Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern sharing >

Pattern sharing

Pattern sharing

Old 03-17-2014, 03:23 AM

I guess I see this different, but If I have something someone wants I am usually very eager to share. That is the way my momma said it should be. It maybe that someone may have a pattern I havent seen or cant get in my area and I would hope they would share with me. But That is just the way I think. Sharing a love of something brings happiness to me and you.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I once loaned a pattern book to someone at a guild meeting and I looked over and she was writing in it. I went ballistic. I have never written in any book and certainly do no expect anyone else to write in one that does not belong to them. Needless to say, she was offended, but I did not care, it was my book and I was doing her a favor, fortunately, most of it could be erased.

I was informed that she always writes in book. Perhaps, but not in MY BOOKS.
I can't imagine how she would not realize that it would be WRONG to write in a book someone had loaned her! Unbelievable!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:08 AM

I haven't been quilting long enough to run into this with quilting books, but I think it's the same as other craft books with patterns.

I will happily lend a book to a trustworthy friend, as long as they agree not to copy it. This is the same as a public library- one person is using the book at a time.

I will not photo copy patterns for other people. As well as violating copyright laws, it's unethical. You are stealing someone's work: they created it and published it and are selling it. By making copies and sharing them, you are taking away sales.

I understand what it's like to see beautiful books with patterns I love that I simply can't afford, but stealing is stealing. Instead, I'll see if my public library system has the book (they have a decent collection of quilting books in the system, but not individual libraries) and if they don't have it I'll look for a used copy of the book. With the internet, for most in print books it's doable but might take a few weeks.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:08 AM

I am very uncomfortable with copyright violations (copying patterns) and would not cooperate with her. Once at our quilt guild meeting, the woman seated next to me asked to see my notebook of patterns I've taken out of magazines of mine (a bucket list, sort of, and easier than searching through stacks of magazines). She looked through it, then took a pattern out of it's plastic sleeve, took it to the office and copied it before giving me back my notebook. I was very uncomfortable, but didn't say anything to her. I think money is very tight for her, and she sees nothing wrong with what she did. I'm just careful now of what I bring around her.
I prefer to not borrow or loan. I made a mistake of loaning several books and patterns to someone I trusted would return my things, and found out I was wrong. No more.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:27 AM

I don't consider myself as being cheap because if I see a pattern or a kit I really want I buy but I prefer to have sewing time with friends on a sharing basis so this is why I use the free and traditional patterns and there are so many of them they can keep us busy forever we are doing one at seniors now every Wed. and it is so fun to watch our quilts coming together and how different with just the change of colors ---I also prefer magazines over books as so many times only one pattern in a book to use guess we all have our ways of doing things but I consider myself as a sharing person and I do not believe in copying a pattern to sell that is against the law but to share and ose in a quilting group I see no harm in it
Old 03-17-2014, 04:40 AM

Tactfully tell her there are other things in the book that you want to make so You can't loan it. Then give her the title, author's name, and ISBN and tell her to go to her local library and borrow a copy there. I would do the same with a pattern telling her you may want to use it again and want to keep it handy. Give her the info needed to order her own copy. I have been burned by loaning things and I do not do it any more, except for my daughters.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:02 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by kymawmaw View Post
I guess I see this different, but If I have something someone wants I am usually very eager to share. That is the way my momma said it should be. It maybe that someone may have a pattern I havent seen or cant get in my area and I would hope they would share with me. But That is just the way I think. Sharing a love of something brings happiness to me and you.

I dont mind sharing with friends... What they do with it is up to them... Im not judging them, not my job nor do i have the want or desire to judge them.. All i ask is my book returned the same way it was lent... We have our group members 'share' books all the time.. sometimes we make an hour meeting over books and share details of how we made it and what to look for, corrections, change of colorways and the like..

I do not write in my books, but i like to make notes.. So i will make a copy, make my notes, jot my ideas, scratch off the publishers oopsies and make the corrections if there were any.. Mostly it was to highlight, jot fabric A, B, C and tape a snippit of fabric to it so if I had to put away id have all the info.. So in a year from now im not scratching my head wondering what my plan was at the time.. Or better yet, if Cant find my book !!!!

Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 03-17-2014 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

If I can't afford to purchase the pattern then I look for something similar. There are zillions of patterns on the internet. I've never borrowed a pattern or a book(other than the library). I have asked to look at the book and write a tip down but only if the book is right there. I figure if I want the book or pattern bad enough I'll order it myself and it will always be on hand. So many free downloads in cyberspace! I take photos of different patterns I like, send to my email with a message where to get the pattern. Works for me!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:13 AM

"NO" is a complete sentence to me.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:18 AM

I used to take lots of classes and the pattern was part of the class. I don't mind sharing some things but if someone keeps asking for the pattern and you are the one paying for the class, pattern or book, she is just using you so she can save some money. Maybe you should bring to her attention how much the book or the pattern cost. Sticky situation, but if you don't know her very well maybe you should just let her know you don't share well. I don't think you want that type of person for a friend any o way.