Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paying for the quilting >

Paying for the quilting

Paying for the quilting

Old 12-12-2011, 05:32 AM

I would also suggest some classes I quilt all of my own on my Bernina and I use the quilt as you go method
so depending on the quilt how large the sections are that I quilt then put together it takes some time but is very rewarding in the end to realize that I did it all there is also a good book out there she might find on eBay or Amazon called a Fine Finish by Cody Mazoran sure taught me how to do the bindings it is all a learning process does take time but she will get there
Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter View Post
Believe me, if this was to be your wife's first attempt at machine quilting, especially a queen size, the number of quarters she would have put into the cuss jar would have been plenty to pay someone else to quilt her top, not to mention the stress she would have taken out on you, and that all the do-overs might have ruined parts of the top she did such a nice job on. She might never make another one.

When we pay someone else to quilt a top, we must remember that, like any independent business person we are not paying only for the hours for that service, but for their overhead -- they had to buy the machine, supply the space to set it up, pay for lights, heat, taxes, insurance (health and homeowners), maybe Social Security, etc. At this point, $170 looks like a bargain to me.

I have to agree; machine quilting on a domestic machine is no easy task! It took me a couple of YEARS of practice before I felt like I was good enough to do a large quilt. When you consider all that is involved: a day or two of work, 10's of thousands of dollars investment in equipment, not to mention space, and years of practice, long arm quilting by an experienced professional is BARGAIN at any price!

Your wife may or may not even WANT to learn to machine quilt herself, but if she does, a queen sized quilt is not the piece to 'learn' on. Like others have said, if she's interested, she should look into some machine quilting classes at a LQS. Personally, I love to machine quilt and enjoy the process all the way through. Even though I do my own quilting, it is not cheap; in the past few years I've invested a few thousand dollars in machines and equipment. For me, that is the cost of my hobby and all the pleasure I get from it. If your wife does decide to do her own quilting, you may not be saving any money in the long run anyway.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:46 AM

I have been sending my quilts out to get quilted and have been really happy with the results. I don't want to ruin a top that I have put hours of work into and the cost is reasonable compared to purchasing a long arm set up. Yes, someday I will want to quilt my own, but will start with something small to get my feet wet. Trying to quilt a queen quilt as a first project would be too difficult.

I usually do the binding myself after my quilter is done. I don't mind that at all.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 AM

I can't afford to send mine out but I've heard of prices like this. If there was a chance the price would need to be adjusted it should of been disclosed in advance. If they knew in advance they'd be doing the binding it should of been included in the price given. Alot of people do thier own on a regular machine. It is easier if you have a larger throat machine but not necessary. I'm sending you a link for a great site that has videos on doing it on a reqular machine that might help your wife out learning to do it. You can also google machine quilting and there are lots of tutorials on youtube that will also help you out. The link I'm sending you has lots of videos and even sell cd's to help you learn.
http://www.daystyledesigns.com
Old 12-12-2011, 06:03 AM

All the notes you have received are good. If you want someone to quilt it itwill cot and remember they deserve a decent amount for the service. It takes time, patience, thread, and the ability to make the patterns over and over and have it look good. If she is doing it for a hobby the classes are a great idea---yes it is challenging to do it on your home machine but really satisfying. Maybe she should learn how to hand quilt--will keep her busy for a long time. Many different aspects to quilting beyond piecing, appoliquing the top. Have a great time.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:03 AM

Quilting by hand is pretty cheap and easy to learn.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:07 AM

I quilt small quilts myself. Large quilts I send out. The average cost is one and a half cents per inch. You can hand bind it yourself when you get it back. There are several people on this board that you can send them to also. If the quilting is very detailed, it will cost more.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:08 AM

I enjoy making quilt tops but not quilting. What do I do??? I finish the top, fold it up and put it in the closet along with many others I finished. I did what I enjoy which is put them together. When I die someone else can do whatever, have them quilted, throw them away, who cares. Like I said, I enjoy making the tops.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:19 AM

I have not read all of the responses here but I know a lot of options have been offered. Here's my take. Since I am not a skilled free motion quilter at this point, if I were to make a quilt top that I wanted to be really special and really well done, I would send it out - especially if it were a large one.

It is possible that your wife will decide to make more quilts and smaller ones that lend themselves to a stitch in the ditch (SID) method that is much easier to do on a domestic sewing machine (DSM). Also, smaller quilts and projects might give her the opportunity to practice her free motion quilting (FMQ) in a less challenging arena.

Everyone winds up having their own preferences. I make a lot of charity quilts and I usually do SID on them with a little FMQ in the borders. That's for now. I hope to improve over time so that I can do larger and more challenging projects.

But, as several have mentioned, prices vary by your location and it would probably be advisable for your wife to find some quilt classes or a quilt guild where she can get some additional guidance.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:21 AM

I am a longarmer and the price isn't bad at all! Here's some pricing examples:
Quilting a basic meandering quilting can cost as little as $.01 per square inch (a 100 x 100 quilt would be $100.00)
And fancier design, more denser design or a custom FANCY design can cost up to $.05 per square inch (same size quilt would be $500.00)
Add the cost of thread ---- some longarmers charge a flat $8.00 per color..........some longarmers charge PER bobbin!
Adding a binding --- can cost up to $.20 per LINIER inch............hand sewing the binding on costs more.
Any special needs, such as ironing costs more.

Remember, the quilter is WORKING...you wouldn't expect a business to not charge somehow for the expense of stocking the shelves.

My concern with your question is ---- the quilter SHOULD have made the price understood BEFORE she started quilting it. Your wife and you SHOULD have known how much it would cost and not be surprised when picking it up.

Your question -- can you quilt a quilt on a home machine..........yes. BUT, I can't on my sewing machine because it's too small. the neck of the machine to do a queen size quilt should be a larger one. I also can't quilt on my home machine --------I lack the ability to DO it!!! I have a longarm (like the others are talking about).....the quilt stays rolled on rollers and doesn't move, I move the machine. On a home sewing machine, the machine stays steady and you move the quilt -- ARRRGH! I tried forever and couldn't do it!!!!

Last edited by amandasgramma; 12-12-2011 at 06:23 AM.