Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns from Magazines >

Patterns from Magazines

Patterns from Magazines

Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
LOL, wonder how much you could make from a $5 magazine if taken apart page by page.

Hohoho I had just the same thought. I don't know how much a quilting mag costs, but if it is $10 and there are 10 patterns written up in it and you sell each one for $10 by cutting the pattern out of the mag, then cheerio to you, you just made $90! Sell them for $5 then you made $40.
Of course you have to go to all the trouble of cutting them up and listing them on Ebay. So maybe deduct whatever you think your time is worth from the gross profit, and however much the mailing is, unless of course you charge postal.

No different than selling the whole magazine, the way people do at yard sales hawking old National Geographics.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:35 AM

They will continue to sell them so let's not fret about it and get to more important things like quilting.............IMHO
Old 11-22-2013, 11:48 AM

I don't see how this is any different from selling ANYTHING second hand. You buy a jacket, you wear it, decide you don't want it anymore, you sell it. You buy a coffee maker, decide you want a different brand, you sell it. You wouldn't say that person doesn't have the right to sell the item, and only the original manufacturer has the right to sell it. Someone PAID for the magazine with the pattern, if they decide they don't like it after all, or have used it once and don't want to use it again
(just like a coffee maker), then why shouldn't they sell it to someone who CAN use it? There are many on this board who buy patterns from each other, just check the "in search of" section-is that any different? As long as it isn't violating laws, I don't have a problem with it. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have an entirely different opinion - (but that is all it is, opinion). As long as the original magazine pages are sold, I think it is entirely legal and there's nothing at all dishonest or underhanded about it. The person who owns the magazine has a right to sell it - or parts of it - to anyone else. You also have the right to sell any pattern that you own, whether or not you have used that pattern already, as long as you don't make copies of the pattern, either to sell or to keep. As for the designer being paid, he/she was paid by the magazine. Personal use means that the design can't be used for commercial purposes. In the past I have heard that eBay has stopped sales where copies of magazines were being sold, but they are okay with the original pages being sold.
THANKS Dunster. I BUY the patterns from a seller on eBay (PM me-will tell you her username)and she sends the pattern pages enclose in a sheet protector. I have been buying from her for at least a couple of years. I just bought $12.00 worth of patterns and she ships for free. No copies, they are the actually pages from the magazines. You even get the ads in between the pages of the pattern. I think that selling pages from a magazine is just the same as selling fabric that you have purchased. I don't drive anymore and half the time these magazines are packaged in bags so you can't see if there are any pattern that I would want in the FIRST place. Thanks for posting this thread.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
this is an interesting topic.
At first i thought I don't think I would tear out a pattern and sell it, but I buy used books online.
What is the difference if I buy a used book from someone else, or if someone buys my used quilting magazines?
I wouldn't sell them for a "new" price.
actually, I won't be selling my quilting magazines at all, LOL, but just saying...
If the seller is asking a reasonable price and the viewer wants it, and the author was paid, I don't think anyone is getting hurt.
Having said that, I am not personally going to "gut" magazines to make more overall than I paid for the magazine in whole. It's not wrong to make a profit, but I can't bear to think of tearing a perfectly good magazine up like that.
That's exactly why I said it was "tacky". It destroys the magazine. OK, so it's "just" a magazine but I still hate seeing things destroyed.

BTW, I also think there's a difference in destroying and re-purposing. Ripping out the pages is destruction. Turning an old RD into a Christmas tree is re-purposing.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:46 PM

People sell used magazines with the patterns in them. I give mine away and will give away any pattern in them but I would never sell the patterns.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
LOL, wonder how much you could make from a $5 magazine if taken apart page by page.

from CRO
My question was not about a pattern from a magazine!!!

Sorry, I asked a seemingly related question. Still.......................
Old 11-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by trolleystation View Post
They will continue to sell them so let's not fret about it and get to more important things like quilting.............IMHO

Hey, Fretting is my pasttime. So is asking questions. I guess I struck out twice!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
That's exactly why I said it was "tacky". It destroys the magazine. OK, so it's "just" a magazine but I still hate seeing things destroyed.

BTW, I also think there's a difference in destroying and re-purposing. Ripping out the pages is destruction. Turning an old RD into a Christmas tree is re-purposing.
I will tear out pages for a pattern (or recipe) for my own use. Makes it easier to collect patterns.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have an entirely different opinion - (but that is all it is, opinion). As long as the original magazine pages are sold, I think it is entirely legal and there's nothing at all dishonest or underhanded about it. The person who owns the magazine has a right to sell it - or parts of it - to anyone else. You also have the right to sell any pattern that you own, whether or not you have used that pattern already, as long as you don't make copies of the pattern, either to sell or to keep. As for the designer being paid, he/she was paid by the magazine. Personal use means that the design can't be used for commercial purposes. In the past I have heard that eBay has stopped sales where copies of magazines were being sold, but they are okay with the original pages being sold.
I agree with you dunster, this is no different from having a gargage or yard sale and selling your unwanted magazines or quilt books.