Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern sharing >

Pattern sharing

Pattern sharing

Old 03-16-2014, 05:39 PM

I unfortunately made an exception and loaned out my first quilting book where I had made many notations to a woman who wanted me to make a quilt for her. Needless to say, it was never returned. I've purchased another book, but I do miss the notes I had made. Never again.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
I just returned from an out of town retreat that I attend twice a year. There is a woman that always attends. I do not know her other than attending the same retreat. Twice now, she has asked if she could borrow two different patterns. I made an excuse and put her off without wanting to hurt her feelings. She also asked my friend if she could borrow a book that she had at the last retreat. I also over-heard her ask someone else if she could borrow her book. At the last retreat she even asked the store owner if she could borrow her copier to copy the pattern I would not let her take. What is everyone's take on loaning books and patterns? I do not borrow patterns, as I do not want the responsibility of returning them.. I will write down the name and author and buy my own. I am reluctant to loan out books and patterns. I don't think it is right to copy patterns and books as people are trying to make money on them. I have had other people ask me for patterns. I have tried to offer the name and author, but some people act like they should be able to get things for free. I do loan patterns to good friends and sisters, as I know I can get them back. How do others handle this situation?
I think I'd tell her to drag her cell phone out and take a picture then transfer the design to graph paper when she gets home. Keep a bit of graph paper in your retreat stuff and give her a piece to practice on. Put the work on her.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:10 PM

I forgot to mention the shop owner did not let her make a copy and reminded her of the copyright laws and people trying to make a living by selling patterns. I like the idea of telling her or anyone that it is just too hard to monitor where it is.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:29 PM

Wow, I can't believe how everyone is calling her cheap. Perhaps she may be going through a tough time and quilting is a way for her to relieve her stress. Of course I don't know this woman and cannot say for sure what is going on, but I don't believe anyone here knows her either. If you don't want to loan something to her, just say so and that's the end of it.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
Wow, I can't believe how everyone is calling her cheap.
Does one poster qualify as everyone?
Old 03-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

She's cheap in manners. There are all kinds of cheap.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:01 PM

I do lend books and patterns, I but my address sticker on them so they are reminded where it came from. I also tell them there is a time limit, so if they are not inclined to make it right away, they can borrow it when they are ready. I have not been burned yet.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If she can afford to come to the retreat, then she can afford to buy her supplies like everyone else. I will not copy patterns but will lend a pattern or book to a close personal friend. Someone I won't mind reminding I need it back.
Ditto!!!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:53 PM

I gave one of my friends a book to borrow to look up fabric amounts for queen and king size quilts in a pattern . I was only showing. A smaller size method not from this book. She went and had a shop photocopy and said she had done 20 pages I was furious and she knew it. I told her she could copy the title author isbn and that was all. I thought she would just write down fabric amounts in her note book.
Never again. Other people just take the title etc and where did I get it and frequently purchase their own, the way it should be.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:10 AM

I once loaned a pattern book to someone at a guild meeting and I looked over and she was writing in it. I went ballistic. I have never written in any book and certainly do no expect anyone else to write in one that does not belong to them. Needless to say, she was offended, but I did not care, it was my book and I was doing her a favor, fortunately, most of it could be erased.

I was informed that she always writes in book. Perhaps, but not in MY BOOKS.