Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Park Model RV for sewing studio? >

Park Model RV for sewing studio?

Park Model RV for sewing studio?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:50 AM

One of my Sisters bought one of those big sheds that look like little houses, wired it, and now has a private place to "Make as big a mess as she wants."
Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 AM

My dream house would be based on a 2-bedroom duplex floor plan, but there would not be a dividing wall between the halves. One side would be the standard home with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen/dining area and living room. The other half would be a relatively open floorplan, so that there would be few walls. I'd have a kitchen, but the cabinets would be tricked out for fabric and craft supply storage, plus there would be a stove for dye-ing, candlemaking and making lotions and potions, and there would be a small refrigerator for snacks. The living room would become my sewing room, with two sewing tables for machines, ironing and cutting areas, bookshelves and a long arm. There would also be space for a small quilt frame for handquilting and a comfy chair and light for reading. One of the bedrooms would be my husband's music room, and the other bedroom would be a computer room / office.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
My dream house would be based on a 2-bedroom duplex floor plan, but there would not be a dividing wall between the halves. One side would be the standard home with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen/dining area and living room. The other half would be a relatively open floorplan, so that there would be few walls. I'd have a kitchen, but the cabinets would be tricked out for fabric and craft supply storage, plus there would be a stove for dye-ing, candlemaking and making lotions and potions, and there would be a small refrigerator for snacks. The living room would become my sewing room, with two sewing tables for machines, ironing and cutting areas, bookshelves and a long arm. There would also be space for a small quilt frame for handquilting and a comfy chair and light for reading. One of the bedrooms would be my husband's music room, and the other bedroom would be a computer room / office.
sounds just right
Old 04-16-2014, 12:05 PM

Yours is a dream that can become a reality; just keep on keepin' on. It'll be here before you know it. Sounds lovely, and you'll enjoy it to the max, like I do mine.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I wouldn't like a separate sewing room. Would want to be in my house, I always need to do something not associated with sewing.

I agree. But a separate space could be fun. My dream house would be the one with the studio built over the attached garage with stair access from the kitchen. I have walked through model homes with this set up and fell in love. Alas, another "dream". I just thought that the Park Models were cute.

my sewing area is upstairs in a farmhouse. While roomy...(13 x 17) the pitched ceiling gets old at times. No vertical storage options besides one bookcase on one end wall. I would love a couple of large windows too. But I am fortunate to have my space to play in.
Sandy
Old 04-17-2014, 05:44 AM

I have always told my husband I want a caboose. He is very handy and could totally remodel the inside, but he said it would cost "thousands" getting it on our country lot : (
Old 04-17-2014, 07:53 AM

My husband and I are planning to be snowbirds when he retires very soon, living in our motorhome in WI during the summer. We have checked into the possibility of putting a small travel trailer on the lot as well for my "sewing room". It will be gutted of the furniture, beds, etc but we'll keep the bathroom (one can always use a second bathroom) and possibly the kitchen. If I had the room for a park model, I'd do it!! I'm lucky I have a husband who is proactive when it comes to sewing space!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 AM

The only change to my sewing set-up now would be no stairs! I have made my daughter's old room into my sewing room with a daybed to stack stuff on, I use the trundle underneath to store bat and backing (no mattress!), have a tall shelf for magazines, books and clear boxes of smaller scrapes, plus a glass fronted armoir for more fabric. I have my sewing table on one wall next to a large desk where I can rest large quilts as I sew. And in the middle is an old drafting board that I cut at--wish it was little larger, but love the height with no bending. Across the hall is my son's old room, now the guest room, where I use the queen size bed as my "design wall". I also have bathroom upstairs.

Then in the basement is the long arm with a great window in front of it, the stereo (I have to have music to long arm and usually choose something that reminds me of the quilt), shelfing, both open with some baskets for those small items, and closed for patterns, etc. An old kitchen table where I can lay out stuff, work with customers, or use as the side table if I'm working on the industrial upholstery machine (not often--it's like lifting weights it's so heavy duty!). I also have the dining room table covered with padding to use as an ironing board for quilt backs. And in between is the living space and where my husband usually spends his time writing! Works great--except my knees would like a lift!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:01 PM

It's not a park model, but a travel trailer -- and we bought it last year (new) so I have a sewing room when we travel. It's 40' long, front bedroom, then the LR-kitchen area with two slides, even have an island where the kitchen sink sits. And then there's the back bedroom. On the outside, under one bunk there is an outside kitchen (perfect for the man of my life, his pop and snacks -- even has a grill and fridge. He doesn't have to bother me for anything!) One the inside, that bunk is a 3/4 size bed. The other side is the third slide which had two bunks -- note I said "had" -- out they went and in went my sewing room. There is plenty of storage, since there were 3 beds in there, a dresser, a 3 door closet and a cupboard. The slide pops out leaving a great space for sewing. Sorry, not long enough for a long-arm, but it does well for making the tops, or using it for playing cards (not). Did I mention that the wall between the living space and "my" space is the location of the TV -- which can be turned to either room. Under the TV in the living area is an electric fireplace. And the slide has a skylight. Someone looked at it and asked me where the washer and dryer were located. Didn't know how to reply politely. Certainly wasn't on my priority list!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:36 PM

I don't have a park model, but want to comment about having a separate "shop/studio". My studio is an old lean-to behind the garage. It's only steps from our back deck. I love it and hate it! No bathroom....but it gives me an excuse to come into the house and see the hubby. I have a radiator space heater and a small $149.00 window a/c. it's VERY comfortable in it! DH gutted the lean-to (not hard to do) and insulated and fixed it up for me. Added windows and a door with 15 large bevels window panes. The studio is actually my longarm shop. I hate it when I have to walk thru snow to get to it........well, hate is a strong word....I have accepted we live where there is snow. I can turn on my radio to country/western (husband hates it) and play as loud as I want. I don't have ANY problem really with it being out of the house......my longarm doesn't bother anyone else. Now....I'm not sure I'd like to have my sewing room out there! I get up in the middle of the night and will sew.......would NOT walk out to the shop after dark.....nope.....we live in the country -- there's bears out there!