded :)
That is so sweet. Haven't been to Paris in years. Dh goes regularly as he has t o visit the police department there
Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 PM

Okay so this is Korrine again, I have some more information but it came to a bit of a dead end.

My Grandmas maiden name is Betty Gale Williams born 1946 and she was born in Mena AR.

Im not sure how much this will help but I'm interested in finding out more about Anna Belle Rawston (rawthon) and perhaps these are friends from the people who made our quilt or even kin. Still it is all very interesting.
lol, when you said your grandmother I thought she would be someone who shows up in the 1930 census like Brendas list did, but your grandma is my age. The 1940 census will be released next year and the 1950 in 2022.

Im not finding any of these names, do you know the husbands names and maybe birthdates? its a stab in the dark but was this your grandmothers husband? I say your grandfather but it has a divorce and no kids.

I found
Texas Marriage Collection, 1814-1909 and 1966-2002
about Betty G Williams
Marriage Date: 27 Oct 1973
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1945
Spouse: Joe B Rayson
Spouse Est Birth Year: abt 1945
Spouse Age: 28
Marriage County: Dallas
Marriage State: Texas
Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
What a treasure. Hope you find someone who knows those people. Just a thought, but it may not have originated in Paris, Texas. Maybe someone brought it there from another part of the country. I'm thinking that maybe it was made to celebrate a birthday or anniversary.
Sue
I can't remember just what the seller told me about it, but seem to recall that it was from the Paris, TX area.

I was born in Bogata Texas, and my papa use to take me with him to Paris for Farmer's Market days. I remember that we had hot tamales from a pushcart, and later had fresh figs for a snack. He was a real good papa. He died when I was 5 yrs old...
Are you talking hot tamales stuffed with meat and chili? and wrapped in corn husks? uhmm!! What a wonderful memory for you with your papa, and that quilt is such a memory, I pray you find out who some of these people are. Good Luck
Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 PM

Betty Gale Williams was born in Arkansaw. She is married to Andrew smith Davidson. I believe they got married in Redondo Beach California.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:12 AM

Betty Gale Williams was born in Arkansaw. She is married to Andrew smith Davidson. I believe they got married in Redondo Beach California.

yes, but that doesnt help us much with the quilt, does it? Im sorry I dont seem to be of much help in this quest, maybe when you have more information.

California Marriage Index, 1960-1985
about Betty G Williams Name: Betty G Williams
Est. Birth: abt 1947
Spouse Name: Andrew S Davidson
Spouse Age: 20
Date: 21 Feb 1965
Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 AM

What a very interesting thread. I love this history. I can't wait to see where it all leads. I will be watching for more updates. Great job folks with the geneology. I'm so intrigued.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:23 PM

My name is Sandra Upshaw. I now live in Houston, Texas, having moved from Wichita, Kansas, in 1975. My mother is JonEtta. She was born in 1931 to John and Loree Downing. My grandparents moved from Canyon, Texas, to the St. Augustine Plains in New Mexico to homestead in 1927 or 1928. They later moved to Magdalena, New Mexico, so that my mother could attend highschool. Sometime in the late 1950's or early 1960's John and Loree moved to Socorro, New Mexico. John died there in 1975. My grandmother, Loree, moved to Wichita to be closer to my mother in 1978. She lived there until she died at age 101 on Christmas morning 2001. Earl Murphy is a family name which was also given to my mother's brother who I believe was born in 1935. My uncle still lives in Las Cruces, New Mexico with his family. I have heard my family mention some of the other names on the quilt. I believe they were neighbors of my grandparents. If you would like more information on the family history or other names, my mother would know more. You could contact me for her information. I am so excited to stumble across your posting. I have been conducting some research for information myself. Grandma was quite a quilter, and my sister, Aileen, has done some. What was your great-grandmother's name?

Originally Posted by walkerjoanne44 View Post
This is Korrine, Joanne's Daughter-in-law. My grandmother gave me these quilt top pieces when my whole family moved back to Texas. None of them are quilters so they gave us the squares in hope that we can put it together since my mother in law is a quilter. We are planning to take pictures of the squares tonight for ya'll and I can list the names now.

Fay Guin
Lucile Martin
Jon Etta
Myrtle L. McNeal (McNeel, McNeil)
Voncielle
Ema Lu Ary
Mrs. J. C Key (can tell if ther are initals or a name)
Annie Jones
Anna Belle Rawston (Rawthon)
Earl Murphy
John Downing
Loree Downing

My great-grandmother died in Delrio, TX a few years ago. My grandmother took a few things back with her when they sold the house including these album squares. Id love any help you can get or provide. I emailed my grandmother in hopes that she can give me my great-grandmothers information so I can post that here with the pictures in a bit.