Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern Ideas, Anyone? >

Pattern Ideas, Anyone?

Pattern Ideas, Anyone?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 PM

I picked up a bunch of fabric today to make a quilt and curtains for a vintage travel trailer. I saw an example yesterday on some website or emailing or somewhere that gave me the idea and now I have no idea where it was or what pattern they used for the quillt. So turning to the one place that I know will be able to help me.

I bought about ten yards of "cool"-colored fabrics (whites, grays, blues, lime greens, etc) in various mostly large prints. A couple of darker values for accents. I want to do something with them that is really light and airy and will quilt it pretty loosely with a fluffier batting (maybe Polydown?). Don't want a really structured placement of fabrics.

Idea's anyone? Maybe a D9P starting with larger than usual blocks? Pictures would be so useful but I don't really know where to start with a search on this site. I guess that I'm thinking of something from the "modern" quilting movement.
Simple is good but not so sure about wonky blocks.

I would also welcome any advice about the batting I should use. Will probably rent the longarm at our LQS and my even try my hand a a large pato. I have only done meandering on it to date.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Banned

You could always try the turning twenty pattern? Quick..easy big blocks.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:22 PM

What about doing Courthouse Steps - a form of Log Cabin - with darker colors below and lighter colors on the sides and above?
The result would look like pyramids and would fit in with the vintage travel trailer theme. I've seen it used as a very effective border treatment or block.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by VickyS
What about doing Courthouse Steps - a form of Log Cabin - with darker colors below and lighter colors on the sides and above?
The result would look like pyramids and would fit in with the vintage travel trailer theme. I've seen it used as a very effective border treatment or block.
I love Courthouse steps! And it is so fast and easy. My only concern is that I would lose a little too much of the large print. That may not be a problem--have you ever seen one made with fairly thick strips for the "steps" and how did it look?
Thanks for your answer.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
You could always try the turning twenty pattern? Quick..easy big blocks.
Thanks for the suggestion. Turns out that there was a very similar request to mine yesterday and I saw that Turning Twenty was recommened a bunch for her.

I have really admired your quilting since I have joined the board and that's is where I got the idea of using Polydown. I always use Quilter's Dream Select or Request but want a lighter, fluffier quilt this time. Does the polydown do well with both loose quilting and heavy quilting on the same quilt. I also never pre-wash my fabric--would a quilt done with the polydown do well after washing if fabric is not prewashed? I was considering trying a panto, but may actually get the courage to just free-motion patterns on the LA.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:28 PM

I have used Jelly roll size (2 1/2") with good results, but I know of no reason why you can't make the squares larger and the strips thicker.

How big do you want to make the quilt and curtains and how many blocks do you wish to make? That's the determining factor.

I've made a 1" quilt square into a 100" king size quilt when I wanted to have a "Flaming Star" king size quilt (lone star pattern in multiple colors). Essentially the larger the block, the larger the pieces can be. Why not decide on the size you want and work the pattern backwards to see if that is what you wish to do?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by VickyS
I have used Jelly roll size (2 1/2") with good results, but I know of no reason why you can't make the squares larger and the strips thicker.

How big do you want to make the quilt and curtains and how many blocks do you wish to make? That's the determining factor.

I've made a 1" quilt square into a 100" king size quilt when I wanted to have a "Flaming Star" king size quilt (lone star pattern in multiple colors). Essentially the larger the block, the larger the pieces can be. Why not decide on the size you want and work the pattern backwards to see if that is what you wish to do?
That is a very good idea. I don't mind that the large prints will be cut up but I don't want to completely lose the patterns. Maybe making some "windows" shaped in strips, rectangles and squares of various sizes to view the various fabrics through
will help me come to a decision on what pattern to do.

I spent the afternoon trying to make my brain explode working a rectangular quilt with the blocks set on point. Something simple sounds refreshing.

Your suggestions are appreciated!