Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paying for the quilting >

Paying for the quilting

Paying for the quilting

Old 12-12-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
I, too, had wondered about reasonable prices for long arm quilting. Thanks to everyone who replied!
for me? 1.5--3 cents a square inch, all custom work, no pantographs and binding is $9/yd (machine on side 1 and then hand sewn on side 2)... you pay mailing to me, i pay to mail it to you.

the batting is provided for your convenience, but i charge the same thing i pay and i provide the thread unless it is variegated, which is really expensive. i will either weigh and charge for only what i use, or buy the cone you want and send it back with the quilt.

you send a completed and ironed quilt top along with backing that is 6 inches longer and wider than the top are provided by the quilter. it is trimmed or not trimmed according to request and cost no more or less.

I also charge 35 dollars flat to baste a quilt for hand quilting, with a 6 inch grid, same requirements and provisions as above.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:43 PM

Are you interested in taking up quilting? I am sure your wife is doing what she enjoys and if she wants to learn another skill like free motion quilting she will learn. Maybe she just enjoys creating the top of the quilt and letting another do the quilting. some of us enjoy the quilting process, while others don't. However, I do suggest that you let her live her life and enjoy itthis is a hobby and every hobby cost money.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
does she check up on the prices and expenditures you make for your hobbies and personal interest? are she and her artwork not worth $200? how long did she entertain herself with this quilt? is she going to be doing 2 a year or 20? Did she ask you to buy a longarm machine to save $200? they cost anywhere from $5000 to 30,000.....
I know that shelling out $150 to $200 for their wife's hobby is daunting for most men. But consider what you spend on your hobbies. My husband continually complained about the money I spent on my quilting(hundreds) all the while he was spending thousands on his machine shop. When he passed away, I bought a long arm quilting machine(thousands).
He is gone now and I don't regret one penny that he spent on his hobby. Consider how you would feel if you didn't have your wife to spend one or two hundred dollars on.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:08 AM

I would not suggest a beginner try to machine quilt a queen size quilt it is very hard to maneuver. I would suggest she do her own layer and binding. I also think the price was reasonable compared to Michigan. My grandma used to tie her quilts. But if she wants to machine quilt she should start with wall quilts or lap size quilts and work up to the big ones. Good luck to her.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:16 AM

I have had a few of my quilts that were full size done at the local quilt shop for 40.00 a piece and was quoted 90.00 for my queen size. she should call around...there are better prices out there. The LQS also will bind your quilt for 25.00 any size.

Last edited by carolaug; 12-13-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:17 AM

Better yet...buy her a Janome 7700 and then she can do her own quilting...that is what my hubby did...best investment ever...and so much fun.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:36 AM

I like your answer. He is a blight on our quilting.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:43 AM

I am a long arm quilter. The price depends on where you live and also the quilting being done. A queen sized quilt with the binding for $200 is reasonable.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:53 AM

I think $200.00 is a very good price for quilting a queen size. I have paid more also. The price you pay is determined by more than just the size of the quilt. I have quilted small quilts (baby) and tablerunners 0n my sewing machine but there is no way I would wrestle with a queen size, unless I had a long arm and I have been making quilts since 1976.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 AM

Most quilters in my area charge 1 1/2 cents per square inch. If you are not comfortable with free motion quilting on your own machine, it is well worth it and it's professionally done and looks beautiful. I've only made three quilts and have had them done on a long arm by someone else, then I do my own binding. That I can handle.