Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paying for the quilting >

Paying for the quilting

Paying for the quilting

Old 12-12-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
The real question is .... why is he asking for his wife?
If she was truly concerned, one would think that she'd be doing her own research.
Maybe he is the one "concerned" or just curious himself. Not that it matters.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by paulina View Post
Or she's not computer savvy!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:19 PM

I, too, had wondered about reasonable prices for long arm quilting. Thanks to everyone who replied!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:22 PM

I went on line and googled rent a machine and found one in my state that charges by the hour. They train you for a
small fee. I am going to try it.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:25 PM

depends on the size and detail of the quilting. Here it goes from 1.5 cents a square inch to 7 cents a square inch. Last queen I had done was 425 and I did my own binding but that was alot of feathers.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by paulina View Post
Then he shouldn't be posting it saying his wife wants to know .... and be upfront that he was wanting to know!
It came across very much that he was looking for us to stir the pot!!
As you said, not that it matters!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

The price to me is a normal price. I have been quilting several years and have my quilts done by a long arm quilter. Not everyone has the skills and artistic talent to quilt. If I am making a smaller quilt like lap size, then I will do some stitch in the ditch (which is about the easiest form of quilting). Binding is a relaxing part of the quilt plus it means the quilt is almost done. Good luck with what works for you.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM

The price is right in the range. Many of my customers don't want to quilt the quilt, they like to make the tops. This is supposed to be a hobby for your wife. Let her decide what parts she wants to take on. If you're concerned about the cost, set up a budget for the year for LA quilting, and let her work within it. Maybe she'll decide to quilt small quilts herself and send the big ones out.

I quilted a King size quilt on my regular sewing machine....once. Never again!! Just be glad you're not married to me - I went out a bought a LA, then later the computer. My husband was informed AFTER I made the decision.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM

The price quoted seems fair to me I have paid a lot more and I have paid less, for an all over same pattern machine quilted.

I too machine quilt most of my quilts, on the machine that I piece with. It is good that you have an interest in quilting because the most useful piece of equipment is another set of hands when layering and quilting, actually all the steps necessary to complete a quilt.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:13 PM

Default Paying for the quilting

I consider myself still a beginner and pay to have someone else do the quilting on bed size quilts. I always do my own
binding,which saves some $$. I also am learning to do machine quilting (hand quilting hurts my hands) on baby quilts,
table toppers, lap quilts, etc. But my Elna, while I love it, is just not set up to easily do a bed size, plus I don't have the
space to lay a bed size quilt out to baste. There is a new shop about 40 miles away that is a long arm machine shop--
both sales and renting time on one (you have to take a certification course first which I plan to do this summer). Look around and see if there is that kind of set-up in your area--then she can see if she really wants to do machine quilting on a long arm. I have a friend that does fairly inexpensive machine quilt who I send those quilts that are fairly plain("using quilts") but for my son's wedding quilt and another bargello I'm working on I intend to use another quilter that gets real fancy--and know I'll pay more. So there are many variables to consider.