Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern for "concealed carry" purse needed >

Pattern for "concealed carry" purse needed

Pattern for "concealed carry" purse needed

Old 03-19-2011, 05:58 PM

Uniform fabrics are strong enough for carry purses. Recycled or purchased by the yard. There are a wide variety of solids and prints available. Including prints as goofy as Lozenge camouflage.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stacey
Originally Posted by pattypurple
Originally Posted by cdufur
Does anyone know where I can get a pattern to make a "concealed carry" purse? There was a lady at the Dallas quilt show last year that was making them, but I lost her email address.
This is a pattern of my own design that my friend laughingly calls my concealed carry purse. The pocket goes clear to the bottom of the front panel and all the way across. I drew a gentle curve for the pockets. They are a little hard to see but the pocket openings have piping around them. I think this could be adapted to most purse patterns

Pat
How big is this? And do you have the pattern?
I'll try to get the info on the pattern for you tomorrow. I made the original pattern bigger.

Pat
Old 03-19-2011, 07:36 PM

Pat, I would really appreciate the pattern. To those that have asked, no, I haven't found a pattern yet. I did buy a purse at the Dallas quilt show last weekend from the lady with Calico Junction. I've been trying to figure out how to take a regular purse pattern and adapt it for a carry purse. Pat, I am looking forward to seeing what you have come up with. I like what I see!! :thumbup:
Old 03-20-2011, 06:21 AM

Pat, I would really appreciate the pattern. To those that have asked, no, I haven't found a pattern yet. I did buy a purse at the Dallas quilt show last weekend from the lady with Calico Junction. I've been trying to figure out how to take a regular purse pattern and adapt it for a carry purse. Pat, I am looking forward to seeing what you have come up with. I like what I see!! :thumbup:
OK, here is what I started with. Maddie's Bag #SC-13 by Sewphisti-Cat. The original pattern is 15"W X 12" H X 3.5" D. The original is sewn all the way to the top so there is a narrow opening to get into the bag and there is one strap. The pockets are in the seam "pants pockets".
My adaptations are adding 3" to both height and width, leaving the top piece open (I put piping around the top area and added a magnetic snap). For the front pocket I made 2 pieces the size of the front pattern up to the yoke. I put thin batting under the outer piece and quilted then decided on the curve I wanted for the pockets. I added piping around the pocket curves. Then I put the pocket lining on and basted the pocket to the front of the purse. After that I followed the pattern for construction, except I used 2 straps.
The way I left the sides of the yoke open it all folds back for a much bigger opening to access the interior of the bag. The pocket is one big area that goes to the bottom seam and to the side seams.
Hope this makes sense since I "just do it" when constructing bags. I rarely make 2 bags the same way.

Pat
Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Banned

Please add me to the list for a pattern!!
DH bought me a leather CC bag and it is sooo stiff and bulky!
I don't dare tell me I don't want to carry it!!

Does anyone know where I can get a pattern to make a "concealed carry" purse? There was a lady at the Dallas quilt show last year that was making them, but I lost her email address.
This is a pattern of my own design that my friend laughingly calls my concealed carry purse. The pocket goes clear to the bottom of the front panel and all the way across. I drew a gentle curve for the pockets. They are a little hard to see but the pocket openings have piping around them. I think this could be adapted to most purse patterns

Pat
How big is this? And do you have the pattern?
I'll try to get the info on the pattern for you tomorrow. I made the original pattern bigger.

Pat

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-18-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:18 PM

Thank you very much Patty Purple. I have some upholstery fabric I may use.( I also may bug you if this doesn't work right.)
Old 03-20-2011, 01:51 PM

Thank you very much Patty Purple. I have some upholstery fabric I may use.( I also may bug you if this doesn't work right.)
no problem. Just a thought, if you use the upholstery fabric you might want to use something lighter for the front panel of the purse (under the pocket).

Pat
Old 03-20-2011, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the head up. I think I have already talked myself out of the upholstery fabric, though.( I'll still bug you if it doesn't go right.)
Old 03-20-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks Pat!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 PM

I think it would be cool to have a pattern on this! If Illinois would ever get concealed carry! Perhaps I may move then I may like the pattern! :)