Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
patterns in magazines >

patterns in magazines

patterns in magazines

Old 05-22-2014, 11:03 AM

I have made quilts labelled "intermediate" that I thought were easier than some quilts that were marked "easy". The intermediate ones were just a bit fussier and time consuming, not more difficult. That sometimes makes it hard to figure out which is easier and which is not. What I will do is make a "Practice block" or blocks, if there is more than one type, from the project, and decide from there if that is something I want to do. Saves a lot of "UFO's!"
Old 05-22-2014, 12:13 PM

I think that once you've done a few quilts, you can look at the photo and see what units are used, how much matching of seams, points - then you can determine if it is a good match for your skill level. I now find myself passing by those that I think are too easy for me - I like a little bit of a challenge these days.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:32 PM

i recently completed a freebie pattern marked "confident beginner" from the robert kaufman website.

the directions were not at all well written and if you were a quilter with two or three quilts under your belt, you might find them very confusing. it also has a number of matched seams cut on the bias that were pretty tricky.

i did a variation of a pinwheel quilt from a mcall's magazine that was rated intermediate (i think) and upon completion i would definitely have rated it advanced.

i think it comes down to individual skill and experience, but anything with angles, tricky seam matching, bias cuts suggest at least intermediate to me.

aileen
Old 05-23-2014, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

I agree with many of the posters. There is a difference in the term easy when you are just beginning and "easy" when you have been quilting for a few years. Just keep trying.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:22 AM

I think it depends on the individual. Tons of matched seams are no problem for me but I struggle with quilts that are set on point for some reason. As you go, you will discover what you are best at and where you struggle. That being said, don't avoid the hard stuff, you will be very proud when you finish those quilts.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:35 AM

Beginners should start with an Eleanor Burns pattern. She is the best for detail and simple designs.
She has lots of videos on her website Quilt In A Day.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:02 AM

I have not done a pattern from magazine yet but hen I do, I'm going to follow MainiacQuilter advice about making a test block.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:36 AM

I've known several quilters who kept a stash of coordinated fabric that they used solely to make a sample block of any new pattern they thought they might like. If it worked as they wanted, they went on to make the full quilt of whatever fabrics they wanted. The sample blocks went into a separate box until they had enough blocks to make a sampler quilt. If they weren't pleased with the end result, the quilt could be donated or given to someone who did like it. Joyce in Delaware
Old 05-23-2014, 06:44 AM

EASY is a term that will be different from magazine to magazine, just as it is from quilter to quilter. When I learned to sew, it was from someone who NEVER used a pattern. She would look over what ever it was (could be in a store), then go home and make up her own pattern and put it together. Thus - I never learned to read a pattern (still can't), so I will sometimes use a pattern for cutting. But never sewing, I always put it together the way I think it should go and 99% of the time it looks the same. So I have made quilts that others thought would be so very HARD, and I done quilts that others have said are EASY (and I thought I would pull my hair out). If you find something that you want to give a try, do a demo block. You can use scraps or muslin and if you like the way it goes together, then do the real thing. If not you have an ORPHAN block for your orphan block bag (to be used late). Good Luck
Old 05-23-2014, 07:36 AM

I am finding, as time goes by, and I finish more quilts, that "easy" really is relative. I don't even go there for one labeled (spell) more than "intermediate", but I don't care at all for curvey designs. One of my first quilting classes included a vining flower design that you had to hand stitch in place. It took me forever to finish that quilt, and I never was happy with it. I can't handle that much stress and aggravation anymore. I just go where I am comfortable, and I can do that, because I am old, with GGKs, if that tells you anything. They love whatever I do for them, because they can say "Grannie made me this quilt".....color is what matters to them.

I have started doing what some of you seem to be doing, if I see a design that I really like, I will make up a sample block and put it on my design wall and look at it until the picture of a completed quilt forms in my mind. And have run off several pictures of quilts done by some of you on the board here with different gifts or projects in mind as we head toward Christmas here.